Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
OmniGraffle and OmniOutliner came with my Powerbook G4 installation DVD and I would like to install it on my Mac Pro as well.
Unfortunately it won't install on my Mac Pro and transferring the already installed applications/preference files from the Powerbook does work, but it comes up as unlicensed.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
OmniGraffle and OmniOutliner came with my Powerbook G4 installation DVD and I would like to install it on my Mac Pro as well.
Unfortunately it won't install on my Mac Pro and transferring the already installed applications/preference files from the Powerbook does work, but it comes up as unlicensed.

You might have a problem here, are the Apps Universal?

One is a PPC architecture while the other is Intel!

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
They both work on my (Intel) Mac Pro, but upon further inspection ("Get info" in the Finder) I see that OmniOutliner is universal while OmniGraffle is PowerPC. Strange that the latter works on my Mac Pro.

Anyway, the licensing is obviously missing. I've taken care to copy over both the "Application support" sub-folder as well as the prefs. Where else could those files be located? They're obviously licensed on my Powerbook.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
They both work on my (Intel) Mac Pro, but upon further inspection ("Get info" in the Finder) I see that OmniOutliner is universal while OmniGraffle is PowerPC. Strange that the latter works on my Mac Pro.

Anyway, the licensing is obviously missing. I've taken care to copy over both the "Application support" sub-folder as well as the prefs. Where else could those files be located? They're obviously licensed on my Powerbook.

The licenses on my 10.5.8 are in

/Users/****/Library/Application Support/Omni Group/Software Licenses

These files can be opened with TextEdit, better yet with Property List Editor if you have Dev. Tools installed.

If you want to know the Architecture of the executables do the following.

Open terminal and type:

lipo -info and the drag the contents of OmniOutliner/Contents/MacOS/OmniOutliner here

hit enter and you see which Arch types are supported.

But, it seems they are Universal, otherwise they won't run on Mac Pro, or are you running SL with rosseta?

Last edited:

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California

I'm guessing you have Snow Leopard (SL) on the Pro. SL still has the Rosetta PPC emulator, which is gone in Lion and Mountain Lion. So you can still run PPC apps under SL.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
Yes, I believe you're right as when running some other software I was asked if I wanted to install Rosetta.
I checked (using the terminal commands posted by justperry earlier in this thread) and found out that both were PPC apps.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
The licenses on my 10.5.8 are in

/Users/****/Library/Application Support/Omni Group/Software Licenses

You're right -almost. I found them in /Library/Application Support/Omni Group/Software Licenses.
That solved the whole problem :)

Edit: moving that folder over to the user area (the location you first said) works as well -makes more sense in my opinion.

Last edited:

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
You're right -almost. I found them in /Library/Application Support/Omni Group/Software Licenses.
That solved the whole problem :)

Edit: moving that folder over to the user area (the location you first said) works as well -makes more sense in my opinion.

Ah, forgot to say, when you installed those Apps you probably were asked if you want to install for All Users or only the User you are in, if you chose All it will install in /Library and the ~/Home/Library folder for the other one.

So, you learned a thing now about Arch type/lipo -info.

Good it's solved.

macstatic

macrumors 68010
Original poster
Oct 21, 2005
Norway
I've been asked about that when installing some other apps, but not this one. Probably because it was part of an OSX installation. I just got to choose which apps to include/exclude when clicking on "customize".

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
MacRumors rules forbid requesting help in installing against the license terms. The license for the included software like other OEM software is not transferrable and the apps can only be run on a single computer.

Warez/Serials/Keys. Do not post software serial numbers or keys or refer people to specific websites, software, or techniques whose purpose is to break or bypass software licensing methods, distribute cracks, or obtain or use commercial software or media in violation of its license and/or for copyright violation. Do not ask for or give such help.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
After further review it appears the licensing terms of the applications allows multiple computers and so this thread is now reopened.

Here's from Omnigroups' website.

Our products are usually licensed for a given number of computers or people, deciding in favor of the smaller of the two numbers if they aren't the same. For instance, one person with both a laptop and a desktop computer (or, say, a home machine and an office machine) can legally install and use a single license on both computers. Similarly, one home computer shared by three family members needs only a single license of the software.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I've been asked about that when installing some other apps, but not this one. Probably because it was part of an OSX installation. I just got to choose which apps to include/exclude when clicking on "customize".

Some Applications won't ask, like this one is licensed for more users on one computer so this is probably the case.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.