Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion

Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:35 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Pebble Smart Watch to Begin Shipping January 23

Popular Kickstarter smart watch project Pebble, which broke records by raising over $10 million in its funding push, has announced at CES today that the device will begin shipping to Kickstarter backers on January 23. With over 85,000 orders placed, it will take approximately 6-8 weeks to fulfill the Kickstarter orders, after which the watch will be available for general sale.

Image from Engadget
Pebble is just one of a growing number of smart watches, and Apple has even been rumored to be working on its own project. But Pebble's relatively large e-paper display and an API for app developers have generated considerable buzz for the project.

Pebble supports both iOS and Android devices via low-power Bluetooth 4.0, with iOS devices requiring a minimum of iOS 5 for basic compatibility and iOS 6 for the full set of features. When paired with an iOS 6 device, Pebble can display many of the alerts that typically pop up in Notification Center. Pebble is also working on building out a cloud infrastructure that would allow users to sign in to a web site or web app with their Pebble accounts and receive notifications from the site pushed to their watches.

Article Link: Pebble Smart Watch to Begin Shipping January 23
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:42 AM   #2
needfx
macrumors 68020

that's not too bad in comparison to the other behemoths
needfx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:43 AM   #3
ThatsMrsGeek2U
macrumors newbie

I'm finally coming around to the idea of a watch again, finding that I can't have my phone laying around with young kids.
ThatsMrsGeek2U is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:45 AM   #4
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

I've been looking forward to this announcement. I wasn't a backer, but I'm on board now. This looks awesome.

So if I ordered today, I expect I wouldn't get until April? Ughhhhh.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:46 AM   #5
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

Judging from the pic, it will probably ship on 23rd September.
JaySoul is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:50 AM   #6
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
that's very perceptive
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:53 AM   #7
billyt1963
macrumors newbie

In this case the nine twenty three is the time. There are a few different ways to display time. I think I actually like that one.

Billy
billyt1963 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:54 AM   #8
lee14160
macrumors regular

No style. May be a nice to have, but so ha, plain.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:03 PM   #9
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee14160 View Post
No style. May be a nice to have, but so ha, plain.
That and the display doesn't seem very nice either.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:13 PM   #10
Scooz
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
You just destroyed my idea of "price after tax"...
Scooz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:47 PM   #11
MrDc2
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatsMrsGeek2U View Post
I'm finally coming around to the idea of a watch again, finding that I can't have my phone laying around with young kids.
Sucks don't it?

I have two kids... I can't leave my phones out without either A) getting baby drool all over the phone and potentially having it dead the next time it turns up or B) changed settings, random applications added all over my screen and a ton of unwanted outgoing texts/emails. Darn four year olds.

Last edited by MrDc2; Jan 9, 2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: Clarify that i'm not trolling
MrDc2 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 11:49 AM   #12
jclardy
macrumors 68020

It is looking pretty nice. I like some of the minimalist watch faces and the music controls will be great.

I am hoping that they are able to get some good app support, runkeeper will be great as I always keep my phone on me during my runs.

Would be really nice if there was some kind pedometer app that integrates with a service like Fitbit.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:34 PM   #13
avanpelt
macrumors 6502a

I like the idea of this watch, but I'll wait until at least version 2.0 before I pull the trigger.

The next iteration will get some of the 1.0 bugs ironed out and might offer some different band choices. I'd like to see this technology in a watch with a round face and stainless steel band.
avanpelt is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 12:39 PM   #14
Blomkvist
macrumors member

I am a backer on the Kickstarter campaign...very excited to get this in my hands and try it out.

I am hoping that some developer comes out with a fitbit/fuelband like application for this watch. It seems to me that this functionality would best fit into a sports watch...and I think Pebble would be a great platform.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:45 PM   #15
TLewis
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanpelt View Post
The next iteration will get some of the 1.0 bugs ironed out and might offer some different band choices.
The currrent rev intentionally uses a standard-size watch band so that you can change it yourself. Why be limited by what the manufacturer offers, when you can put on whatever you can find? From the FAQ:
Q. Can I replace the bands?
A. Yes, Pebble is designed to fit most 22mm watch bands.
TLewis is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:50 PM   #16
Blomkvist
macrumors member

For those wondering about order of shipment for backers...it was stated in the presentation that they would ship in order of backer date. In other words, those that backed on day one of the Kickstarter will ship out first and so on.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:19 PM   #17
d-klumpp
macrumors newbie

Real watches don't use batteries

Not only am I puzzled by the concept of a cheesy electronic watch, what's the point of having a remote screen for my phone a phone that's rarely more than an arm's length away??

Real watches are usually Swiss and are always mechanical. Unless one is training for a marathon, to be caught with something else is an embarrassment.

Dave
d-klumpp is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:41 PM   #18
drummingcraig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-klumpp View Post
Not only am I puzzled by the concept of a cheesy electronic watch, what's the point of having a remote screen for my phone –– a phone that's rarely more than an arm's length away??

Real watches are usually Swiss and are always mechanical. Unless one is training for a marathon, to be caught with something else is an embarrassment.

Dave
Feel better now?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allenbf View Post
I've been looking forward to this announcement. I wasn't a backer, but I'm on board now. This looks awesome.

So if I ordered today, I expect I wouldn't get until April? Ughhhhh.
Pretty sure that they aren't accepting orders anymore. Goal is to fulfill all of the original orders generated thru Kickstarter and only then will they reopen sales to the general public. So more likely you'd need to wait a couple months before even being able to get an order in, and I am betting that they will get swamped again, resulting in longer then expected delivery times.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:43 PM   #19
notjustjay
macrumors 603

I'm very interested in this watch and will be checking it out again when it goes out for general sale.

I think e-ink makes a lot of sense for this type of device. Not like you're going to watch video or color photographs on a tiny screen anyway. I value battery life and readability over anything else.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:45 PM   #20
noobinator
macrumors 65816

I have a phosphor e-ink watch already and it's pretty nice. Definitely signing up for the pre-order on this one.
noobinator is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:44 PM   #21
Allenbf
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingcraig View Post
Feel better now?

----------

Pretty sure that they aren't accepting orders anymore. Goal is to fulfill all of the original orders generated thru Kickstarter and only then will they reopen sales to the general public. So more likely you'd need to wait a couple months before even being able to get an order in, and I am betting that they will get swamped again, resulting in longer then expected delivery times.
Site is still accepting orders, though.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 01:53 PM   #22
TLewis
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummingcraig View Post
As others have said, their site is still accepting orders. However, they say that their manufacturing capacity is something like 15000 watches/week, and so it'll take several weeks to ship all of the kickstarter backer orders. So, it'll probably be early/mid-March before any website orders will ship. If they're gotten a lot of website orders, it could be April or later before any order placed now may ship.
TLewis is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:33 PM   #23
phr0ze
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by d-klumpp View Post
Not only am I puzzled by the concept of a cheesy electronic watch, what's the point of having a remote screen for my phone a phone that's rarely more than an arm's length away??

Dave
Again, the electronic watch goes back to the geek in us. Although I'm not ready to give up my 'real' watch, this does have an interest.
Black iPhone 5S 32GB ATT
phr0ze is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 02:39 PM   #24
fiddlestyx
macrumors 6502

I am curious to see where these go. I'd be interested in them if they integrated some sort of sport function app, whether partnering with Nike+ or the likes.
Old Jan 9, 2013, 03:46 PM   #25
samcraig
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestyx View Post
I am curious to see where these go. I'd be interested in them if they integrated some sort of sport function app, whether partnering with Nike+ or the likes.
Well I know RunKeeperPro already has an app developed for it
samcraig is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > iOS Blog Discussion