Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kat.hayes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 10, 2011
I have unlimited data on AT&T and would like to use an iPhone to tether my iPad or laptop. Can this be done with an app?

Thanks.

mpayne2k

macrumors 6502a
May 12, 2010
Only if it is jailbroken, I believe. If you are jb, look up TetherMe or MyWi.

If not jailbroken, your option is to contact AT&T and add a Tethering Plan to your account, at last check I think it is $50/mo for a 5gb plan, month to month. Or change your plan into the Data Shared plan and get Tethering for free but it goes towards your monthly limit of GBs.

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
It's not possible on a non-jailbroken iPhone to tether with an unlimited data plan, UNLESS you managed to snag at least one of the illicit tethering apps that were sold in Apple's appstore before they were pulled. Even in that case, you can only tether a computer to your iPhone--not a tablet.

AppleFanatic10

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2010
Hawthorne, CA
Only if it is jailbroken, I believe. If you are jb, look up TetherMe or MyWi.

If not jailbroken, your option is to contact AT&T and add a Tethering Plan to your account, at last check I think it is $50/mo for a 5gb plan, month to month. Or change your plan into the Data Shared plan and get Tethering for free but it goes towards your monthly limit of GBs.

Yes, he could use MyWi but there's a huge possibility that he'd get caught by AT&T. They've been cracking down very hard lately on tethering.

ericrwalker

macrumors 68030
Oct 8, 2008
Albany, NY
I got FlashArmyKnife before it got pulled from the app store :p:cool:

Lucky you, can you tether that to an un-jailbroken iPad?

I considered buying it, but I figured I already had handylight. Then got the iPad and found out I can't tether to an iPad with it unless the iPad was jailbroken.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.