Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:42 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Announces 40 Billion App Store Downloads, Nearly 20 Billion in 2012

Apple today announced that the App Store has reached another milestone, passing 40 billion downloads since its launch in 2008. The pace of downloads continues to accelerate, with nearly half of those downloads coming in 2012.

Apple now has 500 million user accounts for the App Store, and set a record with over two billion downloads during the month of December.
Quote:
"It has been an incredible year for the iOS developer community," said Eddy Cue, Apple's senior vice president of Internet Software and Services. "Developers have made over seven billion dollars on the App Store, and we continue to invest in providing them with the best ecosystem so they can create the most innovative apps in the world."
Apple notes that there are now over 775,000 apps available in the App Store and highlights the success of a number of developers including Temple Run's Imangi Studios, Autodesk, and others.
Quote:
In 2012, the husband and wife team at Imangi Studios saw their game Temple Run downloaded more than 75 million times; Backflip Studios and Supercell, two emerging game development studios, brought in over $100 million combined for their leading freemium titles DragonVale and Clash of Clans; and emerging services including Uber, Flipboard, HotelTonight, and AirBnB attracted millions of users on iOS. Companies including Electronic Arts, Ubisoft, Autodesk, Marvel and Major League Baseball continued to expand their iOS offerings, while developers like JJ Abrams' Bad Robot Interactive and Bottle Rocket Apps continued to push the boundaries of what iOS apps can do.
Article Link: Apple Announces 40 Billion App Store Downloads, Nearly 20 Billion in 2012
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:45 AM   #2
sammich
macrumors 601

I want to see what kind of bandwidth Apple is responsible for globally.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:54 AM   #3
Laird Knox
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sy7ygy View Post
Why??

@ Apple; don't care.. bring back Apple polish, not download ratings please..
Laird Knox is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:47 AM   #4
r2shyyou
macrumors 68000

Just this morning I was wondering how many app downloads Apple had facilitated, kinda sorta hoping there was another of those $10,000 iTunes gift card contests for the whatever-th download just around the corner.

Maybe at 50 billion? Or all the way to 100?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:49 AM   #5
iphone495
macrumors member

It's no secret that Apple's growth is exponential.
iphone495 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:56 AM   #6
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

I don't get why they brag so much about 775,000 apps. It's getting harder and harder to find decent ones.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:14 AM   #7
tirk
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FSMBP View Post
I don't get why they brag so much about 775,000 apps. It's getting harder and harder to find decent ones.
The answer to your question is in your second sentence.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:22 AM   #8
barkomatic
macrumors 68040

Quote:
That can be subjective. Even fart apps could be useful to a 10 year old.
barkomatic is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:18 AM   #9
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by barkomatic View Post
That can be subjective. Even fart apps could be useful to a 10 year old.
While you are correct that 'decent' and 'useful' are subjective. There still needs to be better data for finding them, whatever they are
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:11 AM   #10
ericinboston
macrumors 68000

Quote:
I have to agree...not to mention that folks like my family who have a number of iOS devices CANNOT use some/many of the apps we've purchased because Apple demands the iOS on the devices to be upgraded AS WELL AS iTunes upgraded all the time. Do you upgrade your computer OS every 9 months? Me neither. What about your PS3 or Xbox? What about your cablebox? Well, we choose not to muck around with our ENTIRE DEVICE just to get a 99 cent app to work.

Back to your point...I probably have found (but not bought) at most 30 apps that have any real value...regardless if they are .99 or 2.99.

I'd also like to know how "download" is calculated. For example, if I buy an app and download it 5 times for my 5 devices, is that 1 download or 5? I only bought it once. What about an app that has an in-store-purchase? Do in-store-purchases count as a "download" for the mother app? Or what about folks who download the "free" app and then press the button to buy the "full version"?
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:14 AM   #11
Oletros
macrumors 603

Impressive numbers
Oletros is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:39 AM   #12
chrisbru
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericinboston View Post
I have to agree...not to mention that folks like my family who have a number of iOS devices CANNOT use some/many of the apps we've purchased because Apple demands the iOS on the devices to be upgraded AS WELL AS iTunes upgraded all the time. Do you upgrade your computer OS every 9 months? Me neither. What about your PS3 or Xbox? What about your cablebox? Well, we choose not to muck around with our ENTIRE DEVICE just to get a 99 cent app to work.

Back to your point...I probably have found (but not bought) at most 30 apps that have any real value...regardless if they are .99 or 2.99.

I'd also like to know how "download" is calculated. For example, if I buy an app and download it 5 times for my 5 devices, is that 1 download or 5? I only bought it once. What about an app that has an in-store-purchase? Do in-store-purchases count as a "download" for the mother app? Or what about folks who download the "free" app and then press the button to buy the "full version"?

I don't understand what you are saying. Why are you against updating iTunes? That's not at all akin to updating your computer OS (though I do update once a year currently) or your cable box/gaming console.

As for the buy once, download on all 5 devices... As long as its under one account, that would be counted as a re-download and excluded from the 40 billion number as per the asterisk on the statement pointed out earlier. The free-to-paid would probably count as 2 downloads, but I'm not positive.
chrisbru is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:45 AM   #13
etrinh
macrumors regular

Quote:

The original sorce article states that's re-downloads are excluded from the tally
etrinh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:51 AM   #14
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
What about your PS3 or Xbox?
Um, yes actually - my PS3 gets frequent (and required) system updates.

Quote:
Wow. Just wow. You must have extremely....exotic needs.
LagunaSol is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:26 AM   #15
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
I have to agree...not to mention that folks like my family who have a number of iOS devices CANNOT use some/many of the apps we've purchased because Apple demands
The above needs a slight correction. Apple isn't who coded the apps so they don't work in devices you still have on iOS whatever that isn't current. Is the app developers.

Also, they are free software upgrades so why not do them. Okay sure there was the whole 'apple maps is garbage' excuse for going to iOS 6 but google maps is out now so that's done. Most folks have zero reason not to upgrade for the bug fixes, security fixes etc and are just too lazy to do it. A handful might be rocking old ass computers that can't go to the latest iTunes but that's a really old computer and should be replaced if only because the hard drive is likely to kick it at any moment.

Quote:
Well, we choose not to muck around with our ENTIRE DEVICE just to get a 99 cent app to work.
Installing a company provided software update is hardly 'mucking' so it appears you are one of the lazy ones. Your choice but don't blame Apple for such cases. Or for the fact that you are still rocking the same 10.4.1 that your computer came with ages ago because if you upgrade your AppleWorks wont work anymore or that you can't use photo stream cause iPhoto 11 won't work unless you upgrade
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:47 AM   #16
JHankwitz
macrumors 68000

Send a message via AIM to JHankwitz
Quote:
It seems there's an opportunity here for you to start creating some decent apps. Go for it!
JHankwitz is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 09:54 AM   #17
FSMBP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHankwitz View Post
It seems there's an opportunity here for you to start creating some decent apps. Go for it!
Not really. It would just get lost in the shuffle of the other million apps (which was my original point).
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:00 AM   #18
charlituna
macrumors 604

Quote:
I think they brag about it because 'we are providing jobs to anyone who wants via them becoming iOS developers' has been in their defense list for a while.

But you are correct about discovery in the App Store. Really all the stores. Something needs to be done and right off if they are serious about these venues. They could be missing out on tons of sales because of poor keywords, no 'authority control' with meta data etc.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 10:53 AM   #19
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

Quote:
no kidding.

I've personally probably downloaded 500 apps in the past years, and deleted 90% of them
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:36 PM   #20
MuddyPaws1
Banned

Quote:
Exactly. 775,000 apps and maybe a 10th of them are any good. And then a super small percentage of those appeal to the person that matters most....ME.

But as long as stocks don't plummet...then i'm still happy.
MuddyPaws1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 01:56 PM   #21
inscrewtable
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
The pace of downloads continues to accelerate...
It's the dark energy.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 08:02 AM   #22
OrangeSVTguy
macrumors 601

I'd like to know what percentage that is with free apps compared to paid apps.
Old Jan 7, 2013, 07:55 AM   #23
Masterkona
macrumors member

With 500million registered accounts, and these kinds of download figures, along with 90-95% retention, taking into account the reality that emerging markets provide an opportunity for this figure to double, how can anyone doubt Apples ability to sell 250-300million IPhones? I really don't understand the pessimism around Apples iphone sales :/

Even if growth stalls, the refresh/upgrade cycle alone will ensure 150-200million iPhones sold annually, with the figure likely being much higher. Consider that at least 10-20% of buyers will buy everything Apple makes, and it seems very realistic to forecast 30% + average growth for the next 5-6 years. Mr market is pricing in reduced margins and lower revenue. Something is out of whack.

I wonder what would happen if Apple announced a plan to overhaul IAds and released a product that no-one is expecting. Apple has a lot of hardware and software people working for them. I have a hard time believing that all they are doing is handling the paperwork and supply chain details for incremental upgrades.

I have a hard time believing Apple isn't planning something big for 2014-2015. My bet is that they are waiting for costs/technology to catch up to a point where they can make their next major tech for a price that makes sense. Apple TV will be released this year, which I can honestly see causing earnings to nearly double. Imagine if Apple were to make itself a direct competitor of Cable/Dish. They already have the devices deployed. The Ipad/iphone/iPod touches are basically televisions. They could also release a $1500-2000 television that would make for a higher end consumption device for those that want it. Apple TV will be software that is equivalent to what cable providers offer and will allow those that opt for it to access content via the cloud from anywhere at any time. This will increase the amount of television that people watch, increasing the premium for the content. It will kill/hurt Netflix, and will bring in billions for Apple.

Imagine the opportunities that will come if they can produce a kind of payment system that goes through iTunes. Let's say you can monetize your finger print in a way that links it to you, combine it with a validation password that confirms your identify and the sky is the limit. Personally, I would trust Apple with my fingerprint over Google or Samdong. I doubt they would be able to offer comprable software/hardware. Perhaps this is what they are intending to do with their acquisition of one of the premiere finger print scanning companies? I'm putting together a proper article. The incessant bashing of Apple makes me very angry. What do you guys think? Any thoughts?

Last edited by Masterkona; Jan 7, 2013 at 08:29 AM.
Masterkona is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:43 AM   #24
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterkona View Post
Even if growth stalls, the refresh/upgrade cycle alone will ensure 150-200million iPhones sold annually, with the figure likely being much higher. Consider that at least 10-20% of buyers will buy everything Apple makes, and it seems very realistic to forecast 30% + average growth for the next 5-6 years. Mr market is pricing in reduced margins and lower revenue. Something is out of whack.
...Any thoughts?
The thing is that the SmartPhone market will eventually be replaced with something else like wearable computers like the Google Glass thing.
Maybe all we will need is a pair of glasses or shades for our computing device.
That is why there are rumors of the iWatch.

Something will eventually replace the current way of doing things. Also the competition is catching up and surpassing Apple's growth in the SmartPhone arena.
SmileyBlast! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2013, 11:52 AM   #25
LagunaSol
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBlast! View Post
The thing is that the SmartPhone market will eventually be replaced with something else like wearable computers like the Google Glass thing.
Yes, I can't wait until we are all fed Google ads 24x7 through our eyewear. Or better yet, implanted lenses. I dream of living in a Minority Report ad-saturated world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBlast! View Post
Also the competition is catching up and surpassing Apple's growth in the SmartPhone arena.
It helps when your competition (Google) gives its stuff away for free.
LagunaSol is offline   7 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion