Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:34 AM   #1
ajsimeon
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Why I Love Craigslist!

Just got 2 32gb iPad 4's in flawless condition for $450. Checked warranty and it was registered just a couple days ago. I already have an iPad mini so I couldn't justify having both but at this price it was a no brainer. I thought the deal was too good to be true and was not expecting anything but after the sale I was giddy. Roommate bought one from me for $300 so pretty much $150 for a 32gb iPad that was basically brand new. Could it have been stolen? I don't know and don't care. That's not my problem.

Also I had a little stint with using full sized Android tablets because I liked the nerdy customizations you can do, but man the performance of iOS vs Android OS is like night and day. Absolutely no lag on iOS. Browsing on the iPad is an absolute dream. And forgot how sweet retina is. I had an iPad 3 before I sold that to get a mini which I absolutely love but looking at this screen gets me excited about a retina iPad mini!
ajsimeon is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:37 AM   #2
jknight8907
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Hudson Valley
There's basically no chance they aren't stolen.
jknight8907 is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:39 AM   #3
mattopotamus
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by jknight8907 View Post
There's basically no chance they aren't stolen.
agreed. That price for two....they are definitely stolen. You mean you like the black market :P
mattopotamus is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:45 AM   #4
old-wiz
macrumors 604
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: West Suburban Boston Ma
When you buy at such a low price, you almost have to know that they are stolen. You could be arrested for receiving stolen goods if they catch you. The real owners of the iPads are out a lot of money and you gloat. tacky.
old-wiz is offline   18 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:44 AM   #5
GoCubsGo
macrumors Nehalem
 
GoCubsGo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Great deal but I do question whether they were stolen.
GoCubsGo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 08:43 PM   #6
taedouni
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: California
There's no proof that the OP purchased stolen merchandise. As long as he was unaware of the merchandise being stolen, he did not break any law. The OP paid for his iPads. Don't harass him about them.
taedouni is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:19 PM   #7
scottick
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Atlanta
Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoG View Post
Personally I can care less whether OP ipads were stolen or not as this is just another 'cool story bro' post. I am a huge CL shopper and have been since it went on line. I have come across huge impossible legit deals from folks who were desparate (material things means nothing when you absolutely need cash right now) I've personally sold things at impossible it-must-be-stolen prices myself because something else needed to be taken care of immediately but had no money.
From my experience here's usually when your able to tell if that screaming impossible deal is a stolen item.
Technically, it's I could not care less. "I can care less" implies you, in fact, have room to care whether the iPads were stolen or not. Which contradicts all the rubbish you said after you incorrectly stated your level of caring.
scottick is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:23 PM   #8
brand
macrumors 68040
 
brand's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: 127.0.0.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottick View Post
Technically, it's I could not care less. "I can care less" implies you, in fact, have room to care whether the iPads were stolen or not. Which contradicts all the rubbish you said after you incorrectly stated your level of caring.
Finally someone who gets it.
brand is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2013, 11:48 PM   #9
mpayne2k
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: May 2010
"Hey Johnny, happy New Year! I just talked to your grandmother and she said she got you an iPad identical to the one I got you for Christmas! She said she had to save for so long, but decided that since she loved you so much and how adamant you were about having one of these she could forgo some of her medications, phone bill and cable bills during the fall just to afford the $600 tablet you liked. I'm surprised you didn't tell me you ended getting two of them! I know we have grown apart these past few years and I understand you couldn't make it home this time, but this didn't stop me from feeling you should get an iPad either. So tell me, what are you going to do with your two iPads? Love, Mom"

"Dear Mom, I was so desperate for money I sold them on Craigslist. Unfortunately the internets are so cutthroat these days I had to ask just $450 for the two iPads...sorry I didn't call you, I couldn't bare to tell you I had to part with my gifts. -Johnny"
mpayne2k is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:48 AM   #10
Docd62
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
The problem I have is he didn't care, we should care. Am I the moral police well what's wrong with that. For crime to thrive is not to care. How would the op like it if his stuff was stolen and sold cheap. Has happened to me so I care.

Now these may not be stolen I know several people in the pawn business and I am in the gambling business i/we see lost of people that need a fix (gambling or drugs) and have a credit card go buy things just to turn around and sell them in pawn shops.
Docd62 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:14 AM   #11
Docd62
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
The fact he took the ad down is very fishy for one and these people who steal and sell on craiglist are very good at what they do and know what to say and where to meet. But the fact you say you didn't care is the problem. You wanted to get the find of Craigslist that you had blinders on and would over look things. They know this, that why they sell so cheap.

I hope they weren't stolen and hope you did get a great find but I just wish you cared. And yes I would walk away and have.
Docd62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:31 AM   #12
ajsimeon
Thread Starter
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
I picked the meeting spot which was inside a Walmart. He wasnt fishy at all or paranoid of cops or anything.

I'm not sure I understand your stance. Is every great deal on Craigslist stolen property? So you walk away from every great deal because you think it's stolen? Well I guess that's fine. More treasures for me then.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Docd62 View Post
The fact he took the ad down is very fishy for one and these people who steal and sell on craiglist are very good at what they do and know what to say and where to meet. But the fact you say you didn't care is the problem. You wanted to get the find of Craigslist that you had blinders on and would over look things. They know this, that why they sell so cheap.

I hope they weren't stolen and hope you did get a great find but I just wish you cared. And yes I would walk away and have.
ajsimeon is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:21 PM   #13
725032
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajsimeon View Post
I picked the meeting spot which was inside a Walmart. He wasnt fishy at all or paranoid of cops or anything.

I'm not sure I understand your stance. Is every great deal on Craigslist stolen property? So you walk away from every great deal because you think it's stolen? Well I guess that's fine. More treasures for me then.
OP i wouldnt be worried about all the obvious jealousy here.

You got a great deal and now you can enjoy a great purchase.

Ignore the negativity. Well done for finding such a gem and acting on it.
725032 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:12 PM   #14
Docd62
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
So you picking a meeting means nothing I would also let you pick a spot if I was him. This stuff doesn't happen in dark alleys like on TV. These guy know what they are doing and the read the Internet for what people look for. I don't know if they were stolen I hope not and I don't all the details but I already see a couple red flags in what I do know.

I just think people should care and you said you didn't. If everyone cared there would be no market for stolen goods is my point. You know how many times I have seen the post on Craigslist saying I got two for Xmas or my birthday and don't want them for electronics.

I do buy good deals but I ask myself what's wrong with the picture before I buy and I try to stay away from individuals unless they can show proof of ownership. I don't need an electronic that bad. Good luck in your life.
Docd62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:20 PM   #15
trouble747
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docd62 View Post
I just think people should care and you said you didn't. If everyone cared there would be no market for stolen goods is my point.


Stolen goods must be sold well below cost, or not at all? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I routinely sell items on craigslist for less than I could probably get if I were willing to sit around, wait for the right buyer, list the item on eBay, etc. I do it to get a fast response, have someone show up in a short period of time, and get the thing out of my house.

No idea what the seller's motive was here, but asserting that there would be "no market for stolen goods" if everyone "cared" about...something or other is nonsensical.
trouble747 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:39 PM   #16
Docd62
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble747 View Post


Stolen goods must be sold well below cost, or not at all? That doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

I routinely sell items on craigslist for less than I could probably get if I were willing to sit around, wait for the right buyer, list the item on eBay, etc. I do it to get a fast response, have someone show up in a short period of time, and get the thing out of my house.

No idea what the seller's motive was here, but asserting that there would be "no market for stolen goods" if everyone "cared" about...something or other is nonsensical.
If people care if and would not buy something because it might be stolen who would the criminal sell too is the point. They are able to sell because some people don't care and just want it cheap. If they didn't have someone to sell it to why steal it unless its personal use.

Nothing wrong with selling something cheap if you have the right to sell it.

I never said stolen must be sold well below cost, but it is something to think about and is a red flag . Add a some more red flags and I would walk away.

You can justify the buying all you want and maybe every is good. Like I said I wasn't there so I don't know all the facts. I just stated that I don't like the comment about don't care if it was stolen. If that statement have been left out I would not have gotten into this. Just remember theft cost us all even the guilty.

Good day.
Docd62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:55 PM   #17
trouble747
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docd62 View Post
If people care if and would not buy something because it might be stolen who would the criminal sell too is the point.
"Might be stolen" would encompass many if not most of the used items sold on craigslist, eBay, etc...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
I don't think it is odd the seller removed the post after the sale. That should be common practice on Craigslist.
No kidding. It's annoying when people don't!
trouble747 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:57 PM   #18
Docd62
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpayne2k View Post
It's all good, I've had some fun on this thread, I don't think anyone was trying to be mean. It is an interesting topic really...

----------



I don't think it is odd the seller removed the post after the sale. That should be common practice on Craigslist.
He say that the ad was taken down after he made contact for what I believe was something like 8 hours.
Docd62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:05 PM   #19
Eddie Bombay
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Yup gotta love craigslist, best deals and steals in town. Got my flawless iPad Mini 64GB for around 400 bucks.
__________________
Samsung Series 9 11.6" Notebook | Galaxy S III | Asus Transformer Prime
Apple TV 2nd Gen | iPod Touch 4th Gen
64GB iPad Mini | iPad 2 - 32GB AT&T
Eddie Bombay is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:06 PM   #20
Docd62
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
[QUOTE=trouble747;16645515]"Might be stolen" would encompass many if not most of the used items sold on craigslist, eBay, etc...[COLOR="#808080"]

Not really and all you need is proof of the right to sell. There are many flags to look for. I for one wont buy anything if i have reason to suspect there is fraud. If you want to buy that's your right. Just want people to think first then act.
Docd62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:32 PM   #21
trouble747
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docd62 View Post
Not really and all you need is proof of the right to sell.
Which is...what? You don't think that there are thousands and thousands of used items for sale all over craigslist sites and on eBay for which the seller has no purchase receipt and for which no buyer will demand one? I've never once had anyone ask for "proof of the right to sale."

Yeah, it would definitely encompass "many" of the used items out there that are for sale..
trouble747 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:26 PM   #22
wknapp0924
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Honolulu, HI
Another awesome experience using Craigslist. I was able to buy an Apple TV2 with HDMI cord for $80.00 because he upgraded and had no need for the ATV2. Score!!
wknapp0924 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:15 PM   #23
Docd62
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by trouble747 View Post
Which is...what? You don't think that there are thousands and thousands of used items for sale all over craigslist sites and on eBay for which the seller has no purchase receipt and for which no buyer will demand one? I've never once had anyone ask for "proof of the right to sale."

Yeah, it would definitely encompass "many" of the used items out there that are for sale..
Well eBay has the feedback, I read the it before i buy anything there and will pass up a great deal if i don't like what I've read and I'll ask the seller questions. I have sold many things on eBay and been asked to show proof many times. So don't say "no buyer would demand one" unless your part of every sale. Just because you haven't been asked doesn't it doesn't happen. On Craigslist I simple ask for a receipt or some other form if they don't have that I simply ask to see a drivers license. Not that hard to. If they don't to do something so simple I walk away. I have don't this and been asked to do this.

I watch over thousand of dollars every day and have shown that I can be trusted, why because I have a moral compass that I choose to use. If dont choose to use yours well I'm sorry. I've been around the block more than a few times and been around some shady people and done many things I'm not proud of but I pulled myself out before I went to far down that path. I now will do everything I can not to support criminals for I've seen the destruction it can and does cause first hand. As I said crime hurts us all in one form or another.

If you don't care where or how you get your stuff I fell sorry for you. Like someone else posted karma I a bitch.

Enjoy your life.
Docd62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:37 PM   #24
trouble747
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docd62 View Post
So don't say "no buyer would demand one" unless your part of every sale.
Huh? I said: "You don't think that there are thousands and thousands of used items for sale all over craigslist sites and on eBay for which the seller has no purchase receipt and for which no buyer will demand one?"

Where did you get that I was referring to every sale? I quite explicitly was not.

Quote:
Just because you haven't been asked doesn't it doesn't happen.
Again...what? Where did I say it "doesn't happen"?

Quote:
I watch over thousand of dollars every day and have shown that I can be trusted, why because I have a moral compass that I choose to use. If dont choose to use yours well I'm sorry. I've been around the block more than a few times and been around some shady people and done many things I'm not proud of but I pulled myself out before I went to far down that path. I now will do everything I can not to support criminals for I've seen the destruction it can and does cause first hand. As I said crime hurts us all in one form or another.
Are you claiming that it's "immoral" to not ask someone to show you a receipt or their driver's license before you buy something from them? That's ludicrous! And not once have I suggested that it's appropriate to "support criminals." I only indicated that it's unreasonable to approach every situation as if you're dealing with a potential thief and stolen property.

Quote:
If you don't care where or how you get your stuff I fell sorry for you. Like someone else posted karma I a bitch.
Who said that I don't care? I haven't mentioned anything about purchases that I've made, and above I noted: "Of course, purchasing goods you believe to be stolen is probably not the best idea. If it turns out the item was stolen and it's traced back to you, you'll be out the item and your money."

And I'm a state attorney man, I'm not suggesting anyone should break the law or purchase stolen goods. Try responding to what others actually post.
trouble747 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:04 PM   #25
Docd62
macrumors newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
No but your are suggesting people look the other way and not verify.

You said in your post you said no one would ask for a receipt got a used item will I have and have been asked for one. So your no one is a false statement. As no one implies everyone.

If your attorney then you know that moral and legal is not the same thing.

Also if your an attorney you have no moral compass. Lol. My brother in law is a judge and had very strong moral compass.

My whole point is the op should care if it was stolen and not say its not his problem. As a state attorney you should know that it is everyone's problem.
Docd62 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Love Pirates? Well, You'll love this Crazy Pirate game too. haris1 iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Feb 17, 2014 02:22 AM
I love Craigslist akshep PowerPC Macs 23 Sep 28, 2013 01:01 AM
Zodiac of Love Horoscope - find the destiny of your love! SaarBaruch iPhone and iPod touch Apps 0 Feb 2, 2013 06:23 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:37 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC