Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 04:58 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Otterbox Announces Waterproof "Armor Series' iPhone Cases

Aiming to compete with waterproof but usable iPhone cases like the Lifeproof, Otterbox has announced its Armor Series of cases. The case is designed to protect the phone from submersion for up to 30 minutes as well as 10 foot drops.
Quote:
Innovative design elements make the OtterBox Armor Series best in class when it comes to protection. Watertight latches, an o-ring seal, port covers and mesh coverings keep water out and allow the Armor Series to tolerate submersions for 30 minutes in up to 6.6 ft. of water. Vents and port covers are made of a non-permeable membrane and protective mesh layer that allows sound to move through while keeping harmful elements out.

The interior and exterior of the case features advanced materials that protect the device from 10 ft. drops. Over-molded bumpers in each corner of the case absorb shock and the high-strength reinforced plastic of the Armor Series can withstand up to two tons of force. Soft interior foam provides a cushioned, custom fit for the device, while the built-in screen protector prevents scratches and damage to the glass display.
The case will ship on February 22 for the iPhone 4/4S and "soon" for the iPhone 5. Otterbox is taking sign-ups for customers who wish to be notified when the case goes on sale.

Article Link: Otterbox Announces Waterproof "Armor Series' iPhone Cases
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:02 PM   #2
MrDc2
macrumors regular

Otterbox cases are pretty awesome. Looking forward to this one!

Though the LifeProof cases are " ...waterproof, dust-proof and shock-proof..". I wonder if Otterbox has these features too?
MrDc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:06 PM   #3
dukebound85
macrumors P6

I would rather support Lifeproof than Otterbox
dukebound85 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:40 PM   #4
MordechaiCarver
macrumors member

Dust-proof, eh? Is the camera protection just glass or is there a something that keeps dust out by covering the glass too? How about a dust-resistant case...one that doesn't allow dust to accumulate in the corners of the screen protector and over the camera glass. Show me one that prevents this and it'll be the next case I buy. This Ballistic HC case (which I highly recommend over the Defender) has glass protection over the camera lens, but no cover you can slide across or put on when you're not using the camera so dust doesn't accumulate.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0202.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	582.6 KB
ID:	388843   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0201.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	461.2 KB
ID:	388842  
MordechaiCarver is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:04 PM   #5
whiteyanderson
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordechaiCarver View Post
Dust-proof, eh? Is the camera protection just glass or is there a something that keeps dust out by covering the glass too? How about a dust-resistant case...one that doesn't allow dust to accumulate in the corners of the screen protector and over the camera glass. Show me one that prevents this and it'll be the next case I buy. This Ballistic HC case (which I highly recommend over the Defender) has glass protection over the camera lens, but no cover you can slide across or put on when you're not using the camera so dust doesn't accumulate.

Griffin Survivor has a camera cover. And it's a great case. Only splash proof though. But it is the one I use when I go to the beach or travel.
whiteyanderson is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:39 PM   #6
needfx
macrumors 68030

idiotproof?
needfx is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:51 PM   #7
TMar
macrumors 68000

Send a message via Yahoo to TMar Send a message via Skype™ to TMar
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyanderson View Post
Griffin Survivor has a camera cover. And it's a great case. Only splash proof though. But it is the one I use when I go to the beach or travel.
Next time I take my phone out of my survivor I plan on seeing how water resistant it is. I would guess it could easily handle a few second of full submersion without/with little water penetration. I'll also see how much dust makes it's way in over the course of a couple of months. The only weak spot I see in it would be the seal on the front snap on cover.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:27 PM   #8
toke lahti
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyanderson View Post
Griffin Survivor has a camera cover. And it's a great case.
And the camera cover covers the camera only every second time in the middle of shot. Been there, done that. Just great.
5matteScreen&higherRez 13" 6lightport 7another fw(through ec ok)
8 10G-ethernet 9 xMac:desktopCPU+GPU,free pci-e,2 int. hdd
toke lahti is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:04 PM   #9
longpath
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by MordechaiCarver View Post
How about being able to wash the phone and case in soap and water, or spray it down with Windex without being worried about destroying the phone? That's what I do with my iPhone in a LifeProof case.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candlelight View Post
So now you can make those phone calls underwater like you've always wanted.
More like you can listen to music or pacing rhythm while swimming. No case is going to get around the fact that the capacitive sensor in the screen can't detect your fingers if there is too much water on it (and can not detect anything when it is immersed).

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuvi View Post
What case would that be? Lifeproof has the same waterproof rating meaning 6.6 ft for 30 minutes. It's on their specifications page.
http://www.watershot.com/underwater-...housing-iphone

Same price but "Waterproof performance to 40 m / 130 ft deep"

I believe that some of the objection is due to LifeProof's original statement of waterproofing may have omitted the disclaimer about 30 minutes; but I am not certain of this as I was an early adopter of the LifeProof case and no longer recall their original statements.
longpath is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2013, 07:56 AM   #10
wellred
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by longpath View Post
How about being able to wash the phone and case in soap and water, or spray it down with Windex without being worried about destroying the phone? That's what I do with my iPhone in a LifeProof case.

----------

More like you can listen to music or pacing rhythm while swimming. No case is going to get around the fact that the capacitive sensor in the screen can't detect your fingers if there is too much water on it (and can not detect anything when it is immersed).

----------

http://www.watershot.com/underwater-...housing-iphone

Same price but "Waterproof performance to 40 m / 130 ft deep"

I believe that some of the objection is due to LifeProof's original statement of waterproofing may have omitted the disclaimer about 30 minutes; but I am not certain of this as I was an early adopter of the LifeProof case and no longer recall their original statements.
Yes but does lifeproof cover the camera lens? And there are also proximity sensor issues with the lifeproof.
wellred is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2014, 09:33 PM   #11
thewordiz
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dukebound85 View Post
I would rather support Lifeproof than Otterbox
Same Company

http://www.cnet.com/news/otterbox-ac...val-lifeproof/
thewordiz is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2014, 01:36 AM   #12
Michael Scrip
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewordiz View Post
That's what I was thinking!

I thought people knew that
Michael Scrip is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:20 PM   #13
Vlad33141
macrumors newbie

This case is way too expensive, $99.00 for it,the Lifeproof is cheaper than that. I was hoping that they would have been at a cheaper price.
Vlad33141 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:27 PM   #14
LoadStar
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad33141 View Post
This case is way too expensive, $99.00 for it,the Lifeproof is cheaper than that. I was hoping that they would have been at a cheaper price.
I haven't seen a definitive price posted for the Otterbox case.
LoadStar is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:36 PM   #15
Vlad33141
macrumors newbie

Thumbs down

It's on the email they sent earlier today

----------

It's on their website. $99.00
Vlad33141 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:40 PM   #16
emanaydin
macrumors member

Great case for a child; but if you were to own this yourself, g'luck making a child
emanaydin is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:56 PM   #17
Nuvi
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The case will ship on February 22 for the iPhone 4/4S and "soon" for the iPhone 5.
This is wrong info. According to Otterbox:

"We're proud to announce the Armor Series will be available for purchase on February 22 for iPhone 4/4S and iPhone 5. The Samsung Galaxy S3 availability will be announced in future email communication."
Nuvi is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:27 PM   #18
ALCRON
macrumors newbie

Send a message via Skype™ to ALCRON
Drop-proof? What, does it have mass effect fields or something?
ALCRON is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:32 AM   #19
gaximus
macrumors regular

I just want a water proof case. I want it to be thin, I don't need it to withstand 2 tons of pressure. And decently priced.
gaximus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:27 AM   #20
cheryl717
macrumors newbie

Wow..$99.00! I was hoping this case was going to be more reasonable price...it would only make sense that this case doesn't cost over double that I paid for the actual phone. Monetarily it doesn't seen to be a good fit no matter how great. The defender at half price works very well. There is no holster either. We will be sticking with the defender unless the price reflecks better.
cheryl717 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 08:39 AM   #21
johnmacward
macrumors regular

I like iPhone but one of the most annoying aspects of its expensiveness is the eco-system that grows up around it that is also disproportionately expensive. $99 for a fitting piece of plastic and rubber - COME ON!
johnmacward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:15 AM   #22
surf2snow1
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmacward View Post
I like iPhone but one of the most annoying aspects of its expensiveness is the eco-system that grows up around it that is also disproportionately expensive. $99 for a fitting piece of plastic and rubber - COME ON!
no one says you have to buy it. If you don't want it, get something cheaper...
surf2snow1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:41 AM   #23
koban4max
Banned

This water proof can stay at 6.6 ft for 30 minutes...wtf? THAT"S NOT WATER PROOF. There are other cases have water proof ability and can stay longer than that and deeper.
koban4max is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2013, 04:21 PM   #24
johnmacward
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by surf2snow1 View Post
no one says you have to buy it. If you don't want it, get something cheaper...
What, I can't comment on the expensiveness? A forum is a place you come to air your views whatever they might be, not be told you're not allowed to complain about something.
johnmacward is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:55 AM   #25
ATC
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnmacward View Post
Remember the $99 is just the suggested retail price. The Otterbox Defender is listed at $60 but it sells for much less than that. Even up here in Canada, the land of overpriced everything, I got the Defender for my iPhone 5 for $24. And no, it's not a fake.
ATC is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion