Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Robbiemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
My itunes store wont open on my mac, it keeps saying "itunes could not connect to the itunes store. Make sure your network connection is active and try again". For days now I've tried everything I can think of to get to work. My Internet is working fine, I can open iTunes store on my iPads, iPhones etc, safari is working fine on my Mac, I've tried reinstalling iTunes, checked firewall settings, turned off router and Mac but still nothing. I'm running iTunes 11.0.1 mountain lion osx 10.8.2 and safari 6.0.2

Please help

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Have you tried repairing permissions.

What happens if you Login into another User Account, if you don't have one create one in System Preferences-Users and Groups and login to that account, does it work there?

Robbiemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
Have you tried repairing permissions.

What happens if you Login into another User Account, if you don't have one create one in System Preferences-Users and Groups and login to that account, does it work there?

Thanx for the reply,

I just tried logging in on another account like you suggested, still nothing. How do I do a repairing permissions?

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Thanx for the reply,

I just tried logging in on another account like you suggested, still nothing. How do I do a repairing permissions?

As above, in short, open Disk Utilities in /Applications/Utilities, then click on your boot up volume (Probably named Macintosh HD) and hit the repair permissions button.

Edit: If this does not work you might try reinstalling iTunes or install the old iTunes 10.7, doubt reinstalling iTunes 11 will make a difference though.
At least you tries to log into another account and it did not solve the problem, this indicates the problem does NOT point to your normal User Account but is system wide.
Is there anything in the following folders.

/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/Little Snitch
/Library/StartupItems

To go to the Library folder (it's invisible by default) hit Command-Shift-G and paste: /Library :in it and hit enter.
You could also move the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration to the desktop and restart, this resets all network settings.
**** move it don't delete it yet.

Last edited:

Robbiemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
As above, in short, open Disk Utilities in /Applications/Utilities, then click on your boot up volume (Probably named Macintosh HD) and hit the repair permissions button.

Edit: If this does not work you might try reinstalling iTunes or install the old iTunes 10.7, doubt reinstalling iTunes 11 will make a difference though.
At least you tries to log into another account and it did not solve the problem, this indicates the problem does NOT point to your normal User Account but is system wide.
Is there anything in the following folders.

/Library/LaunchDaemons
/Library/Little Snitch
/Library/StartupItems

To go to the Library folder (it's invisible by default) hit Command-Shift-G and paste: /Library :in it and hit enter.
You could also move the /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration to the desktop and restart, this resets all network settings.
**** move it don't delete it yet.
Ok I've done the repair, still nothing.
In the LaunchDaemons folder there is
Com.adobe.fpsaud.plist
Com.microsoft.office.licensing.helper.plist
Com.trendmicro.itis.icore.agent.plist
in startupitems there is another folder icoreservice in that is
Icoreservice
Startupparameters.plist
And there is no little snitch folder

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Com.adobe.fpsaud.plist
Icoreservice
Startupparameters.plist

I think I'd go with a re-insatll of itunes as above....Something is corrupt...The Itunes service should be running ( you can check in activity monitor >all processes. But I'd give itunes re-insatll a shot.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Com.adobe.fpsaud.plist
Icoreservice
Startupparameters.plist

You have little snitch running, if so turn it of for a moment or look in it's preferences, it might block iTunes!!!

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
You have little snitch running, if so turn it of for a moment or look in it's preferences, it might block iTunes!!!

He doesn't have little snitch installed.

OP : you have Trend Micro security for OSX correct ?

If so uninstall it . Reboot and repair permissions.

There seems to be a bug with trend micro and OSX.

Have you been having any other system wide problems ?

Robbiemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
I've done a search in the spotlight for little snitch, can't find it.

How do I reinstall previous version of iTunes? And will it disrupt my content?

Thanx for your patience

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011

He doesn't need it anyway.....Remove, re-boot, and try Itunes again. I didn't even know there was a Mac version of Trend Micro?

Robbiemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011

No just iTunes troubles

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I've done a search in the spotlight for little snitch, can't find it.

How do I reinstall previous version of iTunes? And will it disrupt my content?

Thanx for your patience

Don't reinstall, uninstall that TrendMicro stuff first and restart, it should most likely resolve the problem.
And read the link I gave you.

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Don't reinstall, uninstall that TrendMicro stuff first and restart, it should most likely resolve the problem.
And read the link I gave you.

Agreed, getting rid of that C*** should sort the OP out....Why do folks still think Macs need AV stuff? I've been using them for years and never ever had an issue...Worst thing? Dr OZ's spam email in the Cloud...:D

----------

EDIT:

OP, if you really MUST have an AV solution, you can use ClamXAV from the app store..it's free, but my advice is to stay away from any AV package.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
Agreed, getting rid of that C*** should sort the OP out....Why do folks still think Macs need AV stuff? I've been using them for years and never ever had an issue...Worst thing? Dr OZ's spam email in the Cloud...:D

----------

EDIT:

OP, if you really MUST have an AV solution, you can use ClamXAV from the app store..it's free, but my advice is to stay away from any AV package.

Even better, I opened PC Malware/viruses on My mac in HexEdit, no damage ever.

Robbiemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
Should I get rid of trend micro all together and install little snitch?

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
Should I get rid of trend micro all together and install little snitch?

Don't install little snitch.

"in startupitems there is another folder icoreservice"

Delete the icoreservice folder. It makes the trend micro app start up when you boot your mac.

You could also open system preferences and under user accounts look at the start up items for your account and deselect the trend micro stuff.

Robbiemac

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 23, 2011
YES!!!! Success.. Thank you everybody.

Now next part. What security do you suggest I install

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.