Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:15 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Walmart and Straight Talk Wireless Now Carrying iPhone 5

Walmart and Straight Talk Wireless are now carrying the iPhone 5, offering a $45 unlimited talk, text and data plan with no contract. It was previously reported by That's It Guys. Straight Talk is a subsidiary of TracFone, and its iPhone customers will use AT&T's network. There is no indication of whether the phones will support AT&T's LTE network or not.

Like other prepaid plans such as Virgin Mobile, users must pay full price for their iPhones without having them subsidized by the carrier. Unlike Virgin Mobile, Walmart is offering holders of the Walmart credit card a no-interest fixed payment plan for $25/month. This allows customers to have a unlimited talk, text and data plan for a total of $70/month before taxes and fees.

Quote:
Walmart and Straight Talk Wireless, America's largest and top rated no-contract cell phone provider, today put the power back in the hands of customers with an industry game changing offer. Starting on January 11, 2013 in more than 2,000 Walmart stores and online at Walmart.com, customers now have access to the iPhone 5 and iPhone 4 on Straight Talk's $45 no contract unlimited talk, text and data plan. To make this offer even more affordable, Walmart will be offering customers who purchase the phone in the store, a no interest fixed-monthly payments special financing offer for only $25 a month with a Walmart Credit Card.

The Straight Talk wireless no contract plan, exclusive to Walmart, saves consumers on average $950 a year when they switch from conventional contract plans with similar unlimited plans. To learn more about how Straight Talk Wireless saves consumers $950 a year, please visit: www.straighttalk.com.
The iPhone 5 is available in black or white for $649 for the 16GB model only, and the iPhone 4 is available in black or white for $449 for the 8GB model.

Article Link: Walmart and Straight Talk Wireless Now Carrying iPhone 5
MacRumors is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:18 PM   #2
xdxdaustin
macrumors regular

Very nice straight talk, very nice
xdxdaustin is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 08:56 AM   #3
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by xdxdaustin View Post
Very nice straight talk, very nice
Straight Talk, the iPhone 5 & Walmart are a perfect fit. It helps Apple keeps their sales numbers up and brings the type of new customers Apple seek as they spread out to big box stores.

Less sensitive to performance features & style, these new customers will embrace whatever Apple decides to put out with its next new model.
maxosx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:05 AM   #4
carlgo
macrumors 68000

Where is the plan where I can buy and use any phone and then pay a carrier per phone call, per text, per unit of data. The carrier would be selected by rates, reception, speed, reliability and reputation for good service. Pretty much like any other product except phone companies!

I want to only pay for what I use, not to subsidize those who use more than me or to pay carriers for services not even used.

Not interested in hacking, filing down sim cards, manipulating the system.

There will be cheap months and expensive months, much like my gasoline expenses. Depends on what is going on.

This seems fair enough.
carlgo is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:11 AM   #5
bohbot16
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgo View Post
Where is the plan where I can buy and use any phone and then pay a carrier per phone call, per text, per unit of data. The carrier would be selected by rates, reception, speed, reliability and reputation for good service. Pretty much like any other product except phone companies!

I want to only pay for what I use, not to subsidize those who use more than me or to pay carriers for services not even used.

There will be cheap months and expensive months, much like my gasoline expenses. Depends on what is going on.

This seems fair enough.
The closest I've found to this is Airvoice Wireless. I started a separate thread to discuss it @ http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1393202.

They only offer a full sized (Mini) SIM. Cutting down your SIM isn't some sort of rules violation.
bohbot16 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 01:23 PM   #6
alent1234
macrumors 603

Is there a SIM card in the phone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlgo View Post

This seems fair enough.
alent1234 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 11:12 AM   #7
clavier223
macrumors member

Is anyone else having cellular data service and MMS messaging problems on their new Straight Talk iPhone 5?

My friend just bought one in-store. At the checkout, the cashier actually unwrapped the iPhone, took it out of the box, and then connected it to their PC with iTunes and did some sort of setup to it.

Then, my friend brought it home and did the normal setup, and everything seemed fine until we tried cellular data service and MMS messaging - neither are working.

We went back to a different Walmart, and they said that the cashier we bought it from wasn't suppose to open the box and do any sort of setup to the iPhone - no Walmarts are allowed to do that ... another cashier said that the carrier was wrong - the iPhone says TFW 14.0, and this cashier said it's suppose to be TFW 13.1 ... another cashier said that the "VPN number" was wrong ...

We tried ST online support, and this is the transcript from the help session:
Quote:
> 3:04:13 PM You wrote: Hello. I am not receiving any cellular data service or MMS messages on my new iPhone. I think it might have something to do with the carrier which is set to TFW 14.
> 3:04:34 PM Hayley: Good day! Thank you for visiting Straight Talk Wireless. I would be happy to assist you today. May I have your Straight Talk phone number?
> 3:04:53 PM You wrote: XXXXXXX
> 3:05:15 PM Hayley: Thank you. Please allow me a moment as I check your account.
> 3:10:24 PM Hayley: Thank you for waiting. Before I provide you with the information on your account, I need to ask the security question on your account. XXXXXXX?
> 3:10:35 PM You wrote: XXXXXXX
> 3:11:24 PM Hayley: Please dial *22890. Once the phone has been programmed, please access your browser.
> 3:12:08 PM You wrote: Does wifi need to to be turned on since I don't have cellular data service?
> 3:12:44 PM Hayley: No. Please turned off the Wi-Fi.
> 3:12:56 PM You wrote: okay, wifi is turned off, and will dial the number
> 3:13:08 PM Hayley: Thank you, Rodney.
> 3:13:38 PM You wrote: it said "welcome ... please hold ... airtime free."
> 3:13:48 PM You wrote: *background music*
> 3:14:02 PM You wrote: and said it's programmed successfully
> 3:14:22 PM You wrote: accessing browser
> 3:14:50 PM Hayley: Please let me know if you encountered an error message.
> 3:15:33 PM You wrote: and a window just popped up and says "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service."
> 3:16:07 PM Hayley: I see. Please allow me a moment as I check your account.
> 3:19:18 PM Hayley: Thank you for waiting. Does your phone displays "TFW"?
> 3:21:07 PM You wrote: Hello, yes it says "TFW 3G" in the upper left hand corner, and under Settings > General > About > it says the Carrier is TFW 14.0
> 3:22:00 PM Hayley: I see. When you tap them "Carrier," does it give you an option?
> 3:23:58 PM You wrote: In Settings > General > About, when I tap on Carrier, it changes and shows the PRL number, and then ERI, and then NAI, and then MSID, and then starts back again at Carrier.
> 3:24:51 PM Hayley: Alright, Rodney. I need to check again your account.
> 3:29:33 PM Hayley: Thank you for waiting. Can you dial again the *22890?
> 3:29:51 PM You wrote: okay, will dial the number
> 3:30:18 PM Hayley: Thank you.
> 3:30:24 PM You wrote: says "welcome ... please hold ... airtime free."
> 3:30:31 PM You wrote: *background music*
> 3:31:07 PM You wrote: and said "your phone has been programmed successfully."
> 3:32:09 PM Hayley: One moment please...
> 3:32:16 PM Hayley: Good. Can you access again the browser?
> 3:32:31 PM You wrote: yes, will open again
> 3:33:07 PM Hayley: Please let me know if you still have the same error message.
> 3:33:37 PM You wrote: and received the same message as before: "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service."
> 3:34:39 PM Hayley: One moment please...
> 3:34:47 PM Hayley: I'm sorry to know that. In this case, we will need to speak with you directly for us further investigate the issue. Please contact one of our customer care representatives at 1-888-251-8164. For your convenience, our representatives are available Monday-Sunday from 8:00 AM to 11:45 PM EST.
> 3:36:40 PM You wrote: okay, thank you
> 3:37:00 PM Hayley: You are welcome. Thank you for chatting Straight Talk Wireless.
So basically, when we try to use cellular data service, we get the message "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service."

Finally, we called for help ... twice ... The first time, the person had us connect the iPhone to our computer using iTunes to set it up - she said that after we restored it, we were suppose to get a message saying something about there being no SIM card, and then a new window is suppose to pop up. That didn't happen, it was just stuck at the "no SIM card screen" with a little lock in the upper right hand corner. The next phone call just had us do the same stuff that the online support had us do ... still no cellular data service or MMS messaging.

Does anyone actually know what they're doing??? It'd be great to find someone who can actually resolve this problem.

Last edited by clavier223; Feb 16, 2013 at 11:43 AM.
clavier223 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 12:12 PM   #8
etbull
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavier223 View Post
Is anyone else having cellular data service and MMS messaging problems on their new Straight Talk iPhone 5?

My friend just bought one in-store. At the checkout, the cashier actually unwrapped the iPhone, took it out of the box, and then connected it to their PC with iTunes and did some sort of setup to it.

Then, my friend brought it home and did the normal setup, and everything seemed fine until we tried cellular data service and MMS messaging - neither are working.

We went back to a different Walmart, and they said that the cashier we bought it from wasn't suppose to open the box and do any sort of setup to the iPhone - no Walmarts are allowed to do that ... another cashier said that the carrier was wrong - the iPhone says TFW 14.0, and this cashier said it's suppose to be TFW 13.1 ... another cashier said that the "VPN number" was wrong ...

So basically, when we try to use cellular data service, we get the message "Could not activate cellular data network. You are not subscribed to a cellular data service."

Finally, we called for help ... twice ... The first time, the person had us connect the iPhone to our computer using iTunes to set it up - she said that after we restored it, we were suppose to get a message saying something about there being no SIM card, and then a new window is suppose to pop up. That didn't happen, it was just stuck at the "no SIM card screen" with a little lock in the upper right hand corner. The next phone call just had us do the same stuff that the online support had us do ... still no cellular data service or MMS messaging.

Does anyone actually know what they're doing??? It'd be great to find someone who can actually resolve this problem.
I have the ST iPhone 5 working on verizon with zero issues. Are you trying to use the iphone 5 on verizon or with an att/tmob sim? Has your friend tried setting it up again with itunes as a NEW iPhone, ie not from backup? Perhaps when it was plugged into the walmart pc a setting was changed?
etbull is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16, 2013, 05:12 PM   #9
clavier223
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by etbull View Post
I have the ST iPhone 5 working on verizon with zero issues. Are you trying to use the iphone 5 on verizon or with an att/tmob sim? Has your friend tried setting it up again with itunes as a NEW iPhone, ie not from backup? Perhaps when it was plugged into the walmart pc a setting was changed?
Just trying to use the Straight Talk iPhone 5 ... on Straight Talk. The only SIM issue I mentioned above was the fact that iTunes shows you a "no SIM card screen" after restoring it ... not from backup since it's new. If there were any other issues I would have mentioned them ...

I don't even know what the cashier was doing with it when it was bought ... It was just plugged in, and saw him click on stuff in iTunes ... I don't know.
clavier223 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Feb 17, 2013, 05:40 PM   #10
Hungry&Foolish
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by clavier223 View Post

Watch this video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AkQVnslKNYs
Hungry&Foolish is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:18 PM   #11
maxwelltech
macrumors 6502

Great news! Nice to see Apple spreading their products to new low price carriers instead of an AT&T monopoly.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:38 PM   #12
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelltech View Post
Great news! Nice to see Apple spreading their products to new low price carriers instead of an AT&T monopoly.
ATT hasn't had a monopoly on the iPhone for awhile now?
samcraig is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:43 PM   #13
FuNGi
macrumors 6502a

Unlimited data?

Sure. Until you hit 200MB/day or 2GB/month and your speeds slow to a crawl*.

*So says current StraightTalk users.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:46 PM   #14
gotluck
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuNGi View Post
Sure. Until you hit 200MB/day or 2GB/month and your speeds slow to a crawl*.

*So says current StraightTalk users.
yes, this is a read the fine print deal

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdis...-Straight-Talk

^- Good for feedback on ST
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:47 PM   #15
BiggAW
macrumors 68020

Big whoop. This is already available by going to an Apple store and then a Wal-Mart. And it's more cost effective if you buy a used iPhone 4 or 4S.
SGS III, White VeriPad 3 32GB 7.0.4 JB'ed
BiggAW is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:51 PM   #16
donniedarko
macrumors regular

Send a message via AIM to donniedarko
Ive been on ST for a few months with a 4S. It is not LTE, and on ATT's backbone. For the money no complaints, and visual voicemail will not work, but you can use Youmail instead for free.

I used ST before I had my iPhones and liked it. I see no value in a iPhone 5 as I would of got one.

Very satisfied. Besides buggy stuff with iMessage a happy customer
Old Jan 8, 2013, 06:29 PM   #17
andyx3x
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiggAW View Post
And it's more cost effective if you buy a used iPhone 4 or 4S.
This is true. I don't know how successful they are going to be in selling the phone for $649 plus tax, even with the installment plan.
andyx3x is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:18 PM   #18
mabhatter
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by samcraig View Post
ATT hasn't had a monopoly on the iPhone for awhile now?
You can't BUY an AT&T compatible GSM iPhone from any other carrier. This is the only other Apple Recognized GSM carrier in the US. T-mobile shares GSM, but they don't have PERMISSION from Apple to sell or support iPhones.

So while you CAN move an out of contract iPhone to Tmobile, lots of features don't work.
mabhatter is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:25 PM   #19
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabhatter View Post
You can't BUY an AT&T compatible GSM iPhone from any other carrier. This is the only other Apple Recognized GSM carrier in the US. T-mobile shares GSM, but they don't have PERMISSION from Apple to sell or support iPhones.

So while you CAN move an out of contract iPhone to Tmobile, lots of features don't work.
I don't think that was my point. My point was you can get an iPhone on Verizon, Sprint, etc. So the iPhone itself is not an ATT exclusive - and hasn't been for awhile now.
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:48 PM   #20
usarioclave
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabhatter View Post

Well, that's now untrue. You can buy a Verizon iPhone 5 and stick a nano-sim from any GSM carrier into it and it'll work. You can buy an unlocked iPhone4S from Apple directly. You can also buy a no-contract iPhone 5 from AT&T and unlock it by restoring the firmware.

If you're on T-Mobile you'll have to set the data and MMS settings manually, and most T-Mobile data is EDGE not 3G+. Visual voicemail won't work, but that's pretty much the only feature that won't work.
usarioclave is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:45 AM   #21
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwelltech View Post
It's an illusion. Take a pie and cut it up into 4 slices. Take same pie cut it up into 16 slices. The pie's size never changes.

Buy a phone a full price and pay lower monthly fees. Buy a subsidized phone and pay higher monthly fees. Ultimately pretty much the same $ is coming out of your pocket, just different increments at different times.

Wide choice of carriers is a good thing, but let's not think one is less expensive than another. You get what you pay for.

Last edited by Chupa Chupa; Jan 9, 2013 at 09:48 AM.
Chupa Chupa is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:19 PM   #22
jetlife2
macrumors regular

Network?

How do we evaluate the network coverage/quality of this deal? Is Straight Talk really the carrier with its own network or do they really buy time on one of the bigger networks, i.e. the customer is really buying into the physical infrastructure of another; if so, which one. Thanks
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:22 PM   #23
jlgolson
Editor

Send a message via AIM to jlgolson
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlife2 View Post
How do we evaluate the network coverage/quality of this deal? Is Straight Talk really the carrier with its own network or do they really buy time on one of the bigger networks, i.e. the customer is really buying into the physical infrastructure of another; if so, which one. Thanks
RTFA. :-)

"Straight Talk is a subsidiary of TracFone, and its iPhone customers will use AT&T's network. There is no indication of whether the phones will support AT&T's LTE network or not."
Old Jan 9, 2013, 07:07 AM   #24
Koodauw
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlgolson View Post
RTFA. :-)
Brilliant acronym! I will be using this.
Koodauw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 05:25 PM   #25
jimsowden
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetlife2 View Post
With 99% certainty, it will be AT&T's HSDP+ network (4G, not lte in the top left of the phone). I'd love to be surprised by LTE, but highly doubtful.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion