Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mathcolo

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Sep 14, 2008
Boston
Hey everyone, Oracle just came out with a Java patch (7u11) that fixes the latest security hole in the runtime environment. I tried updating my Java version with the Control Panel in System Preferences, but it appears as if the updater is broken, because I get an alert box that says "An error occurred while downloading the update. Please try again later."

Is it just me, or is it broken for you all as well?

AppliedMicro

macrumors 68020
Aug 17, 2008
I tried updating my Java version with the Control Panel in System Preferences, but it appears as if the updater is broken, because I get an alert box that says "An error occurred while downloading the update. Please try again later."
May I ask how you did that? The PreferencePane in System Preferences "redirects" me to opening "Java Control Panel" - which still shows the currently installed "Java 7 - Update 9" as "recommended" version. Automatic update seems broken for me as well, and I don't even see any way of updating manually (other than going to the website and downloading the image). Also, it doesn't even "know" that there's an update out:

At the same time, Safari throws up error messages about the installed version being out of date. And, of course, Update 11 is available from Oracle. So despite security holes in the old version and a new one being out, it cannot update it.

Craptastic. :mad:

mawool01

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2010
Java

I just went to oracles website and downloaded Java 7 11. It updated my pref pane Java Control Panel.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.