Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
Lovely series - problem is: the GOG version is the PC one, when everyone and their dog knows that Avernum and every other Spiderweb game were released on the Mac first.

No its available for Mac and PC, downdloading the Mac version now.

Just follow my link it says for Mac and PC.

Geneforge is PC only at GOG but not Avernum.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
No, I mean the version used by GOG for the Mac - it's the PC one, as everything else over there.

Yes. sorry you are correct they running under Wine, very starnge when there are the Mac originals as you say.

I can only assume because these are old games they have them running under Wine because later OS and has no Rosetta, and for the later used Intel CPUs.

EDIT: It looks like it is only 1, 2 and 3 which are under wine.

Last edited:

cluthz

macrumors 68040
Jun 15, 2004
Norway
Yes. sorry you are correct they running under Wine, very starnge when there are the Mac originals as you say.

I can only assume because these are old games they have them running under Wine because later OS and has no Rosetta, and for the later used Intel CPUs.

Are all games wine, as version 4,5 and 6 are intel native?

Cougarcat

macrumors 604
Sep 19, 2003
No, I mean the version used by GOG for the Mac - it's the PC one, as everything else over there.

If there are native Mac versions, GoG will use them. King's Bounty, for example, is native.

The reason Avernum Complete uses Wine is that the Avernum 1-3 were never updated for intel macs. Are the later games in the series on GoG native? I can't check, but I would imagine they are. If not, that's kinda strange.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
If there are native Mac versions, GoG will use them. King's Bounty, for example, is native.

The reason Avernum Complete uses Wine is that the Avernum 1-3 were never updated for intel macs. Are the later games in the series on GoG native? I can't check, but I would imagine they are. If not, that's kinda strange.

Yup, I updated my post above it is indeed only 1,2 and 3 that Wine uses for my reasons given above.

Last edited:

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland

If this is true, I will feel happier; as long as the only reason is that they use WINE for PowerPC Mac versions.

Washac

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jul 2, 2006
If this is true, I will feel happier; as long as the only reason is that they use WINE for PowerPC Mac versions.

I have looked at the package contents of 1 to 6 and Blades of Avernum which you get in the Saga package

The 1 to 3 are wine packed, the rest are not.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.