Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Amad3U5

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 17, 2012
Sydney
I purchased my 2012 MBA in November. Today I downloaded and ran SMART Utility, and it informed me that my SSD's SMART status was "failing", after only two months of use (I'm currently at 45 battery cycles).

Here are some screenshots of SMART Utility: http://imgur.com/a/PbbuW
What intrigued me the most was that although the program said that my disk is failing, none of the other tests seem to bring up any errors (zero bad block count; zero uncorrectable errors, normal temperature, etc...). Also, there hasn't been any noticeable difference in speed from when I first got it; I still can boot in under 12 seconds, and I still get read and write speeds around ~500 MB/s.

After reading about it online, I discovered that this means that my SSD doesn't have long to live :(, so I immediately backed up my data. Anyway, I have a few things to ask:

1: Are SMART tests always reliable? From the additional information given, it doesn't appear that my disk is damaged.

2: If my SSD ends up failing, is this covered by the warranty?

3: If so, can I have it replaced straight away or do I have to wait for the SSD to actually fail before bringing it in to a store?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:

krspkbl

macrumors 68020
Jul 20, 2012
It will be covered under warranty if anything goes wrong. You said that the SSD is performing OK but diagnostics are showing warning? I'd just keep using it. You have 10 months left of warranty.

Definitely get into a habit of backing up your data! I never done it until after my MacBook completely died on me. Lost all my music, photos, documents and videos I had accumulated over the 4 years of owning the machine. I have 2x256GB SSD's that I back up to. Anytime I add or change a file I highlight it red so I can keep myself right. Copy it over to the 1st SSD which is always up to date. Every couple weeks or so I plug in the second SSD and clone the 1st onto it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.