Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:02 AM   #1
stan051181
macrumors newbie

Unhappy MBA Grey screen and can't resolve for 5 days ((((

Hi
It's only 4 weeks since I am using MBA 64Gb and "memory is full" message appeared, then computer was frozen and I forced shut down.
After this grey screen of death appeared and I can't do anything with this.
Already tried:
Command+R - when trying to open disc utility shows " Gathering disc data" for hours and nothing happens.
Re-install OS X option - same as above.
Selecting Recovery HD after pressing option key during start up - not booting.
Checked the Hard drive in single user mode - shows that it's OK.
Reset RAM
Now trying to secureErase 1 disk 0 using Terminal.Shows "Started erase on disk 0"
it's already more than 36 hours and not completed - Ithink it will not erase because it's a bootable drive?
Maybe I have to use another option from Terminal?

The biggest problem is that I am not ashore and have no possibility to bring my computer to service also my internet speed is very low.
I will appreciate any idea how to fix this problem as I have two weeks to go and will go crazy without computer ))))
Thanks in advance to everybody!!!
stan051181 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:21 AM   #2
Brian Y
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan051181 View Post
Hi
It's only 4 weeks since I am using MBA 64Gb and "memory is full" message appeared, then computer was frozen and I forced shut down.
After this grey screen of death appeared and I can't do anything with this.
Already tried:
Command+R - when trying to open disc utility shows " Gathering disc data" for hours and nothing happens.
Re-install OS X option - same as above.
Selecting Recovery HD after pressing option key during start up - not booting.
Checked the Hard drive in single user mode - shows that it's OK.
Reset RAM
Now trying to secureErase 1 disk 0 using Terminal.Shows "Started erase on disk 0"
it's already more than 36 hours and not completed - Ithink it will not erase because it's a bootable drive?
Maybe I have to use another option from Terminal?

The biggest problem is that I am not ashore and have no possibility to bring my computer to service also my internet speed is very low.
I will appreciate any idea how to fix this problem as I have two weeks to go and will go crazy without computer ))))
Thanks in advance to everybody!!!
You can't erase the drive you're booted from. If the drive's full, you'll need to delete some stuff - you can do this 3 ways:

1) Boot into single user mode, make the drive writable, and then use rm to delete some files (judging by your post I wouldn't recommend this).

2) Boot from another OS X installation (on a USB drive) and delete files that way.

3) Put your mac into target disk mode, and delete files from another mac.

Reinstalling from the recovery partition will work, but will be useless if you have a very slow offshore internet connection.
Brian Y is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:25 AM   #3
stan051181
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by bma View Post
You can't erase the drive you're booted from. If the drive's full, you'll need to delete some stuff - you can do this 3 ways:

1) Boot into single user mode, make the drive writable, and then use rm to delete some files (judging by your post I wouldn't recommend this).

2) Boot from another OS X installation (on a USB drive) and delete files that way.

3) Put your mac into target disk mode, and delete files from another mac.

Reinstalling from the recovery partition will work, but will be useless if you have a very slow offshore internet connection.
As I don't have Thunderbolt cable and also don't have OS X installation USB only one option remaining is 1. Could you give me detailed step by step instruction how do make drive writable and how to delete files pls because I am not familiar at all with single user commands.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:45 AM   #4
stan051181
macrumors newbie

So now I found how to make disk writable but after typing
/sbin/mount -uw / it shows "illegal command"
What else can I do
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:02 PM   #5
xriderx11
macrumors regular

Is your computer under warranty? If so I'd go to the nearest apple store (Judging by your "(((" and ")))" you are most likely from Russia or Ukraine).

I'd try to send it away through mail.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:24 PM   #6
rezwits
macrumors regular

Send a message via ICQ to rezwits Send a message via AIM to rezwits Send a message via MSN to rezwits Send a message via Yahoo to rezwits Send a message via Skype™ to rezwits
If you have internet...

If you have internet access, and you don't care about the files that are on it. Which you probably do, you can just boot off recovery, and just "quick" erase the partition, in the ERASE section, not the Partition section, of Disk Utility. After that you can re-install from the recovery section, if you have internet...

Good luck
rezwits is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air