Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air

Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:03 AM   #1
cramazing
macrumors 6502

Get MBA or iPad?

So I have this Lenovo T430s for work, it has great specs, but the graphics on it is just terrible, especially since I have a 15" Retina display MBP for personally use.

I am now debating if I should sell the Lenovo and either get a 11" or 13" Macbook Air or the new gen iPad. The machine I use for work will mostly be for Outlook, and maybe some MS Office stuff, but mostly for Outlook. I dont carry this machine to work as I have a desktop in the office, this device mainly stays at home, and once in a while to a business meeting or when I travel.

The reason I got the Lenovo was to learn Windows 8 a little bit and also have both Mac and Windows machines at home, but after 2 months of use, the Lenovo is just undesirable.

Here's my spec on the Lenovo.

ThinkPad T430s - 1 Year Topseller Express Depot Warranty
Processor: Intel Core i7-3520M Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.60 GHz)
Operating System: Windows 8 Pro 64
Operating System Language: Windows 8 Pro 64 English
Display Type: 14.0" HD+ (1600 x 900) LED Backlit Anti-Glare Display, Mobile Broadband Ready
System Graphics: Intel HD Graphics 4000 with Intel Core i7-3520M Processor
Total Memory: 16 GB PC3-12800 DDR3 (2 DIMM)
Keyboard: Keyboard (Backlit) US English
Pointing Device: UltraNav multi-touch touchpad & TrackPoint with Fingerprint Reader
Camera: 720p HD Camera Mic
Hard Drive: 180GB Solid State Drive, SATA3
Ultrabay: DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim w/ SW Royalty for Windows 8
System Expansion Slots: Express Card Slot & 4 in 1 Card Reader & Smart Card Reader
Battery: 6 Cell Lithium Battery T81+
Bay Battery: 3 Cell Ultrabay Battery
Power Cord: 90W AC Adapter - US (2pin)
Bluetooth: Bluetooth 4.0 with Antenna
Integrated WiFi Wireless LAN Adapters: Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300 AGN
Integrated Mobile Broadband: Mobile Broadband upgradable
Language Pack: Language Pack Win8 US English
Microsoft Productivity Software Preload: Microsoft Office Home and Busi

Last edited by cramazing; Jan 14, 2013 at 10:47 AM.
cramazing is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:30 AM   #2
iAppl3Fan
macrumors 6502a

Get an MBA and install Windows on it for your Outlook needs. You'll thank yourself.
iAppl3Fan is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 10:48 AM   #3
yinz
macrumors 6502a

If you already have a MacBook Pro with Retina Display, I think the MacBook Air would be somewhat redundant.

If mail is all you use THIS device for, I'd say go with the iPad. The Retina display would be fine compared with your MBP and it's a little lighter to carry than the MBA (although not by much). The battery will also last longer and you'll have less redundancy in your lineup of devices.

I hope this helped. Cheers.
yinz is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:42 AM   #4
cramazing
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by yinz View Post
If you already have a MacBook Pro with Retina Display, I think the MacBook Air would be somewhat redundant.

If mail is all you use THIS device for, I'd say go with the iPad. The Retina display would be fine compared with your MBP and it's a little lighter to carry than the MBA (although not by much). The battery will also last longer and you'll have less redundancy in your lineup of devices.

I hope this helped. Cheers.
the only reason i wouldnt get an iPad is because I want the Outlook features, something an Ipad cant give me
Old Jan 14, 2013, 11:45 AM   #5
thejadedmonkey
macrumors 604

Send a message via AIM to thejadedmonkey
Quote:
Originally Posted by fng2584 View Post
the only reason i wouldnt get an iPad is because I want the Outlook features, something an Ipad cant give me
What about a surface?
experience comes from bad judgment."
- Mulla Nasrudin
thejadedmonkey is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2013, 12:43 PM   #6
cramazing
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
What about a surface?
i thought about that but i really prefer an apple product.

if i stay with MS, i would just keep my lenovo
Old Jan 15, 2013, 08:41 AM   #7
DaveN
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by thejadedmonkey View Post
What about a surface?
Hmmmm.... MS trademarked the word 'Windows' and then petitioned that the term 'App Store' was generic and shouldn't be allowed a trademark. Then they go and name their next product 'Surface'. Did they trademark the word 'Surface'?

----------

Are you using Outlook to access your work e-mail? If so, does your office have a web-accessible version of Outlook? My place of work does and I access it using my iPad (and pc, and mac). We have the original iPad and the iPad mini at home and use both all the time. For travel though, the mine will go on the frequent short trips and both on the longer vacations.

That said, since you have a MB Pro, why not install Windows on it and sell the Levano outright? You probably don't really need anything new.
DaveN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:56 PM   #8
Nimravus
macrumors member

I think it really depends on the person. I use my iPad 90% of the time and use my MBA only when I need to create something like a spreadsheet for work.

Games and reading magazines are awesome on the iPad. Using the iPad as a second screen while watching TV is awesome, like watching Dexter and seeing all the live comments from around the country, etc etc. iPad is great for being lazy on the couch or taking everywhere so you have something to do while waiting for an oil change.

It's really 2 different things so you have to get both. Yeah that's it, get both. Problem solved.
Nimravus is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Branco
macrumors newbie

I own both an iPad Mini and a MBA '12. Both devices work very smooth, but I always grab my Macbook when it comes to writing, editing and that kind of stuff.

I choose for the iPad Mini because imo the full size iPad competes a lot more with a MacBook.

If I had to choose between iPad or Macbook, i'd say Macbook, or better: both
Branco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:46 AM   #10
Confuzzzed
macrumors 68000

Get MBA or iPad?

I own both. The convergence is striking with every new version of the iPad. But the iPad will age more quickly in my opionion so it also depends on your replacement cycle. You want to buy the MBA. Buy it. It won't let you down. But given the machines you already have at your disposal (including rMBP), I really don't understand why you need another computer if you can set up MS Office on your rMBP? In which case, I'd go for iPad. Of course you can't get outlook on iPad BUT the iOS Mail client can be set up with Outlook and IMO it is more than adequate for 97.3% of what you will be doing in Outlook.

Last edited by Confuzzzed; Jan 24, 2013 at 03:17 PM.
Confuzzzed is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Apple Hardware > Notebooks > MacBook Air