Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store

Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:53 AM   #1
macgabe
macrumors member

Any Pages rumors?

Just bought Pages for my new iMac and was disappointed to see it was an 09 version! Functionality is really way too basic for my purposes, so I'll have to get Office for my new computer after all. But just wondering, before I do, if there were any rumours about a new Pages version?
macgabe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:00 AM   #2
maflynn

Nope, no rumors - Apple has been letting iWork whither on the vine for ages.
maflynn is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:08 AM   #3
DJLC
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to DJLC Send a message via MSN to DJLC Send a message via Yahoo to DJLC Send a message via Skype™ to DJLC
An unnamed friend of mine recently started on the iWork team at Apple...

He's not dumb enough to tell me anything specific, but I'm sure they didn't hire him to twiddle his thumbs behind a desk.

Last edited by DJLC; Jan 8, 2013 at 10:13 PM.
DJLC is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:00 AM   #4
macgabe
macrumors member

Well that actually makes me feel a little better. I would have been really cheesed off if one had come out next month! Bizarre that they even called it Pages 09 - they must have been intending to update more often if they included the date in the name, but then made other plans. Maybe as you say they're working on one now.

From what I can gather there should be new version of Office this year, at least for Windows. The current one is discounted and includes an upgrade to the new version when it comes out, but I can't work out from the small print if the upgrade will cover 3 installations like the old Family and Home (or Student?) one. It'll be called Office 360 I think.
macgabe is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:33 AM   #5
Mackilroy
macrumors 68040

Send a message via AIM to Mackilroy
Don't forget to look at the date it was last updated--in the case of Pages, December 4, 2012. Hopefully they're working on some big improvements, though, and not just minor updates to keep the programs compatible.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:46 AM   #6
osx-addict
macrumors newbie

We've gone thru the same issues -- we've tried a number of Mac word processors -- Marine Write, AbiWord, Nisus Writer, OpenOffice, NEO Office, and others that escape my memory at the moment but have settled on Pages.. I refuse to put MS Office on my Mac just to get the word processor.. You might consider open office if you want something that looks pretty much like Word and behaves the same. If we want to do spreadsheets and are familiar with Excel then OpenOffice/NEO Office might be for you..

If you want something a bit different you might look into Mellel as it has some interesting features..

Last edited by osx-addict; Jan 8, 2013 at 12:02 PM.
osx-addict is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 12:49 PM   #7
Cougarcat
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJLC View Post
An unnamed friend of mine recently started on the iWork team at Apple...

He's not dumb enough to tell me anything specific since I'm a huge gossip, but I'm sure they didn't hire him to twiddle his thumbs behind a desk.
Probably to work on the iOS versions ...
Cougarcat is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:42 AM   #8
Zauberer
macrumors regular

My guess is that Apple intends to get away from the iWork "2009" convention and simply release iWork apps and periodically update them so you just have Pages, not "Pages 2009." They're pretty much at that stage already, but the updates are underwhelming.
Zauberer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:34 PM   #9
James Craner
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by macgabe View Post
Just bought Pages for my new iMac and was disappointed to see it was an 09 version! Functionality is really way too basic for my purposes, so I'll have to get Office for my new computer after all. But just wondering, before I do, if there were any rumours about a new Pages version?
Pages is a pretty good word processor and I tend to use it more at home than I use Word. Pages is better than Word for creating short graphic rich documents, as it handles graphic objects a lot better. Word is better for creating long documents with better support for footnotes and endnote capability (you have to choose one or the other in Pages) , complex Table of Content handling including automatic updating and Bookmarks. Pages also lacks a citation manager, which can be found in Word.

However if your are creating long complex documents you might like to take a look at Scrivener, which is highly rated by authors.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Applications > Mac Applications and Mac App Store