Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
According to Jeremy Horwitz of iLounge the iPad 5 is going to be considerably smaller in all dimensions with "mini curves". In addition to this, he says that the consensus is that the iPad 5 will be released in March.

Here are the links to the tweets:

Tweet #1: Click here

Tweet #2: Click here

Tweet #3: Click here

mrkjsn

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
Sounds like iPad minus the bezel. This is good news. Never liked the huge bezel around the iPads.

flavr

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2011
glad I returned my iPad 4 for the mini! I think we will see the iPad mini 2 in the fall 2013...

Piccio

macrumors member
Dec 10, 2012
So, $1.000.000 question... What if iPad 5 will "only" be thinner and lighter with not significant hardware improvements, assuming that the new policy is to release two tablets every year, a minor and a major upgrade. What if the iPad 5 is just the minor upgrade? Would you buy it, or again as it happens with the iPad 4, are you going to wait the iPad 6?

SR71

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2011
Boston, MA
So, $1.000.000 question... What if iPad 5 will "only" be thinner and lighter with not significant hardware improvements, assuming that the new policy is to release two tablets every year, a minor and a major upgrade. What if the iPad 5 is just the minor upgrade? Would you buy it, or again as it happens with the iPad 4, are you going to wait the iPad 6?

I wouldn't mind that. Thinner, lighter, and with a new design, but with the A6X processor and 1GB of RAM (the old specs) would be the perfect iPad. As it is now, the A6X and the 1GB of RAM make the iPad 4 feel lightning fast. All it needs now is that newer design that is thinner and lighter and possibly even slightly smaller bezels, and it'll be an incredible product.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
Stop it with all these ipad 5 rumors..........:( *got my ipad 4 in dec*

aslnschld

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2012
The nice thing about the bezel is that it gives your fingers a place to hold on without being on the screen when you need to hold it in one hand. I would hate to see it go for that reason.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
i have a question. Material used on Mini is different than those of Ipad 2,3,4 right? Because the weight is so light that even if it is smaller, it shouldn't be so much diff. from the fullsize.

If Apple make Ipad 5 using mini materials to make lighter then Ipad 2 will probably the last Ipad i own.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Jan 29, 2010
The release buzz begins. Next comes the suspicious inventory numbers and then the mulitple threads on mac rumors about why a march ipad release is "out of the quesiton"

ninermac

macrumors member
Jul 20, 2011
I wouldn't doubt the smaller bezels all around... As for the 4, I think the 3 was supposed to originally pilot at least the A6 and/or lightning and I bet they fell behind on the A6 chip forcing them to go for the backup plan of the A5X. Building the A6 would have been hard to put hard timelines around as it's their first chip from the ground up. I think the 4 is really catch-up for the iPad, getting it where they wanted it for the 3.

The slimmer bezel on the Mini is paving the way for smaller bezels all around, software optimizations to handle all the possible invalid touch events. It's a trial run in the real world.

That's how Apple usually does things... all incremental little steps. These Tweets seem to hint at them bringing prior incremental steps together into the 5. I wouldn't doubt it, just hope the timing is not March :).

iEvolution

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
If it was from somewhere other than iLounge I would probably blow this rumor off but they do have s fairly good track record.

One of the best things about Apple is when you buy their products you are 'current' for at least a year. For me this 6 month release cycle is actually quite a turn off. I mean if they are just going to crank products out month after month I mind as well buy Samsung devices.

There will be no hype to Apple releases anymore and people will hesitate to buy.

Che Castro

macrumors 603
May 21, 2009
If it was from somewhere other than iLounge I would probably blow this rumor off but they do have s fairly good track record.

One of the best things about Apple is when you buy their products you are 'current' for at least a year. For me this 6 month release cycle is actually quite a turn off. I mean if they are just going to crank products out month after month I mind as well buy Samsung devices.

There will be no hype to Apple releases anymore and people will hesitate to buy.

Ill make sure to bump this thread in march after you & everybody else buys the ipad 5

Donka

macrumors 68030
May 3, 2011
Scotland
This can only happen if they can lower the power requirements i.e. less demanding screen tech (IGZO) and shrink the A6x die size. If they can't do this then removing the majority of the bezel will mean less physical size for a battery to power the unit meaning a smaller battery and lower run times - not something Apple has been keen to do.
The retina iPad is noticeably heavier than the iPad 2 because they had to squeeze a larger, heavier battery to accommodate the new components.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.