Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone

Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:20 AM   #1
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

An overlooked perk of the iPhone

I have taken it for granted after 3 years with the iphone uninterupted was the lack of branding....

I was tempted to look at the note as an additional line until i saw this

Thumb resize.

Last edited by maflynn; Jan 4, 2013 at 06:22 AM. Reason: timg tags for large images
SilentLoner is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:42 AM   #2
Nale72
macrumors regular

Well, I'd say that's generally not an iPhone vs Android Phone kind of thing, but a carrier specific thing. At least here in Sweden we don't have to put up with that kind of branding on any phones.
Nale72 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:45 AM   #3
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nale72 View Post
Well, I'd say that's generally not an iPhone vs Android Phone kind of thing, but a carrier specific thing. At least here in Sweden we don't have to put up with that kind of branding on any phones.
Yeah I understand that and I can't wait to move to sweden either but there is no branding at all on any iPhone where the carriers as allowed to do it for androids.
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:52 AM   #4
Skika
macrumors 68020

Thumbs down

Absolutely disgusting.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 02:48 PM   #5
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skika View Post
Absolutely disgusting.
I bet Verizon doesn't think so. It's no big deal anyway, most people use cases.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 04:54 AM   #6
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Oh well, at least it's nice Polyvinyl Chloride enclosure so nothing a bit of sandpaper can't cure
Confuzzzed is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:40 AM   #7
AFDoc
macrumors 68000

OP does it really bother you that much? Enough to keep you from buying a device? Wow, I wish that insignificant little thing was what I had to worry about.
AFDoc is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:13 AM   #8
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

All that branding doesn't stop on the outside.

One of the main reasons people root their Android device is to rid it of carrier installed bloatware.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:25 AM   #9
SilentLoner
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFDoc View Post
OP does it really bother you that much? Enough to keep you from buying a device? Wow, I wish that insignificant little thing was what I had to worry about.
Thanks for the sarcastic tone. I am originally from England so I buy unlocked anyways but when you are still spending $300 on a carrier locked phone it's a pain along with bloatware
SilentLoner is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 11:51 PM   #10
tl01
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I'm with you on this one and my husband would be too. He's be appalled that someone would worry about something this.
tl01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:28 AM   #11
hafr
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nale72 View Post
Really? When I lived there (early 2000) there were plenty of branded phones. I specifically remember one brand, it was a red(dish) circle... Ugly as all hell. Not to mention 3, every single phone had their logo on them. Glad to hear they've stopped
hafr is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 05:59 AM   #12
ItsNeil4Real
macrumors newbie

The branding is whatever. A lot of times you get a case. The thing I think most people overlook is bloat ware!! Just got my girlfriends dad an LG Intuition for a steal and in the applications thing it had almost 3 pages of crap that you can't remove. Of course the apps aren't actually installed but you can't remove the damn icons and it just adds so much clutter!
ItsNeil4Real is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:11 AM   #13
Menel
macrumors 601

The back doesn't seem bad. The home button thing on the front seems awfully gaudy.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:59 AM   #14
CoMoMacUser
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsNeil4Real View Post
The thing I think most people overlook is bloat ware!!
Agreed.

Last edited by balamw; Jan 4, 2013 at 06:04 PM. Reason: fixed quote
CoMoMacUser is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 09:53 AM   #15
BigMcGuire
macrumors 6502

Quote:
The branding is whatever. A lot of times you get a case. The thing I think most people overlook is bloat ware!! Just got my girlfriends dad an LG Intuition for a steal and in the applications thing it had almost 3 pages of crap that you can't remove. Of course the apps aren't actually installed but you can't remove the damn icons and it just adds so much clutter!
This.... This x5000000. ^^ Highlight this. This is what drove me from 3 years of Android (Rooting, even helping beta test roms). I was so tired of having to root to get rid of Adware on a $700 device that I PAID FOR. Good job Android, you helped me, my family, my friends move to Apple. <clap clap>

----------

@AFDoc and @pat park

I don't usually enjoy those soaps on TV but reading your posts while drinking coffee before starting my work day was kinda fun. Thanks. lol.
BigMcGuire is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:15 AM   #16
AlphaHumanus
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Sort of, yes. If I'm going to throw down money on anything, I get what I want, how I want it. And because I'm a ********** boss, I keep my **** handled enough to be concerned with such "insignificant" things. Get a sense of humor.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnLT13 View Post
i don't see the big deal about branding. Its on everything we own anyway.
Some people consider branding a status symbol. The North Face anyone?
Cant say id ever choose a phone because of branding. My Nike sneakers have 4 swoosh logos on each one. And I've never seen anyone rip the Mercedes Logo off their car. This thread is foolish, carry on.
While I understand your point, I feel it's a bit off. Most buy NF, Nike, Apple, whatever, for the logo as much as the product. Most quality merchandise actually uses the logo in an aesthetically pleasing way. But what we're discussing here is equivalent to my Northface/Nike having an additional vendor logo sewn on. Just imagine your brand new NF having a big walmart logo on the back.

Also, MANY people take the logos off their cars. It's called de-branding, and (imo) it gives an already nice car much more personality and "mystique."
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:12 PM   #17
Oracle1729
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It's not 3 pages, but I wish I could remove garbage like newstand, the itunes store, their clock, notes, stock apps, etc. I have them all shoved in a folder on my last page (except newstand of course since apple was feeling especially evil that month). I either use better alternatives (like stocks) or don't use them at all, so why do I need them cluttering up my iphone? For that matter, why is my 16 gig iPad 4 closer to 11 gig fresh out of the box?
Oracle1729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 5, 2013, 01:14 PM   #18
maflynn

Generally speaking many people root their device so they have the ability to remove the crapware that is installed. Another benefit with the iPhone is that we don't see any carrier crapware installed.
maflynn is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:37 AM   #19
harcosparky
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentLoner View Post
I have taken it for granted after 3 years with the iphone uninterupted was the lack of branding....

I was tempted to look at the note as an additional line until i saw this

Thumb resize.
So there is no branding on the back of your iPhone?

What do you call the back there?

That's BRANDING !
Old Jan 4, 2013, 06:46 AM   #20
darster
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by harcosparky View Post
So there is no branding on the back of your iPhone?

What do you call the back there?

That's BRANDING !
There you go throwing reality at us.
darster is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:01 AM   #21
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

Some people consider branding a status symbol. The North Face anyone?
Cant say id ever choose a phone because of branding. My Nike sneakers have 4 swoosh logos on each one. And I've never seen anyone rip the Mercedes Logo off their car. This thread is foolish, carry on.
JohnLT13 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:14 AM   #22
corvus32
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I don't mind a logo or two on the back. It's carriers going NASCAR, and branding devices inside and out with their logos and bloatware that turns me away.
Old Jan 4, 2013, 07:21 AM   #23
JohnLT13
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by corvus32 View Post
I don't mind a logo or two on the back. It's carriers going NASCAR, and branding devices inside and out with their logos and bloatware that turns me away.
I dont know about the Bloatware but to some the single is a status symbol, were as a samsung is not. JMO i may be wrong.
JohnLT13 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 08:31 AM   #24
iceterminal
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Congratulations. Your training is complete.

The only worth these items have is the one you give them.
iceterminal is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2013, 10:47 AM   #25
SLC Flyfishing
macrumors 65816

I can't stand the bloat ware or the logos where I can't cover them up. My iPhone has a case on it so outside the Verizon name on the carrier bar in the top left corner, there are no obvious signs of branding. That's the way I like it.

If Verizon painted a huge logo on the front of the iPhone like they did on the note2 in the OP, I'd probably have stayed with AT&T.

Sure, these are minor issues. But this whole forum deals with nothing but minor issues. It's time people like AF-whatever his username is stop acting surprised when people talk about them.
SLC Flyfishing is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPhone