Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:26 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

CES 2013: COOKOO Watch Brings 'Bluetooth Smart' Connectivity to iOS Devices

One of the technologies that we've been looking forward to becoming more prevalent in iOS accessories is the incorporation of low-power Bluetooth 4.0, now known as Bluetooth Smart. The technology allows for low-power long term connectivity between your iOS devices and your accessories. Kickstarter-backed e-paper Pebble watch was one example that generated an enormous amount of interest with over $10 million in pre-sales.

ConnecteDevice today announced the worldwide launch of their COOKOO watch which also begin life as life as a KickStarter project.

The company describes the watch as a designer watch that combines analog movement with a connected digital display. By using a freely available app, users can pick and choose which notifications that appear on their watch.

The watch can display notifications for:

- Incoming Calls
- Missed Calls
- Facebook Messages and Posts
- Calendar Reminders
- When a Smart Device (iPhone, iPad, etc..) is out of range
- When a Smart Device (iPhone, iPad, etc..) is low on Battery

It also has a customizable command button which can find your phone, snap a photo, check-in to Facebook or tag your location on a map.

The watch uses a standard button-cell battery that will last up to one year. It is scratch resistant and water resistant. COOKOO supports the iPhone 5, iPhone 4S, iPad mini, iPad (4th & 3rd generation), and iPod touch (5th generation). The watch is priced at $129 in 5 different colors.

ConnecteDevice says the watch is shipping now and they will be showing it at CES 2013. Based on comments by early Kickstarter backers, it seems there are some dropped-connectivity complaints with the first version of the software that the company says they are addressing in an upcoming update.

Article Link: CES 2013: COOKOO Watch Brings 'Bluetooth Smart' Connectivity to iOS Devices
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:28 PM   #2
NutsNGum
macrumors 68030

Am I the only one who doesn't understand why these watches are such a big deal?
NutsNGum is offline   34 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:29 PM   #3
gmanist1000
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
Am I the only one who doesn't understand why these watches are such a big deal?
So you don't have to take your phone out of your pocket, I assume.
gmanist1000 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:32 PM   #4
yanki01
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
because that's so hard to do.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:34 PM   #5
goobot
macrumors 601

I can see the alert if your device is no longer in range useful if someone try's to steal you phone or iPad.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:16 PM   #6
GenesisST
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanki01 View Post
You don't live in snow, do you? (i know your profile says Texas)

With a parka, big mittens while shoveling, it is hard to get it out

Then again the watch will be buried too!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 06:06 PM   #7
manu chao
macrumors 68020

Quote:
For checking the time, wristwatches have overwhelmingly beaten the pocket watch. Apparently, taking a watch out of pocket is inconvenient enough that almost everybody prefers a wristwatch.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NutsNGum View Post
But if I'm getting a call or message, my phone is either ringing, or vibrating. If I receive a FaceBook message, my phone receives a push notification and dings. And all my devices are already synced to my calendars, so I get notifications through the computer, iPhone and iPad already.
Women often don't have their phone in their pant pockets and won't notice a vibration.
manu chao is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 09:07 PM   #8
aziatiklover
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Yes because when I ride my bike it is pretty damn hard! So a simple look over my watch i can see who is calling and pull over at a gas station!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecurryman View Post
Its a smart, cool, and new innovative idea to be more connected to our phones...to bad at $127 it prices itself out of many consumers wallets....
Why is that? Do you buy $15 casio watch or fossil bro? $127 is pretty damn cheap for a watch! I guess you never heard of movado, rolex, rado etc.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 10:37 PM   #9
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by aziatiklover View Post
Why is that? Do you buy $15 casio watch or fossil bro? $127 is pretty damn cheap for a watch! I guess you never heard of movado, rolex, rado etc.
Seems to me if you're the type to spend $300+ on a "real" watch, you wouldn't be caught dead wearing one of these... and that pretty much leaves everybody else, most of whom would be quite content with a $20 Casio from Walmart. It tells the time, what more do you want? For them, this might be a tough sell.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 11:39 PM   #10
Geckotek
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmanist1000 View Post
Quote:
You guys really have your phone on your person 24/7? Wow...that's dilligence.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by NedBookPro View Post
Good idea, but the watch is so chunky. Way too chunky.

The woman in the first segment of the video looks like she's wearing a lump of brick on her wrist.

I'd love to see a nice looking watch with this functionality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by testcard View Post
Needs to be slimmed down - much too thick.
Yeah, my first reaction as well.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by elasticmedia View Post
I know everybody is doing the pile-on here, but there are some things that would be very cool. The find my phone button is great. While I keep my phone in my pocket, many women don't because pants manufacturers have decided that women don't need pockets and pants don't come with them. Often women keep phones in purses and when they are on silent, they don't get the calls.
This has frustrated me more than once when contacting female friends. Next time I start dating, I'm buying my girlfriend one of these. (J/K...if I did and she knew why she may not stay my gf for long.)

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRondeau View Post
My ten-year-old nephew wouldn't be caught dead wearing this thing. I haven't worn a watch since I bought a cell phone and I'm not going to start wearing one now. This would have been very cool in 1983. In 2013 not so much. Next.
LOL....are you a teenager? Adults still wear watches.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 12:05 AM   #11
AbSoluTc
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
You guys really have your phone on your person 24/7? Wow...that's dilligence.

----------

Yeah, my first reaction as well.

----------

This has frustrated me more than once when contacting female friends. Next time I start dating, I'm buying my girlfriend one of these. (J/K...if I did and she knew why she may not stay my gf for long.)

----------

Who doesn't have their phone within a few feet of them? I mean, most phones today are communications hubs. The phone portion is taking a back seat to internet, email, texting, twitter and all that. Only time I make a phone call is when I can't convey something via text or I'm driving.

Watches are more of an accessory now. Most are over priced, made in China wrist bands. This watch just moves features to your wrist and not much else. Whereas most people have the phone right there next to them or in their hands. Doesn't seem very useful.

Though I do get it. For those that still use watches, this is a cool device that has ADDITIONAL features that work with your phone/device.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:58 AM   #12
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geckotek View Post
Heh. Depends on the adult I guess. I stopped wearing a watch in 2008. I still remember the circumstances too. I was on a road trip and camping in a tent that weekend. The strap broke* -- the second time I had bought this exact model of watch and had it break the exact same way. I gave up on this model in disgust, I wasn't going to buy a third one. The rest of that week I relied on my cell phone to tell the time. It was always in my pocket anyway. I guess I just got used to it, because I don't wear a watch anymore...

*Actually it was the plastic housing that holds the strap pin in place that cracked. Not repairable on these inexpensive watches.

Last edited by notjustjay; Jan 7, 2013 at 10:12 AM.
notjustjay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:28 AM   #13
snowmen
macrumors member

Quote:
Yes.

Try to take your phone on on ski hill where temperature are -35 with wind chill and your phone is in your pocket deep inside 2 sweaters and a snow jacket. At least this watch will tell you if it worth the effort to take it out or not...
snowmen is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:29 PM   #14
DogHouseDub
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmen View Post
Yes.

Try to take your phone on on ski hill where temperature are -35 with wind chill and your phone is in your pocket deep inside 2 sweaters and a snow jacket. At least this watch will tell you if it worth the effort to take it out or not...
You're enjoying a day on the mountain - unplug for a few hours for christ sakes
DogHouseDub is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 04:30 PM   #15
Thunderhawks
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowmen View Post
Yes.

Or,
imagine you are in the middle of a parachute jump and it can tell you not to forget to pull the cord.

try to be run over by a car swimming in the ocean / be under water
(the thing is supposed to be waterproof)

I am sure we can find more activities we do 24/7 without our iPhones near by.
Old Jan 6, 2013, 02:33 PM   #16
thecurryman
macrumors 6502

Its a smart, cool, and new innovative idea to be more connected to our phones...to bad at $127 it prices itself out of many consumers wallets....
thecurryman is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:11 PM   #17
slicecom
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecurryman View Post
to bad at $127 it prices itself out of many consumers wallets....
The low price of $127 is about the only thing this watch has going for it. I'd gladly pay twice that for a watch that has the same functions but doesn't look so cheap and goofy.
slicecom is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:17 PM   #18
RolyPolyBird
macrumors regular

One great use for this would be if you could just vibrate and no beep.. this could be the perfect alarm for couples who wake up at different times...
RolyPolyBird is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:21 PM   #19
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

I like the idea, and the innovation. More of these kinds of products will hopefully enter the market as well.

As far as this watch goes, no thanks. But I do like the idea
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:30 PM   #20
tann
macrumors 65816

Damn cool! These watches will be commonplace in a few years I hope. I used to wear a watch everyday, then my phone became my watch, now if a watch could tell me what song I was playing, or who was calling me (or what a text said) then I'd be all over that.

This seems to tell you you have a facebook notification, or a tweet, but not what it says. The Pebble 'wins' in that regard, but I still want something that can do SMS's.

After that I'll sure as hell wear a watch every day again!!
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:37 PM   #21
partyBoy
Banned

ill pass, overrated...ill rather get the ipod nano and the watch band
partyBoy is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 03:43 PM   #22
iVoid
macrumors 65816

So the watch looks like it is thicker than the iPhone 5.

I don't even wear a watch any more... don't think this will make me start again.
iVoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 04:13 PM   #23
illegalprelude
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to illegalprelude Send a message via MSN to illegalprelude Send a message via Yahoo to illegalprelude
I get the things its suppose to do, but I don't get how. I don't like how the video doesn't show anything. On the Pebble, I get where messages appear, here, I get that .5-inch area of the watch for that info? wtf?
illegalprelude is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:02 PM   #24
olowott
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via MSN to olowott
impressive , still

no wonder there are rumours about apple iwatch
Old Jan 6, 2013, 05:03 PM   #25
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

130 to tell the time? Lol.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion