Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:44 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Firefox For Mac Gets Updated With Retina Support

Mozilla today released version 18 of Firefox, adding Retina support for Apple's line of Retina MacBook Pros.

Safari, Opera, and Google Chrome implemented Retina months ago, leaving Firefox as the last of the major browsers to receive a Retina update. Without Retina support, both website text and images on Firefox appeared fuzzy and hard to read.

Firefox 18 also includes the following updates, changes and fixes:
Quote:
-Faster JavaScript performance via IonMonkey compiler

-Support for Retina Display on OS X 10.7 and up

-Preliminary support for WebRTC

-Experience better image quality with our new HTML scaling algorithm

-Performance improvements around tab switching

-Support for new DOM property window.devicePixelRatio

-Improvement in startup time through smart handling of signed extension certificates

-Support for W3C touch events implemented, taking the place of MozTouch events

-Disable insecure content loading on HTTPS pages

-Improved responsiveness for users on proxies
Firefox 18 can be downloaded from the Mozilla website.

Article Link: Firefox For Mac Gets Updated With Retina Support
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:47 PM   #2
Macrolido
macrumors regular

I dnt care, Firefox in Mac stinks, I use Chrome.
Macrolido is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:49 PM   #3
Feed Me
Banned

Can't wait to not download this.
Feed Me is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:49 PM   #4
procrastinasn
macrumors member

Finally!
procrastinasn is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:58 PM   #5
Outkast27
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrolido View Post
I dnt care, Firefox in Mac stinks, I use Chrome.
why does it stink?
Outkast27 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:01 PM   #6
Jethryn Freyman
macrumors 68020

Why all the hate towards Firefox?

Chrome is fast but I don't trust it one bit, Safari is nice but lacks any real kind of tweakability and security isn't exactly as robust as Firefox.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:27 PM   #7
rmwebs
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jethryn Freyman View Post

Chrome is fast but I don't trust it one bit, Safari is nice but lacks any real kind of tweakability and security isn't exactly as robust as Firefox.
Why don't you trust it? Don't tell me it's the Google privacy nonsense - do you honestly think nobody would notice data being pushed to googles servers? For one thing it would show up in little snitch.

In any case, it's opensource...you can compile chromium yourself if you're that paranoid..it still beats Firefox by a longshot.
rmwebs is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:35 PM   #8
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:

Why dont you trust it?
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:37 PM   #9
gazrang
macrumors newbie

Camino

I want to use Camino.

http://caminobrowser.org/

It seems that the development has stopped. Not any update or further plans on camino blog.
gazrang is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:37 PM   #10
Glumpfner
macrumors regular

Quote:

I am working for over 10 years as a web developer now. Back while I used windows as my developing platform, I loved Mozilla and Firefox. But ever since I switched to using Mac, I hated Firefox!
Don't get me wrong, I love the Mozilla foundation, I love their ways of pushing the web technologies, the support for open source and their way of trying to create new useful web standards, BUT when it comes to Firefox on the Mac... Ouch!
As a web developer I have Chrome, Firefox and Safari open, each with 10-15 tabs at any given time. Chrome is super fast, always responsive, never lags when switching between tabs, Safari the same has a good speed, can't complain. And then comes Firefox. When having 10 or 15 tabs open and switching between Tabs, Firefox always needs 1-2 seconds to load until I'm able to click or scroll on the website.
And when switching between apps like Photoshop, Dreamweaver, FTP clients and then head back into Firefox, it again takes about 2 seconds until the window becomes active and I can navigate.
Then you check how much memory each browser uses... Chrome 300MB, Safari 400MB, Firefox 1,8GB!
Firefox has a memory issue, always had and it seems always will have. No matter how many tabs you close, it won't go down. You have to restart Firefox... and that very often results in "application not responding" after working 5 hours with 15 tabs open.

All my co workers experience the same issue several times through our the day with their Macs. I have it on my work station and on my private MacBook as well as on my old MacBook from 4 years ago, so it's not an isolated issue.

Simply put, Firefox on Mac is painfully slow if you use it for several hours with multiple tabs open and need to switch between apps a lot.

Chrome is my favourite in terms of speed. Yet I still love the Mozilla foundation and thank them for all the work for the web community.
Glumpfner is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 10:53 PM   #11
Watabou
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glumpfner View Post
Then you check how much memory each browser uses... Chrome 300MB, Safari 400MB, Firefox 1,8GB!
Firefox has a memory issue, always had and it seems always will have. No matter how many tabs you close, it won't go down. You have to restart Firefox... and that very often results in "application not responding" after working 5 hours with 15 tabs open.

Simply put, Firefox on Mac is painfully slow if you use it for several hours with multiple tabs open and need to switch between apps a lot.
If the latest Firefox that you have used is Firefox 4 or something, that is just BS.

The past 5 Firefox releases use a meager amount of memory compared to Safari and Chrome. Safari is the worst at memory management. Even three tabs and it somehow ends up taking 2GB+ memory. Every browser test that has compared the modern browsers puts Firefox in first place in regards to memory management so I really think you just made the 1.8GB figure up.

I actually have 27 tabs open right now and it's taking a grand total of 620MB. It never lags on me when I switch between tabs too. I have an old 2008 Macbook Pro by the way.

The one thing that you CAN criticize Firefox is how slow they put out new features for the Mac version. For example, it took them this long just to update Firefox with Retina support. I suppose we will have to wait for Firefox 30 to get the Lion/ML scrollbars too.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:37 AM   #12
spb3
macrumors regular

thanks for a thorough response. loved firefox on my pc. was quick, plenty of plugins/addons. naturally was the first thing i installed on my iMac. it has been hogging memory a lot. some serious hangups.
on BF purchased a macbook and just stayed with safari. no lagging at all. the only thing i miss is icons for the bookmarks - they are not displayed in safari.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glumpfner View Post
I am working for over 10 years as a web developer now. Back while I used windows as my developing platform, I loved Mozilla and Firefox. But ever since I switched to using Mac, I hated Firefox!
spb3 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:29 AM   #13
deannnnn
macrumors 68000

Quote:

You don't "trust" Chrome?

I don't get why people freak out about Google having a little bit of information about us. They're a reputable company so they're obviously never going to try to use that info to harm us in any way. And it's not like there are specific people watching over what you do, it's all stored in their system to help make your Google experience better.

The only reason that I can think of to worry about Google is if you're doing illegal things online. If that's the case then you shouldn't use Firefox, you should stop doing illegal things.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:39 AM   #14
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post

I don't get why people freak out about Google having a little bit of information about us. They're a reputable company so they're obviously never going to try to use that info to harm us in any way. And it's not like there are specific people watching over what you do, it's all stored in their system to help make your Google experience better.
Google and Facebook have one thing majorly in common. You're the product to them, not the customer.

With some of the decisions that Google made with real names and Google+ made some people not quite trust Google.

Do I trust Google? More than I trust Facebook, but that isn't saying much.

And as for Chrome specifically, last time I looked at it it was a worse resource hog than Safari and Firefox combined.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:05 PM   #15
Rigby
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by deannnnn View Post

They primarily collect all that information about you to help improve their own bottom line. In the past they have done things like circumventing the user's privacy settings or publicly disclosing personal information without the user's consent. Some caution is very appropriate.
Quote:
The only reason that I can think of to worry about Google is if you're doing illegal things online. If that's the case then you shouldn't use Firefox, you should stop doing illegal things.
Believe it or not, there is information that people want to keep private that is neither illegal nor "immoral". For example, if you use your browser for work, you do not want all your bookmarks and your browsing history, which may contain proprietary or confidential information, unencrypted in Google's cloud where you don't know who has access.
Rigby is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:44 PM   #16
Macrolido
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outkast27 View Post
why does it stink?
Its slow, it crashes my MacBook when uses flash and also is far as good than its Windows counterpart.
Macrolido is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 11:31 PM   #17
PinoyAko
macrumors 6502

Quote:
why does it stink?
It stink like a fox.
PinoyAko is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:33 PM   #18
JGRE
macrumors 6502

Quote:
why does it stink?
It is sssssssllllllllllllllllooooooooooooooooooowwwwwwww as hell
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:50 PM   #19
ArtOfWarfare
macrumors 603

Send a message via Skype™ to ArtOfWarfare
I use Safari with the Click to Plugin extension.

I have Firefox 3 on my computer... I knew it was dated, but geez, they're all the way on 18 now!?
ArtOfWarfare is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:51 PM   #20
minisuds7
macrumors member

Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:51 PM   #21
Risco
macrumors 65816

They don't care about multi-touch gestures, therefore I no longer care about Firefox. Pretty sad considering I have been a loyal user since 0.6 Phoenix.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:52 PM   #22
Outkast27
macrumors 6502

Is there a way to get pinch to zoom to work?
Outkast27 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:52 PM   #23
Risco
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Is there a way to get pinch to zoom to work?
Yes:

http://best-mac-tips.com/2011/11/20/...es-in-firefox/

I have been experimenting with it, the biggest issue is that it lags badly on sites such as The Verge. Also it zooms everything, whereas Safari zooms in on a section.
Old Jan 8, 2013, 07:52 PM   #24
ZacNicholson
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via Skype™ to ZacNicholson
people still use firefox on mac?
ZacNicholson is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2013, 08:00 PM   #25
Makosuke
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacNicholson View Post
people still use firefox on mac?
Surprisingly enough, a few do, though it's getting increasingly hard to see why. I was surprised when setting up my brother's Retina MBP because he does, and FF was hideously ugly due to the no Retina support.

It usually is pretty good about auto-updating these days, but I'll have to make sure his has so he's not staring at a blurry mess anymore.

And actually, I use FF too, albeit just as my secondary browser for "sketchy" sites so that if it locks up or crashes (or I run with Javascript turned off) it doesn't mess with Safari.
Makosuke is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion