Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:21 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple's Pandora-like iRadio Service to Launch in 2013?

BTIG analyst Richard Greenfield is predicting that Apple will debut its long-rumored Pandora-like iRadio service to complement iTunes at some point in 2013. Previously, there were reports that Apple and the major music labels weren't close in negotiations, but Greenfield says they're still negotiating on song catalogs.
Quote:
"Consumer behavior (is) increasingly shifting toward access to a music catalog from ownership of specific songs. We expect iRadio to be incorporated into the iTunes iOS app with personalized radio functionality akin to Pandora, integrated with iTunes to purchase music and other music related content such as concert information/tickets/merchandise via*Live Nation*(LYV) and Ticketmaster."
Back in October, Bloomberg reported that Apple and music labels had re-entered intense negotiations and iRadio was set to debut in early 2013. CNET then reported in December that the sides were far apart because Apple's terms left the labels "cold."

Apple SVP of Internet Services and Software Eddy Cue is considered Apple's "master negotiator" for content deals, so any potential negotiations with music labels would likely go through him. Greenfield also predicts that Apple's long-rumored Apple TV won't debut in 2013 because of content restrictions.

Article Link: Apple's Pandora-like iRadio Service to Launch in 2013?
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:28 PM   #2
iPhoneApple
macrumors 6502

Excited for this!
iPhoneApple is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:23 PM   #3
iChrist
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by iPhoneApple View Post
Excited for this!

Yeah? Apple is copying Pandora... which has already been improved upon in every way by Spotify and Rdio.

Yeah, I can't wait for Ping v2.0 either!!

Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:28 PM   #4
netvvork
macrumors newbie

oh lord

they need to get itunes, itunes store, and itunes match working right first. the whole "it just works" thing has not been true for so long now. just today the mobile itunes store was making me want to punch babies because it took almost 5min to load my "purchased" list on my iphone. this is not downloading the list, mind you. this is just so i could look at it. sheesh. the reasons why i fell in love with apple are starting to stretch thin.
netvvork is offline   22 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:31 PM   #5
skysailing
macrumors regular

Confused as to what the hell the point of this would be...
skysailing is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:35 PM   #6
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailing View Post
Imagine streaming all content you own on iTunes like how pandora works but with music u own. Cutting out random songs u don't wanna hear

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by netvvork View Post
they need to get itunes, itunes store, and itunes match working right first. the whole "it just works" thing has not been true for so long now. just today the mobile itunes store was making me want to punch babies because it took almost 5min to load my "purchased" list on my iphone. this is not downloading the list, mind you. this is just so i could look at it. sheesh. the reasons why i fell in love with apple are starting to stretch thin.
Punch babies? Man you're mature
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:38 PM   #7
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Could be good, but it could also go the way of Ping....
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:38 PM   #8
ctdonath
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmhop81 View Post
Imagine streaming all content you own on iTunes like how pandora works but with music u own.
Uh, seems you missed the core quote: "Consumer behavior (is) increasingly shifting toward access to a music catalog from ownership of specific songs." The whole point is to NOT limit to what you own (however loosely defined), but to rent general access to large libraries. It would be integrated into iTunes, alongside whatever you own.
ctdonath is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:43 PM   #9
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Of course that quote doesn't appear to be based on any cited evidence. Sounds to me like his personal perspective and based on this, Apple must be doing something similar.

I remember people saying that about Apple must create a netbook because they were insanely popular and that consumers were moving away from buying expensive stuff especially expensive apple stuff (I'm paraphrasing here obviously)
pdjudd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:45 PM   #10
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctdonath View Post
Uh, seems you missed the core quote: "Consumer behavior (is) increasingly shifting toward access to a music catalog from ownership of specific songs." The whole point is to NOT limit to what you own (however loosely defined), but to rent general access to large libraries. It would be integrated into iTunes, alongside whatever you own.
What's the difference from pandora then? What music service provides streaming of your own content?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:45 PM   #11
thedeejay
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Imagine streaming all content you own on iTunes like how pandora works but with music u own. Cutting out random songs u don't wanna hear

----------

I could've sworn iTunes Match let us stream the music we "owned"/were in our library? So this could turn out to be interesting
thedeejay is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:47 PM   #12
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by thedeejay View Post
I could've sworn iTunes Match let us stream the music we "owned"/were in our library? So this could turn out to be interesting
iTunes Match is not streaming - you download the entire track which you can play while downloading. Very different.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:45 PM   #13
coldmack
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Imagine streaming all content you own on iTunes like how pandora works but with music u own. Cutting out random songs u don't wanna hear[COLOR="#808080"]
So, wouldn't that make it more like Google music then?
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:48 PM   #14
rmhop81
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldmack View Post
So, wouldn't that make it more like Google music then?
http://techland.time.com/2012/12/19/...mes-stateside/

Read first sentence, sums up google music
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:46 AM   #15
netvvork
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Imagine streaming all content you own on iTunes like how pandora works but with music u own.
Cutting out random songs u don't wanna hear

----------

You missed my point entirely. This is a discussion forum. Even though my choice of color may have been crude, my concern is still a valid one. Lighten up a little. Sheesh.
netvvork is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:25 AM   #16
Lesser Evets
macrumors 68030

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:03 AM   #17
Rogifan
macrumors G3

If an artist isn't part of something like Spotify would they be part of Apple's service? I've heard of artists (like Adele) who don't like Spotify holding their music back for a while (at least new music) or not allowing it on at all.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:41 AM   #18
Nebulance
macrumors regular

Quote:
isn't this the same as making a playlist in iTunes? iRadio doesn't make that better, it just duplicates that function.
Nebulance is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:36 PM   #19
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysailing View Post
Well. What's the point in Pandora ? It appears to be a popular program.

Apple wants to do the same thing using its huge music ecosystem .

I can see it happening. The elusive AppleTV seems destined for PowerBook G5 status.
Peace is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:59 AM   #20
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post

Try the analyst think Apple wants, or should want, this. There's no proof anything is happening at all, is or was ever intended.

This is up there with the whole 'two iPads released in the same year' which was said over and over and eventually came true. So why not keep saying this one and the TV set one and 'of course' the same thing will happen
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:36 PM   #21
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Outside if this prediction, exactly what evidence is there that such a service is being negotiated? I mean, this is just gossip as far as I can tell since this guy is just guessing based on his analysis that people are listening to more streaming music and therefore Apple must be working on some sort of Pandora killer despite there being no evidence that Apple is remotely interested in such a service.

Quote:
word on the street is that these services just bleed money.

Quote:
Says this guy. We don't even now if such negotiations are going on.

Quote:
I can see it happening. The elusive AppleTV seems destined for PowerBook G5 status.
Why? It's a ridiculously popular and cheap product that gets updated pretty regularly.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:47 PM   #22
Peace
macrumors P6

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post
Outside if this prediction, exactly what evidence is there that such a service is being negotiated? I mean, this is just gossip as far as I can tell since this guy is just guessing based on his analysis that people are listening to more streaming music and therefore Apple must be working on some sort of Pandora killer despite there being no evidence that Apple is remotely interested in such a service.

Says this guy. We don't even now if such negotiations are going on.

Why? It's a ridiculously popular and cheap product that gets updated pretty regularly.
I was referring to the Apple television.
Peace is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2013, 10:49 PM   #23
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
I was referring to the Apple television.
You mean the actual Television that Pundants say will defiantly exist next WWDC? Oh.
Old Jan 3, 2013, 11:42 PM   #24
matty.p
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdjudd View Post

Is iTunes a big money maker now anyways? I always was under the assumption that it was just a tool to tie in an ecosystem for hardware sales.

----------

I think a Pandora service would be a major coup for Apple. In my friend group (18-25) almost no one buys music from iTunes anymore. People use Spotify on their computers but I don't know anyone that actually pays for it. Then on the go everyone uses Pandora on their iPhone or Android. Could be huge for Apple if they do it right.
matty.p is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 12:01 AM   #25
pdjudd
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by matty.p View Post
Is iTunes a big money maker now anyways? I always was under the assumption that it was just a tool to tie in an ecosystem for hardware sales.

My recollection is that Apple actually makes money - not a whole lot, but the service does make them money enough to keep the system going. That isn't the case with services like Pandora which I hear looses money since there aren't enough people paying for the service.
----------

Quote:
I think a Pandora service would be a major coup for Apple. In my friend group (18-25) almost no one buys music from iTunes anymore. People use Spotify on their computers but I don't know anyone that actually pays for it. Then on the go everyone uses Pandora on their iPhone or Android. Could be huge for Apple if they do it right.
I don't think your group of friends is enough to make a statement with any real accuracy - it's way too small. Plus, why would Apple release a service that is music based that nobody (really) would pay for that they have no incentive to release on other platforms, that would have to compete equally with other services that are multi-platform (and web based) that people already use and are happy with.

People like services like Spotify and Pandora because they are available everywhere. Apple's proposed service would surely be not only DRM heavy but Apple device or iTunes only.

I just don't see it happening. Apple has always been about owning content. They have shrugged off rental services for years despite people saying that Apple has to do this since everybody else does it.
pdjudd is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion