Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Hi,

Does anyone know how to edit the genres.plist in iTunes so that I can add a genre for Rock'N'Roll with a custom thumbnail?

I've done it for other genres, but there is a conflict with the existing Rock genre (which I also want to keep),

I have done it before just by chance, but I have forgotten how.

Cheers.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
The genres.plist is in iTunes/Contents/resources

Right click on iTunes and select "Show Package Contents"

Thumbnails are also there genre-....

You can add a genre and add a thumbnail after editing the genres.plist file.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
The genres.plist is in iTunes/Contents/resources

Right click on iTunes and select "Show Package Contents"

Thumbnails are also there genre-....

Thanks, justperry.

Sorry, my post wasn't very clear - I know how to edit the plist in general, but it is the conflict between Rock and Rock'N'Roll that is causing the problem.

Cheers.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanks, justperry.

Sorry, my post wasn't very clear - I know how to edit the plist in general, but it is the conflict between Rock and Rock'N'Roll that is causing the problem.

Cheers.

Trying to understand here, I made a new entry in the genres.plist (Rock'N'Roll) and opened iTunes to see if I get a conflict, BUT, the genre doesn't even show up????

So, sadly I can't give you an answer here.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Trying to understand here, I made a new entry in the genres.plist (Rock'N'Roll) and opened iTunes to see if I get a conflict, BUT, the genre doesn't even show up????

So, sadly I can't give you an answer here.

Again my fault :( - sorry.

The conflict arises with the thumbnail - the Rock genre thumbnail appears when I add Rock'N'Roll (or any similar variation). It seems that iTunes only "sees" the Rock in Rock'N'Roll.

Also, just adding the genre to the plist doesn't automatically add a new genre to iTunes - you have to add the new genre yourself by adding a song or editing the info.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Again my fault :( - sorry.

The conflict arises with the thumbnail - the Rock genre thumbnail appears when I add Rock'N'Roll (or any similar variation). It seems that iTunes only "sees" the Rock in Rock'N'Roll.

Also, just adding the genre to the plist doesn't automatically add a new genre to iTunes - you have to add the new genre yourself by adding a song or editing the info.

Odd it won't add the genre, I thought the ones in the plist file are the standard ones, have to try it out in a new Library with one genre.

I think I understand now, you did add a thumbnail in the resources, and if that is the case than I find it odd it has this conflict.

I will try later on, it's fairly late, will do tomorrow.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
Odd it won't add the genre, I thought the ones in the plist file are the standard ones, have to try it out in a new Library with one genre.

I think I understand now, you did add a thumbnail in the resources, and if that is the case than I find it odd it has this conflict.

I will try later on, it's fairly late, will do tomorrow.

Thanks , justperry, I appreciate it.

AeroBar

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 21, 2009
I tried but I don't see any thumbnnails, I know I saw them but this migh be a long time ago.

So, how do these Thumbnails show up.
I kinda feel weird now, your asking a question and I offered help but I can't even see any thumbnail.

I think I better start again as my other posts are pretty poor.:eek:

I want to create a new genre in iTunes called Rock'N'Roll or something similar - and I have a thumbnail image to go with it,

I have added the image to Resources and edited the plist.

I then edit the info on a song to change the genre to Rock'N'Roll.

Then the new genre appears in iTunes.

However, the thumbnail shows the artwork for Rock.

It is as though iTunes cannot see the 'N'Roll, just the Rock.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I think I better start again as my other posts are pretty poor.:eek:

I want to create a new genre in iTunes called Rock'N'Roll or something similar - and I have a thumbnail image to go with it,

I have added the image to Resources and edited the plist.

I then edit the info on a song to change the genre to Rock'N'Roll.

Then the new genre appears in iTunes.

However, the thumbnail shows the artwork for Rock.

It is as though iTunes cannot see the 'N'Roll, just the Rock.

I do understand, but my problem is that I don't know how to show these thumbnails, I tried many things yesterday after my last post but, or I am stupid:eek: or it does not work on my Mac.

I have seen these thumbnails, but that's long ago, can't even remember when, most of my Music has Art and the ones without just show an empty box.
I like to help but as I told you before I can't even figure out to see these thumbnails.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.