Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I've only had my MacBook Air for a few weeks now, and I really hadn't noticed this before, but I'll leave the screen up, and it goes to sleep, but I'll come back and pick it up, and it seems pretty warm to me. This is hours later btw. So, I tried closing the lid, and not shutting down the OS, and I came home this evening and it was very warm again? I have Safari, iTunes, and mail running. I have two hard drives connected to my Airport Extreme. I can't think of what might make this happen, because I swear, it was staying extremely cool in the past when waking it from sleep. Any input is appreciated!

Terry

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
I've only had my MacBook Air for a few weeks now, and I really hadn't noticed this before, but I'll leave the screen up, and it goes to sleep, but I'll come back and pick it up, and it seems pretty warm to me.
It sounds like it may not have remained in sleep mode. For sleep issues, you may find some useful ideas here:

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
It sounds like it may not have remained in sleep mode. For sleep issues, you may find some useful ideas here:

Thanks, I will read all of these and see what I can come up with. It seems that the system is asleep, because the only way I can wake it is by pressing a key like the spacebar, but who knows....

GGJstudios

macrumors Westmere
May 16, 2008
Thanks, I will read all of these and see what I can come up with. It seems that the system is asleep, because the only way I can wake it is by pressing a key like the spacebar, but who knows....
It may have initially gone to sleep, but may have awakened at some point, then went back to sleep. This is not uncommon.

inselstudent

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2012
I think it's the new power nap feature introduced with 10.8 which keeps your Mac up to date even while sleeping. It syncs your mail, iCloud stuff and whatnot afaik. You can turn it off or configure it in Settings->Energy saver (I think that's what it's called, it has a light bulb icon)

armandxp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
Orlando, FL
I think it's the new power nap feature introduced with 10.8 which keeps your Mac up to date even while sleeping. It syncs your mail, iCloud stuff and whatnot afaik. You can turn it off or configure it in Settings->Energy saver (I think that's what it's called, it has a light bulb icon)

I'm going to try and turn it off and see if that helps any. Just have to keep trying new things to see.. Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.