Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:55 PM   #1
aaronchow
macrumors regular

Question One account, Six iOS devices possible?

Just curious, my entire family has 4 iPhones, and I have an iPad for myself, and they are all under my Apple account. I remember somewhere that an app can only install on up to 5 devices, so if I plan to buy another iPad mini, will I still be allowed to install my previously purchased apps? Or am I simply remember incorrectly?
aaronchow is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:56 PM   #2
ZBoater
macrumors 603

So you want to buy an app once, and have you and your whole family be able to use it?

Old Jan 13, 2013, 06:59 PM   #3
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

I believe the limit is 10 devices, 5 of which can be computers.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:28 AM   #4
Fed
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapes911 View Post
Didn't know that, thanks.

I installed a new SSD into my MBP last week. Before doing it, I forgot to deauthorise the old disk. To save me from swapping out the SSD again, is it possible to remove that computer manually from iTunes? One can manager devices in iTunes, but for computers it seems you can only remove all.
Fed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 07:48 PM   #5
iThinkergoiMac
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fed View Post
I installed a new SSD into my MBP last week. Before doing it, I forgot to deauthorise the old disk. To save me from swapping out the SSD again, is it possible to remove that computer manually from iTunes? One can manager devices in iTunes, but for computers it seems you can only remove all.
You have 2 options (since it seems no one actually answered this question, I will). You can pop the old HDD back in a deauthorize it, provided you haven't erased it yet. Or you can remove everything and start reauthorizing. That's really all you have.

As to the whole debate, I think the idea is the spirit of the law. My wife and I share my ID because it's easier and more convenient, but I don't share my ID with any of the rest of my family. If you had 5 kids, all grown and out of the house, and they're all using it, I'd say that's far more suspect than if a husband and wife use it, or if a family living under one roof all use it.
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:38 AM   #6

Quote:
Source?
725032 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 03:51 AM   #7
Stooby Mcdoobie
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
Source?
Your Apple ID can have up to 10 devices and computers (combined) associated with it.
Stooby Mcdoobie is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 07:32 AM   #8
grapes911
Demi-God (Moderator emeritus)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiPi View Post
Source?
I prefixed my response with "I believe" because I didn't have a source. I should have made that clearer. It was just something I remember reading somewhere but I wasn't really sure though. Stooby Mcdoobie provided a source but it looks like I was a bit wrong. The 5 computer limit is untrue but the 10 device limit was correct.

Old Jan 13, 2013, 07:03 PM   #9
aaronchow
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZBoater View Post
So you want to buy an app once, and have you and your whole family be able to use it?

Yes, I actually plan to pass them to my son, and have my son passes them to their sons, so on and so forth

----------

Quote:
Thanks. In that case, I will buy my mini soon.
aaronchow is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:26 PM   #10
ZipZap
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronchow View Post
Just curious, my entire family has 4 iPhones, and I have an iPad for myself, and they are all under my Apple account. I remember somewhere that an app can only install on up to 5 devices, so if I plan to buy another iPad mini, will I still be allowed to install my previously purchased apps? Or am I simply remember incorrectly?
One account multiple users quickly gets out of had with kids.
ZipZap is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 02:51 PM   #11
hsuthard
macrumors newbie

I'd like more clarification on this. I share my iTunes account with my three kids and husband. My husband also has his own account which he uses predominantly, but the kids don't own their own credit cards and all use my account. Between the four of us, we have four iPhones, three iPads, three iPod touches, plus our three Mac computers (one son has a pc ). We've also had devices replaced through the years via AppleCare replacements so that my apps have been installed on even more devices.

I have never seen an error message telling me I couldn't install on a device, and I don't intend to be breaking any EULA's either. But we all have automatic downloads turned on (me, so I can see what my kids are downloading, and them because they like similar things).

We also have iTunes Match to share music between all our devices as well. Is there a device limit there, too?

Am I breaking laws here? That surely was not my intent.
hsuthard is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:50 PM   #12
Tbdbuckeyeitl
macrumors regular

One apple Id. Over ten ios devices.

I have one apple I'd and I have ten ios devices. I am going to get an ipad mini. What do I need to do to add the 11 ios device(ipad mini). If I deauthorize a device how long before I can add it back. How and where do I go to do this?
Tbdbuckeyeitl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 03:52 PM   #13
BaldiMac
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbdbuckeyeitl View Post
I have one apple I'd and I have ten ios devices. I am going to get an ipad mini. What do I need to do to add the 11 ios device(ipad mini). If I deauthorize a device how long before I can add it back. How and where do I go to do this?
The 10 device limit only applies to iTunes Match and Automatic downloads. You can sync your iTunes apps and media with unlimited iOS devices.
BaldiMac is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:47 PM   #14
Tbdbuckeyeitl
macrumors regular

Are you sure. I thought there was a limit on iOS devices
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:52 PM   #15
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Are you sure. I thought there was a limit on iOS devices
I can confirm this. Between our own iPhones, iPads and iPods, our boss's iPhone and iPad, and our sister's iPad and iPod, we have synced well over 10 devices to our computer.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:20 PM   #16
Tbdbuckeyeitl
macrumors regular

Was all of them using the same apple Id???
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:51 PM   #17
Night Spring
macrumors G3

Quote:
Was all of them using the same apple Id???
Using the same Apple ID for what? There's so many different things an iOS device can use Apple ID for, and each of them can be set to a different ID. On my iPad, I have one Apple ID for the App Store, another for iCloud syncing, and if I wanted, I could use yet another ID for FaceTime.

The point is, for instance, for the App Store, there isn't a way to authorize / deauthorize individual devices. You simply sign in with an Apple ID. You can sign in and out as often as you want, and so far, I haven't run into a limit. Same with any of the other functions associated with Apple IDs. Only exception is iTunes Match and automatic downloads. If you do run into the limits with those functions, you can disassociate devices by following instructions here: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4627

Last edited by Night Spring; Jan 15, 2013 at 07:00 PM.
Night Spring is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 10:13 PM   #18
Bobby.e
macrumors 6502

For those that jumped on me. I went and setup a VPP account.
Bobby.e is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad