Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA
I'm trying to add a link to my PDF file, but I see no chain link at the bottom of my annotation toobar and under "annotation," the "add link," is grayed out. Would someone be so kind as to tell me what I'm doing wrong? Thanx in advance!

P.S. Please, if anyone here knows, I'd really appreciate your help. Thank you.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
I guess you use Mac OS X' own Preview application to do so?

EDIT: Again, was too bored and found the solution, if you use Preview:

This article, titled Add links to PDF’s in Mac OS X, found via this search, brought me to this:
10pnipl.png

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
You can do stuff in PDFs using Preview? I thought you could just create them starting with a document from another application?

Depending on the type of PDF, you can do lots of things, not only merge them, as far as I have found out via searches for others asking this and that, as my PDF editing needs are quite low, and when I have to handle a PDF, it is a badly formatted one and I have to take the long road (Photoshop the last time).

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA
Depending on the type of PDF, you can do lots of things, not only merge them, as far as I have found out via searches for others asking this and that, as my PDF editing needs are quite low, and when I have to handle a PDF, it is a badly formatted one and I have to take the long road (Photoshop the last time).

Ok Simsalad and Huntn, I should have explained that I took a snapshot of a piece of my desktop and it showed up as a PDF file, which I want to load up as a photo on a website. I went to annotation and put text into snapshot which showed up as a PDF file. Some of the text that I put into that PDF (the snapshot) I wanted to turn into a hyperlink, which I could not do, because "Add Link," was grayed out. I hope I haven't confused you. Thank you for responding to my question.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Ok Simsalad and Huntn, I should have explained that I took a snapshot of a piece of my desktop and it showed up as a PDF file, which I want to load up as a photo on a website. I went to annotation and put text into snapshot which showed up as a PDF file. Some of the text that I put into that PDF (the snapshot) I wanted to turn into a hyperlink, which I could not do, because "Add Link," was grayed out. I hope I haven't confused you. Thank you for responding to my question.

How did you take that snapshot on what Mac OS X version? Because normally using the built-in tools of Mac OS X gets you a PNG file, which is an image file, thus cannot have links inside, unless you turn it into a text document.

Anyway, I just took a screenshot of my Desktop via CMD+SHIFT+4 and selected an area to shoot, then a PNG file got created, then I have opened that file in Preview, then I added text via the Annotation Tool and saved it as PDF.
I reopened the PDF and was not able to select the text.

Another idea, if you screenshot something with text, that text will be handled as graphic, not as text, thus it is not selectable.

Or do you mean something else?

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the
edit.gif
button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the
MR_Edit_GoAdvanced_button.png
button below your message.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA
How did you take that snapshot on what Mac OS X version? Because normally using the built-in tools of Mac OS X gets you a PNG file, which is an image file, thus cannot have links inside, unless you turn it into a text document.

Anyway, I just took a screenshot of my Desktop via CMD+SHIFT+4 and selected an area to shoot, then a PNG file got created, then I have opened that file in Preview, then I added text via the Annotation Tool and saved it as PDF.
I reopened the PDF and was not able to select the text.

Another idea, if you screenshot something with text, that text will be handled as graphic, not as text, thus it is not selectable.

Or do you mean something else?

To edit your thread title to a descriptive one, to get a knowledgable audience and help making the thread easier to find for people looking for the same information, just click on the Image button on the bottom right of your original post and then click the Image button below your message.

Thanx! I'll give your suggestions a try.

Nov 28, 2010
located
Thanx! I'll give your suggestions a try.

There was only one suggestion about the thread title. The rest was asking you, if you have PDF confused with PNG, and then showing you, that using a PNG will not work the way you intend to.
In order to get further help, you at least have to answer the questions.

kathryne_B

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 9, 2005
CA
There was only one suggestion about the thread title. The rest was asking you, if you have PDF confused with PNG, and then showing you, that using a PNG will not work the way you intend to.
In order to get further help, you at least have to answer the questions.

No, there is no confusion about the two. And the way I took the snapshot is the same way you described taking yours. It's really probably too complex to try to explain. I'll play around with it and see what I can do, but your post has given me some ideas and if it doesn't work, well it doesn't. Thanx.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2010
located
No, there is no confusion about the two. And the way I took the snapshot is the same way you described taking yours. It's really probably too complex to try to explain. I'll play around with it and see what I can do, but your post has given me some ideas and if it doesn't work, well it doesn't. Thanx.

But you get PDFs instead of PNGs?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.