Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mac.fanatic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
Bear with me if this has already been asked and answered. I was not able to find the thread if so.

I am an IT student at a university, and I want to install Windows on my MBP (Mid 2012 release). What is the best way to go at it? Should I purchase VMware Fusion and install Windows that way or should I use BootCamp to dual-boot my system?

Also, what is the best virtual software to use? Parallels, VmWare Fusion, etc?

My main use for windows will be for programming.

Any recommendations will help.

blevins321

macrumors 68030
Dec 24, 2010
Detroit, MI
For 90% of things, VMWare or Parallels would be the way to go. Parallels supposedly has better graphic capability than VMWare.

For university level programming, either setup would work fine. I'd recommend at least 8GB of RAM if you're going to be virtualizing. Everything would just run better.

You can install Windows via Boot Camp then use Parallels or VMWare to virtualize most of the time. But you'd still have the native installation in case you want to do good gaming or something windows processor intensive.

ezramoore

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2006
Washington State
As an IT student it might be wise to research your own decision. It will help you develop your job-related skills.

I recommend BC and Fusion together as it is most versatile and you never know what you will run across in an IT career path.

mac.fanatic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jul 19, 2012
For 90% of things, VMWare or Parallels would be the way to go. Parallels supposedly has better graphic capability than VMWare.

For university level programming, either setup would work fine. I'd recommend at least 8GB of RAM if you're going to be virtualizing. Everything would just run better.

You can install Windows via Boot Camp then use Parallels or VMWare to virtualize most of the time. But you'd still have the native installation in case you want to do good gaming or something windows processor intensive.

I have the higher end of the two MBP 13" choices with the i7 Processor and 8 GB of RAM. Would 4 GB be sufficient for the virtual machine? So when I have a virtual OS pulled up, it'd dedicate the RAM 50% to each.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
I have the higher end of the two MBP 13" choices with the i7 Processor and 8 GB of RAM. Would 4 GB be sufficient for the virtual machine? So when I have a virtual OS pulled up, it'd dedicate the RAM 50% to each.

Depending on how intense your Windows activities are, and what you typically leave open on the Mac side, you might even try 2-3GB for Windows. That will keep RAM free on the Mac side and reduce potential page outs there.

James_C

macrumors 68030
Sep 13, 2002
Bristol, UK

4GB is plenty for Windows and Mac. I used to run Parallels on a MacBook Pro with only 4GB of RAM and it ran fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.