Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch

Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:18 PM   #1
Hobojoe55
macrumors newbie

If you like Linux read this!

I am currently working on running Ubuntu on my 2g ipod. I am doing this in a similar way to how bochs can run Windows 98/Me on your ipod.

I am porting Virtual Box to run on the ipod touch (converting to .ipa) and installing it with installous. I am going to use Virtual Box to run linux.

I will report back when I am done.

Wish me luck!
Hobojoe55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:20 PM   #2
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Good luck, but dear god that'll run slow!

Take a video if you get it to boot.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:33 PM   #3
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

I wonder if itíll be fast enough to be usable?
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:35 PM   #4
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
I wonder if itíll be fast enough to be usable?
Not if it is running as a VM.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 09:38 PM   #5
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobilehaathi View Post
Not if it is running as a VM.
True... Even if he used a latest gen ipod....
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:08 PM   #6
Hobojoe55
macrumors newbie

I am not aiming for speed i am trying to get it to work. If it works I may improve. The 2g is just my test ipod and i will use a 4g if it works.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:09 PM   #7
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

It would be fun to do simply to see it done, but you'll never get it usable as a VM.

I'm happy to be proven wrong though!
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:15 PM   #8
Jessica Lares
macrumors 603

The current version of Ubuntu is too heavy for an iPod. I have an old HP machine that came with XP, and can run up to Windows 7 okay, but Ubuntu just lags. You're going to have to take all the eye candy away from it.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:18 PM   #9
Hobojoe55
macrumors newbie

I am using a version of ubuntu that my friend has customized for his homemade tablet all the drivers for touchscreen and all that are there. He even got multi touch to play nice.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:21 PM   #10
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

You might consider trying to boot a stripped down CLI only version of linux, particularly as a VM.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:37 PM   #11
Hobojoe55
macrumors newbie

Well..... I had a boot screen, then desktop, then a full system crash, now its bricked. I guess I'll work on this next week but I'm down for now.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:28 AM   #12
ScottishCaptain
macrumors 6502a

This thread is hysterical. Op needs to troll harder though, maybe some photoshopped "screenshots" would help?

Please, don't let me take you away from your valiant effort of "converting Virtual Box to an IPA file". If you have some time in the future grand sensei, I would very much appreciate to know how you managed to single-handedly port several hundred thousand lines of code to iOS, and how you managed to get a binary translator that predominantly targets an x86 host running on ARM instead.

What's that? Trade secret? Okay then . Hope you fix your "bricked" iPod Touch 2G. I hear "full system crashes" are particularly bad and difficult to recover from. Maybe we'll get an IPA release next week though!

-SC

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod touch