Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod

Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:55 AM   #1
vincelam
macrumors newbie

Is it worth getting the new iPod Nano?

my 6th gen broke and i am indecisive whether i should get the 7th gen or wait for the 8th
vincelam is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:08 AM   #2
MultiFinder17
macrumors 65816

The current generation is only a few months old at this point; there will not be another iPod update until the end of the year, around September/October. And who knows if the nano will even be updated then? The last design lasted two years. The current iPod nano is a great little iPod; if you need it, get it and you won't be disappointed
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:47 AM   #3
ftaok
macrumors 601

There are some things that the 7G nano doesn't have that could be dealbreakers for 6G owners. For one, the 7G doesn't have a clip. Another is that the 7G can't be used as a watch.

The 7G does bring some cool stuff to the table, though. Bluetooth, full Nike+ support (works with sensor and HR strap; perhaps not the remote though) without dongle, video capabilities, etc.

Only you can decide whether it meets your needs.

As for the 6G, how is it broken? Is it just a dead battery. Did the buttons stop working? Not sure about the warranty laws/rules in Australia, but in the US, Apple has a program to replace* dead batteries for $59. (* - replacing the battery means giving you a new/refurb ipod).

Perhaps if you have a dead battery, Apple Australia has a similar program. If it's the buttons, you may want to see if Apple will give you a replacement for a nominal fee. Or you can fix it yourself as the button problem is sort of common and someone with a moderate skill set can fix, provided your OK with a heat gun to loosen the glue.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 12:07 AM   #4
vincelam
macrumors newbie

the button broke but i didn't want to fix it as it costs AU$75 to replace for a refurb model. I felt that i might get a new one when i go overseas. because its been past 3 months i might wait for the next gen or simply just not get one. i already got an iPad mini and iPhone 4 but there is not enough space to store my music
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:07 AM   #5
Lil Chillbil
macrumors 65816

I would wait for the 8th gen to arrive
Old Jan 5, 2013, 10:58 AM   #6
Photoshopper
macrumors regular

Not sure what 8th gen would bring to the table.
Bought the 7 for my wife, she likes to listen to FM on occasion, and like the idea of being able to finally go wireless with Bluetooth headset.
Old Jan 5, 2013, 02:51 PM   #7
ftaok
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincelam View Post
the button broke but i didn't want to fix it as it costs AU$75 to replace for a refurb model. I felt that i might get a new one when i go overseas. because its been past 3 months i might wait for the next gen or simply just not get one. i already got an iPad mini and iPhone 4 but there is not enough space to store my music
Vince, I remember seeing a blog post somewhere where the guy fixes a 6g nano that had a bad button. It didn't seem too hard to do. It had something to do with the way the buttons are attached and you need a better shim.
ftaok is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 09:13 PM   #8
vincelam
macrumors newbie

I've seen many of them before. I just didn't want to risk damaging it. I also don't have the tools for it. In Australia some resellers are selling the 8gb 4 th gen iPod touch for only $129. I might buy that consider you can do way more on that device. But only time can tell if I buy the 7th gen nano. Thanks ftaok!

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPod