Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:13 PM   #1
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Need Honest Opinions

I'm trying to get into graphics design (not professionally, just as a hobby). That being said, I'm in the midst of making my brother a banner for his business: eCommerce-based. I whipped up a few renders and need some honest opinions, without the trolls on other forums. What do you guys think?

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

If it helps, here's what the old one looked like, also still in use:
Thumb resize.

Last edited by Squilly; Jan 10, 2013 at 12:29 AM.
Squilly is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:18 PM   #2
Ddyracer
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I'm trying to get into graphics design (not professionally, just as a hobby). That being said, I'm in the midst of making my brother a banner for his business: eCommerce-based. I whipped up a few renders and need some honest opinions, without the trolls on other forums. What do you guys think?

Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.
Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.
I don't do graphic design but in my taste it looks too messy. Clean up some of the icons, get rid of the rainbow for something more informal and neat. And write AC Electronic Outlet once, not thrice looks amateur.

EDIT: Sorry i see you wrote it only once i'm really sorry. it looked like was three times but i guess the pic is actually three shots.

Last edited by Ddyracer; Jan 9, 2013 at 09:28 PM.
Ddyracer is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:28 PM   #3
balamw

Don't use Apple's logo without permission!

Overall I agree with Ddyracer. Too busy. Not easy enough to read/memorable enough.

The original definitely had that going for it. It was easy to read good contrast and was cute with the AC plug forming the A. The C and rest of it seemed tacked on though.

B
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:30 PM   #4
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by balamw View Post
Don't use Apple's logo without permission!

Overall I agree with Ddyracer. Too busy. Not easy enough to read/memorable enough.

The original definitely had that going for it. It was easy to read good contrast and was cute with the AC plug forming the A. The C and rest of it seemed tacked on though.

B
Do you think getting rid of the spectrum would help? Or different font?
Old Jan 9, 2013, 09:56 PM   #5
balamw

Quote:
Do you think getting rid of the spectrum would help? Or different font?
You might try a different font and color for the text so that it sticks out a bit more. Of the three variations I think the middle one without the shadows is probably best.

B
Old Jan 9, 2013, 10:05 PM   #6
mobilehaathi
macrumors 601

Not a fan, I can't read anything!
Old Jan 10, 2013, 03:54 PM   #7
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502

Quote:

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.

Thumb resize.
The font is very dated and does not say "technology" to the viewer (try helvetica or something similar) and the waves behind it distracts from the message, making it hard to read. Also, it needs more contrast. Black letters over a black background doesn't work even with the wave behind it. Either try white text or black text on a white background. White backgrounds draw the eye to ads better. Hope this helps.
Old Jan 10, 2013, 10:12 PM   #8
ZMacintosh
macrumors 6502a

keeping it simple is the way to go. Try not to incorporate the logo as part of the word or text.
Use simpler, modern fonts that dont have too much to look at and are easily noticeable and readable.

I spent all of 5 minutes creating a mock up. in no way am i a designer but this may be a new direction to take inspiration from

something that can be easily rendered onto business cards, handout flyers, etc is the best way to go, you dont want to have to print an all black image with a goofy spectrum.
if you want a spectrum make sure it looks good on white. but you dont want to send too many messages with the logo.
Something to the point and easily for people to say 'Oh, okay i get that' or 'Yeah, that looks interesting, let me find out more'.

Less is more, and leads to more. you dont want to put all your eggs in one basket as they say. let the logo identify a solution for the business and let your business do all the work.

its tough with design and branding, but once you get a feel for it, youll understand it more.
ZMacintosh is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:07 AM   #9
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Business Logo

A few months back on another thread, someone introduced me to a style I was unfamiliar with. Got a little work done and experimented. It's three-toned, debating on which to use. To me, it feels like the dot in the middle is a bit big and overwhelming. All criticism appreciated.

PSD is attached.

So far:

Original:

From MacRumors a few months back:
Attached Images
File Type: psd Logo.psd (109.5 KB, 18 views)

Last edited by Doctor Q; Aug 2, 2013 at 11:43 PM. Reason: thread merge
Old Aug 1, 2013, 11:22 AM   #10
.eric
Banned

Looks like a power button. Cards look good depending on perspective. I would, for example, take it as "just another start up trying to look like they are flashy" or something along those lines.
.eric is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2013, 12:38 PM   #11
kevinfulton.ca
macrumors 6502

I could be wrong, but I swear that you just copied the original creators design and layout. If I'm wrong then I immediately apologize. The AC electronics seems VERY familiar and so does the style, color, font. I believe we even encouraged the OP to pay for this design in that thread. It was a while ago, but I definitely remember this.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 04:47 PM   #12
fig
macrumors 6502a

I believe the image of the business cards is from the original thread.

And I like his logo better, the subtle color shift you used could work but your logo lacks the visual weight of the original design, your lines are thinner and leave the mark feeling sort of weak.
Old Aug 1, 2013, 06:45 PM   #13
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinfulton.ca View Post
I could be wrong, but I swear that you just copied the original creators design and layout. If I'm wrong then I immediately apologize. The AC electronics seems VERY familiar and so does the style, color, font. I believe we even encouraged the OP to pay for this design in that thread. It was a while ago, but I definitely remember this.
It was. That's why it's the last picture in the OP. I offered to pay for his designs, but he never contacted me back.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 08:59 AM   #14
keysofanxiety
macrumors 65816

Location: In a house that defies physics by being colder than absolute zero.
I'm more impressed that William Shatner is your CEO.
Old Aug 2, 2013, 10:56 AM   #15
heehee
macrumors 68020

Quote:
A few months back on another thread, someone introduced me to a style I was unfamiliar with. Got a little work done and experimented. It's three-toned, debating on which to use. To me, it feels like the dot in the middle is a bit big and overwhelming. All criticism appreciated.

PSD is attached.
If you are going to make a logo, use a vector based program like illustrator. If you use photoshop, atleast make it extremely high resolution.
heehee is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:32 AM   #16
R1PPER
macrumors 6502

Actually i did offer to give you the illustrator files for free. But you said your brother didn't like the design and would stick with his 1950's cartoon inspired design :P

The origianl is well balanced as far as shape goes. Whats your rational for altering it. also i had afew ideas to soften the branding and give it some more personality.
R1PPER is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2013, 11:49 AM   #17
Squilly
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by R1PPER View Post
Actually i did offer to give you the illustrator files for free. But you said your brother didn't like the design and would stick with his 1950's cartoon inspired design :P

The origianl is well balanced as far as shape goes. Whats your rational for altering it. also i had afew ideas to soften the branding and give it some more personality.
He changed his mind after a little convincing. Figured I'd give it a shot.

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics