Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sgthree

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 10, 2012
I have a usb device which reads rfid tags. On my window pc I have a program which takes the code from a scanned chip and sends it as a 12 character string to whatever program has the keyboard focus. I need to accomplish the same result on a mac running OS X 10.8

I can read the input from the device from /dev/cu.SLAB_USBtoUART, and have written a command line objective-C program that massages the input to remove the extraneous info and sends the required 12 character code to stdout.

How to I get the system to treat the output from this program as keyboard input?

The end result that I want is for the scanned code to be entered into a form field in a web browser running on the mac with a return so that when an rfid chip is scanned, the web brewer submits a form with that chips code.

ytk

macrumors 6502
Jul 8, 2010
I think you're saying you just want to send the text you get from the reader as if it were typed text? If so, you can do this with AppleScript.

Code:
tell application "System Events" to keystroke "foobar"

You can easily issue AppleScript commands from the command line (or another application) using osascript:

Code:
osascript -e 'tell application "System Events" to keystroke "foobar"'

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.