Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development

Old Jan 15, 2013, 12:01 PM   #1
Kashchei
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to Kashchei Send a message via Yahoo to Kashchei Send a message via Skype™ to Kashchei
Web Hosting Recommendation

I am a refugee from MobileMe and it took me this long to get up the courage to begin to put my website back online. I've bought a domain name but I need a recommendation for web hosting. I tried the two-week trial offer of Dreamhost, which uses shared hosting, but to be honest, I don't even know what that means. So I thought I'd turn to the experts on this site for a current recommendation. FWIW, my website is just under 10 GB and could grow in the future.

Thank you in advance for whatever help you are able to provide!
Old Jan 15, 2013, 02:49 PM   #2
fig
macrumors 6502a

You'd probably be fine with Dreamhost for an average site, I use a Mac-based host called Server Logistics out of California that I've been really happy with. What exactly are you doing that you have a 10GB website?

Shared hosting just means that, rather than renting an entire server from them, you're sharing space on a server with a number of other website. Unless you had a massive corporate/e-commerce sort of website shared hosting is all you're going to need.
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:08 PM   #3
designs216
macrumors 65816

GoDaddy is not so good. Also, I've had poor customer service from 1&1. BlueHost is who I use now and they seem competent but they're not cheap.
designs216 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:39 PM   #4
manueld
macrumors 6502

bluehost
manueld is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 06:52 PM   #5
Kashchei
macrumors 65816

Send a message via MSN to Kashchei Send a message via Yahoo to Kashchei Send a message via Skype™ to Kashchei
Quote:
Originally Posted by fig View Post
What exactly are you doing that you have a 10GB website?
I am a teacher and I wrote an online tutorial for my students that includes lots of graphics and sound files. The reason it could grow in the future is that there may be more topics that are added to the tutorial. Would this argue in favor of Dreamhost, which didn't have a limit on website size the way I've seen from other hosts?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:00 AM   #6
fig
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kashchei View Post
I am a teacher and I wrote an online tutorial for my students that includes lots of graphics and sound files. The reason it could grow in the future is that there may be more topics that are added to the tutorial. Would this argue in favor of Dreamhost, which didn't have a limit on website size the way I've seen from other hosts?
Any host that offers a lot of storage should be fine, I'd just do some looking and see which hosts offer enough data storage for you.

More importantly is probably how much bandwidth the different hosts and plans offer, with that much data stored you could be using up a lot of bandwidth and wouldn't want to be charged by going over a preset limit.

You might also get with someone who knows something about websites to review your content and see if you can make it more efficient. 10gb seems like a lot even for what you described.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 03:26 PM   #7
Flood123
macrumors 6502a

mediatemple
http://mediatemple.net/
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:05 PM   #8
DaveN
macrumors 6502

I'm happy on a2hosting.com
DaveN is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 09:25 PM   #9
mjep
macrumors newbie

This, oddly enough, was the post that got me to register. Hands down, www.tera-byte.com. You have never seen customer support like theirs--I get emails back within minutes, 24/7, even on holidays. Brilliant. (And just to be perfectly clear, I have no relationship with them other than a very satisfied customer).
mjep is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:39 AM   #10
rsnapeuk
macrumors regular

SimplexWebs -

I've been with Simplexwebs since '10 when the first opened, I've never been left disappointed, great round the clock 24/7 and a premium service.

Check out their reviews on ratelobby: http://ratelobby.com/review/175/simplexwebs

https://www.simplexwebs.com/why-us

Please use my referral link:
https://www.simplexwebs.com/panel/aff.php?aff=073

No connection other than just an extremely satisfied customer.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 06:46 AM   #11
Bobby.e
macrumors 6502

I just switched my company website to host gator. I am on their highest shared hosting plan. I have been happy with it.
Bobby.e is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Web Design and Development