Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:46 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

A Behind the Scenes Look at a Steve Jobs Keynote

Former Apple employee Don Melton has been sharing a unique look behind the scenes of the Safari development team. Melton was the team leader on both the Safari and WebKit products that are now used by millions of users on iOS, the Mac, and Windows.

Previously, Melton explained how the Safari name came about, and the tale of Safari's User Agent string and the strategies his team used to keep the project under wraps.

Today, he shared details of the launch of Safari some ten years ago at the Macworld Expo in 2003. One of the more revealing sections of the piece looks behind the scenes at Steve Jobs' rehearsals for his presentation and some of the things that could have gone wrong.

Of course, thanks to Jobs' impeccable preparation, the Safari presentation -- and everything else that was revealed that day -- went off without a hitch.
Quote:
Until I watched that video I found and posted of the Macworld keynote, I had completely forgotten what else was announced that day. Which is pretty sad considering I saw Steve rehearse the whole thing at least four times.

But you have to realize I was totally focused on Safari. And Scott Forstall, my boss, wanted me at those rehearsals in case something went wrong with it.

There's nothing that can fill your underwear faster than seeing your product fail during a Steve Jobs demo.

One of my concerns at the time was network reliability. So, I brought Ken Kocienda, the first Safari engineer, with me to troubleshoot since he wrote so much of our networking code. If necessary, Ken could also diagnose and duct tape any other part of Safari too. He coined one of our team aphorisms, "If it doesn't fit, you're not shoving hard enough."

[...]

Most of the time during those rehearsals, Ken and I had nothing to do except sit in the then empty audience and watch The Master Presenter at work -- crafting his keynote. What a privilege to be a spectator during that process. At Apple, we were actually all students, not just spectators. When I see other companies clumsily announce products these days, I realize again how much the rest of the world lost now that Steve is gone.
The full article is worth a read for anyone who wants a peek behind the Apple curtain.

Article Link: A Behind the Scenes Look at a Steve Jobs Keynote
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:57 AM   #2
mankar4
macrumors 6502a

This would have been a great episode of punk'd (sarcasm)
mankar4 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:57 AM   #3
thelink
macrumors regular

Miss you Steve......
thelink is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:11 AM   #4
crossifixio
macrumors regular

10 years ago! Wow. Birth of Safari!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:46 AM   #5
jayducharme
macrumors 68010

Quote:
He coined one of our team aphorisms, ďIf it doesnít fit, youíre not shoving hard enough.Ē
Love it! One of my own maxims.
jayducharme is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:22 PM   #6
iRCL
macrumors 6502

I was excited about reading this article, until I realized it was another Don Melton story with zero content in it.

SUMMARY: I SAT IN AN EMPTY AUDITORIUM 4 TIMES WATCHING STEVE JOBS, WITHOUT ANY SPECIFIC COMMENT ON WHAT HAPPENED, AND I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER WHAT WENT ON OR WHAT OTHER PRODUCTS WERE THERE.

I'm not joking when I say -- are you even sure it's Don Melton making these comments, or are you being trolled? Literally anyone could have written these 3 stories, there are absolutely no details in any of them

I've read MacRumors for years now and these are probably the lamest stories I have ever seen run
iRCL is offline   12 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 12:28 PM   #7
unobtainium
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRCL View Post
I was excited about reading this article, until I realized it was another Don Melton story with zero content in it.

SUMMARY: I SAT IN AN EMPTY AUDITORIUM 4 TIMES WATCHING STEVE JOBS, WITHOUT ANY SPECIFIC COMMENT ON WHAT HAPPENED, AND I DON'T EVEN REMEMBER WHAT WENT ON OR WHAT OTHER PRODUCTS WERE THERE.

I'm not joking when I say -- are you even sure it's Don Melton making these comments, or are you being trolled? Literally anyone could have written these 3 stories, there are absolutely no details in any of them

I've read MacRumors for years now and these are probably the lamest stories I have ever seen run
Cool story bro.
unobtainium is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:07 PM   #8
iRCL
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by unobtainium View Post
Cool story bro.
Cool, I remember when people used to say that like 2 years ago
iRCL is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:34 PM   #9
mrxak
macrumors 65816

Quote:

Yeah, I was actually hoping to get to read about those keynote rehearsals.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 01:36 PM   #10
RobertD63
macrumors 6502

Send a message via AIM to RobertD63 Send a message via Skype™ to RobertD63
Quote:

Woah, who spit in your coffee? I thought the article was interesting. Also it's a good look into how things happened.

But I guess if it isn't exactly what iRCL likes, no one should.
RobertD63 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 03:18 PM   #11
mamcx
macrumors regular

Quote:
That is because is not the angle of the history. The angle is about safari, not about steve jobs presentations, that part is there as anecdote and look like is for show the anxiety of demo a very unlikely piece of software (KHTML), and that Apple is betting on it, instead of go to the most "safe" route.

As a developer myself, I can relate to the fear of showcase a product for first time, one that is very visible, on top of something technically good but non-battle-tested.

And can relate to with not pay much attention to anything else. What matter what was Steve doing, exactly, except that the software WORK!!!
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:00 PM   #12
Alfred.Woodden
macrumors member

Quote:

I found the story interesting and entertaining to read. I love these ex-apple employee stories working on Apple projects and around Steve JObs like a fly on the wall.

I'd like more stories like these.
Alfred.Woodden is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:03 PM   #13
Porco
macrumors 68000

This reminds me of the old joke:

Knock knock

Who's there?

A new web browser

A new web browser whoÖ ?

A new web browser based on KHTML!

Oh, well Ok, I was expecting it to be Gecko, that's all. I admit it, you really fooled me you crafty sneaky joker.
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:24 PM   #14
a0me
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

For completeness sake, here's the summary of the 2 other articles.
Article 1: Safari Developer Doesn't Remember Where the Name 'Safari' Came From.
Article 2: Safari Developer Used a Fake User Agent String Before Safari's Official Release
Old Jan 12, 2013, 08:03 AM   #15
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Article is nothing more than a boring humble brag.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:32 AM   #16
Sayer
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

Some people can actually deduce information with what is said in these anecdotes, and obviously there are those who can not. *shrug*

I guess it helps I work in a corporate/structured software development environment and am not an indie one-man-shop. The "insider's perspective" resonates with me just fine.

And btw I was sitting in the audience when Steve announced Mac OS X for the first time a few years before Safari was announced. I have no clue who else went on stage or what other products may have been announced that morning, either. Because, Mac OS X.

Although I do remember standing in line for food or something with a few guys from VersionTracker.com - remember that website?
Old Jan 11, 2013, 02:58 PM   #17
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossifixio View Post
10 years ago! Wow. Birth of Safari!
Death of Internet Explorer for Mac *shudder*
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 06:01 PM   #18
CaptainPrice01
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsir2009 View Post
Death of Internet Explorer for Mac *shudder*
Thanks Goodness. Hated IE for Mac.
CaptainPrice01 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:29 PM   #19
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainPrice01 View Post
Thanks Goodness. Hated IE for Mac.
Although when I used it when I was little it didnít actually seem that bad. It is of course beyond monsterous now, but maybe thatís just because the internet has advanced so much since then
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 11:18 PM   #20
CaptainPrice01
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Although when I used it when I was little it didnít actually seem that bad. It is of course beyond monsterous now, but maybe thatís just because the internet has advanced so much since then
True that, I preferred using Netscape at the time though. I felt IE was too "foreign" on Mac OS 7 and 8.
CaptainPrice01 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2013, 10:11 PM   #21
lordofthereef
macrumors 603

Quote:
What is beyond monstrous? The current form of IE is quit capable. I would say safari (which was also terrible for a while up until the last year or so) go toe to toe. The difference is that IE was never good, up until recently.
lordofthereef is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2013, 09:57 PM   #22
Rocketman
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by article
When I see other companies clumsily announce products these days, I realize again how much the rest of the world lost now that Steve is gone.
I totally agree. The RDF was rehersed not fictional. Not a Safari user.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:57 AM   #23
tootalltech
macrumors newbie

Wow

Thanks for the share but what a bore! I usually find these things to be interesting.. not so much this time!
tootalltech is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion