Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:12 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

WSJ: Less Expensive iPhone Could Come as Soon as This Year

A less expensive iPhone is in the works and could go on sale as soon as this year, reports the Wall Street Journal. Digitimes reported something similar earlier today.

The translucent iPhone case for the iPhone 5, from iPhone5mod
Quote:
While Apple has explored such a device for years, the plan has been progressing and a less expensive version of the flagship device could launch as soon as later this year, one of the people said.

The cheaper phone could resemble the standard iPhone, with a different, less-expensive body, one of the people said. One possibility Apple has considered is lowering the cost of the device by using a different shell made of polycarbonate plastic. Many other parts could remain the same or be recycled from older iPhone models.
The WSJ reported that Apple was working on a cheaper, smaller iPhone two years ago, which the paper does note. Of course, Apple already does offer cheaper models than the flagship iPhone -- currently the iPhone 4 and the iPhone 4S.

The device could be aimed at emerging markets like India where postpaid plans are scarce, and users typically pay in full for their phones up front.

Update: Bloomberg echoes the WSJ, saying Apple "plans to sell a smaller, cheaper version of the iPhone as soon as this year" and the device will be aimed at customers in developing countries. Bloomberg says that the device could sell for $99 or $149.

Article Link: WSJ: Less Expensive iPhone Could Come as Soon as This Year
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:12 PM   #2
GeekLawyer
macrumors Demi-God

Hmmm... it's moved beyond Digitimes "reporting." Maybe there's something to the rumor?
GeekLawyer is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:35 PM   #3
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post
Hmmm... it's moved beyond Digitimes "reporting." Maybe there's something to the rumor?
Exactly. The WSJ is also common venue for Apple's controlled leaks. Apple hasn't ever produced a product specifically for an emerging market, so this would be a big deal.
KPOM is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:35 AM   #4
centauratlas
macrumors 6502a

If Steve was still alive, I would say "no way". His view was to be the no-compromise brand and not build it unless it was insanely great.

Tim Cook et al must be looking at it as a way to avoid having what happened with the Mac and Windows - the Mac was better, but Windows was cheaper. Even though Apple had from 1984 through 1990-1992, Windows still ate up market share. This gets people locked into iTunes and attempts to avoid that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekLawyer View Post
centauratlas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:13 PM   #5
abhishake
macrumors regular

I think it'd be cool to satisfy those customers with bigger hands and larger tastes.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:09 PM   #6
Macman45
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishake View Post
I think it'd be cool to satisfy those customers with bigger hands and larger tastes.
Or..small hands and no cash?

On the other hand...Maybe..
Old Jan 8, 2013, 09:44 PM   #7
SPUY767
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhishake View Post
If you're not in the NBA, you don't have bigger hands than me (11.25 inch span), and my 4" iPhone fits my hands just fine. So did the 3.5" if you feel the need to have a bigger screen, buy a Galaxy Note, and shut up about it already.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:19 PM   #8
abhishake
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPUY767 View Post
If you're not in the NBA, you don't have bigger hands than me (11.25 inch span), and my 4" iPhone fits my hands just fine. So did the 3.5" if you feel the need to have a bigger screen, buy a Galaxy Note, and shut up about it already.
Not everyone over 6 feet is in the NBA. I'm 6' 4''.

You're mad loud on forums, but clearly the 3.5" feels fine in your hand cause you're a little boy.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:15 PM   #9
SoApple
macrumors member

The WSJ is usully very reliable from what I can recall. Maybe there is something to this rumor after all.

What i really want is an ipad mini with retina display!
SoApple is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:18 PM   #10
rendevouspoo
macrumors regular

Isn't this the kind of stuff that Apple 'fans' hate?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:20 PM   #11
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

If this is true, wonder if it'll appear in the States? Or Europe? If it is a move for a less expensive iPhone, what are the chances of Apple selling it only in markets needing cheaper iPhones?
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:21 PM   #12
RemE
macrumors member

I'd choose a black polycarbonate iphone 5 any day over the current aluminum version, it just makes more sense. The stainless steel 4's were so much more scuff resistant than the current soft aluminum so just give me light weight quality plastic. It wouldn't chafe in the case any worse than what I have now. If it's cheaper, that's a plus as well.
RemE is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:09 PM   #13
Kissaragi
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE View Post
I'd choose a black polycarbonate iphone 5 any day over the current aluminum version, it just makes more sense. The stainless steel 4's were so much more scuff resistant than the current soft aluminum so just give me light weight quality plastic. It wouldn't chafe in the case any worse than what I have now. If it's cheaper, that's a plus as well.
I never get the hate for plastic, If its done right then it can be a fantastic material.
Kissaragi is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:37 AM   #14
Compile 'em all
macrumors 601

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kissaragi View Post
I never get the hate for plastic, If its done right then it can be a fantastic material.
It feels cheap. How something feels is important to certain brands (especially luxury goods).
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:55 PM   #15
SmileyBlast!
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by RemE View Post
What is the value of the Apple Brand? Billions!
What is the value of an average iPhone owner in the Apple ecosystem over 3 years?
Apple says they paid Devs $7 Billion from a customer base with 400 million credit cards on file in 2012. That averages $17.5 per user per year. $52.50 for 3 years.

I think copying the Android market model is not going to help Apple.
Android owners don't pay for Apps.

It's better to win customers in India and China with this approach but they need to preserve their premium brand in the US, Europe and the rest of Asia.
Otherwise Apple will lose prestige, chic and future sales momentum due to a weakened brand.

There must be a correlation between being able to buy a premium phone and spending extra for Apps.
Wealthy people can afford to do this. They are also more likely to be Apple Customers.

Apple is better off making a premium product and making their profit up front off the phone and not try to make it up afterwards with after market sales in the ecosystem.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by powersnips View Post
Lol

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuppieri View Post
I could imagine me buying a cheaper second iphone when going on hollidays somewhere the iphone costs the same than a 3 or 4 months salary, and leaving my baby at home... at this time i use to take an old nokia potato at this situation... on many countries calling from a $700 device on the street can be a problem. Maybe not in USA or Europe, but the rich world is really small.
You make a good point about having a cheaper phone for travel.
SmileyBlast! is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:07 PM   #16
Mr. Gates
macrumors 68020

When will this stupid rumor die ?

Every year it's the same BS.

Not going to happen. It's getting pretty cheap already.

Wan't a cheaper iPhone ? Get the previous model, it's already been discounted.

Want it off contract ? Whats the point ? As soon as you use it you're going to have to get a data plan.

This rumor is dumb as hell.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 06:49 PM   #17
Dave.UK
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmileyBlast! View Post

I think copying the Android market model is not going to help Apple.
Android owners don't pay for Apps.

Proof?
Dave.UK is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:38 PM   #18
Amarth
macrumors newbie

Apple is now for tech what Ed Hardy is for fashion.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:17 PM   #19
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Geez - all we need is more of the unwashed masses using Apple products. What is this world coming to? I remember when owning Apple gear made you one of the elite. So sad to see what is happening.
iGrip is offline   21 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:18 PM   #20
TC03
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
Geez - all we need is more of the unwashed masses using Apple products. What is this world coming to? I remember when owning Apple gear made you one of the elite. So sad to see what is happening.
Sigh.
TC03 is offline   52 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:48 PM   #21
Zudeo
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
Sigh.
I'm sure it was sarcasm...

I hope it was sarcasm.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:53 PM   #22
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iMikeT View Post
The article all ready beat me to what I was going to say...

What ever happened to the mantra that "Apple doesn't sell junk", hence the premium price to own an Apple product.
Define premium these days? On or off subsidy - there are many phones that cost the same or more than the iPhone
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:18 AM   #23
iMikeT
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
Define premium these days? On or off subsidy - there are many phones that cost the same or more than the iPhone

It makes no difference as many people still think iPhones are expensive, subsidized or not.

This is not the best example but I have seen many people around me get an iPhone 4 or 4S instead of the iPhone 5 because it was "free" or "the cheapest of the iPhone models".
iMikeT is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:47 PM   #24
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zudeo View Post
I'm sure it was sarcasm...

I hope it was sarcasm.
It was someone making fun of Apple "fanboys".
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:22 PM   #25
ahmet
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
so you were thinking that you were elite, and insult other people with prejudgement and state them as "unwashed' by just using a device, previously. so sad to see what happened to humanity.
ahmet is offline   37 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion