Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:52 PM   #1
beyondthesmile
macrumors 6502a

16GB iPad Mini

Hi all,

I know the general rule of thumb for most is that "bigger is better" when it comes to storage capacity. I tend to agree, especially with computer HDDs and RAM.

I am interested in getting an iPad Mini and am wondering if the 16GB is sufficient, however, given the fact that I don't intend to have many, if any, movies or TV shows on it (I may have the occasional video take on the iPad?). I doubt I will also put much music on it, because I tend to use my iPhone as my mp3 player.

My iPhone is a 32GB and still has 19.1 GB free with music, apps and photos on it. While I'll likely have the same number of apps on the iPad mini as I do on my phone, I doubt I will have even half the number of photos on the mini as I do on my phone, and won't have any music on it. I DO intend to use it as an ereader with some of the many ereader apps.

Given this, would you go with the 16GB, or is it still best to go with a higher capacity?

Thank you!
beyondthesmile is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 04:56 PM   #2
Che Castro
macrumors 601

I have a 16gb & don't have any music or videos , or those 1gb games
But I do have a lot of regular apps

I have about 4gb free

But remember the ipad mini shoots 1080p video so a 5 minute video takes a lot of space

I also download youtube videos that I like with mctube , that's another 2gb
Che Castro is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:03 PM   #3
WilliamLondon
macrumors 68000

I went through the same thing as you, I'd first planned on a 16GB mini as I didn't plan on music or videos using my space, but last minute I opted for the 32GB, and I have to say I'm sooooooo glad I did. Actually at this point I almost wish I'd opted for the 64GB because I'm slightly managing space, mostly due to big apps (games, some of which are awesome but HUGE, like Asphalt 7 - 1.5GB!). Also, I use it for books (including quite a lot of PDFs), so those are taking some space, and I appreciate having the extra storage for them.

Apple makes it difficult for those of us who don't have money to burn, but one thing you'll never regret is too much storage, it's only not having enough that will be your regret. If you can swing it, go for the 32GB version, that's my advice, if not, no problem, you just might have to manage space a bit (not a horrible situation at all).

Hope that helps, feel free to post your first impressions when you get it, always love to read how others are getting on with their new Apple devices!
WilliamLondon is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:07 PM   #4
Bokes
macrumors 6502

I usually go 64 but went with the 32 this time and kind of regret it.
I am hoping the mini 2 gets released sooner than later.
When it does I'll go back to 64.

I can't imagine media managing for 16...ugh.
Bokes is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:27 PM   #5
beyondthesmile
macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys! I appreciate the responses. Sorry to be another "HOW MUCH SPACE?" person

I'll consider the storage more... especially since I do want to keep it for some time (I don't tend to purchase a new model each generation).

I will definitely share first impressions when I get mine!
beyondthesmile is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:34 PM   #6
Electcon

Bigger is most certainly not better.

Bigger is more expensive, and a waste of money if you are not going to be using it. It's important that you know what you will be doing. Apple storage space on iDevices is super expensive.

I have a 16 GM Mini and it's more than I need.
Electcon is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:41 PM   #7
beyondthesmile
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electcon View Post

Bigger is more expensive, and a waste of money if you are not going to be using it. It's important that you know what you will be doing. Apple storage space on iDevices is super expensive.

What do you keep on yours?
Old Jan 15, 2013, 05:42 PM   #8
ultra7k
macrumors regular

FWIW I had a 16gb iPad 2, figured it would be enough since I wouldn't be storing videos/music on it.

Then I started subbing magazines, and keeping iPad apps, 16gb was not enough. i know when the mini 2 is released I will be buying a minimum of 32gb.
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:41 PM   #9
maxosx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electcon View Post

There are strong arguments either way. That's why I don't have any interest in declaring one configuration or model the best.

It's all about each persons values, preferences, and life expectancy goals.

When it comes to iDevices I always buy 16GB and never run out of room. Even though I've been an Apple Customer for years with a vast collection of music, videos, pics, podcasts, ebooks etc. That said I also have NAS in my network, and lots of external storage options. If an iPad or other device is a users only device I can understand why they'd keep all their content on it.

Finally there's two additional reasons I stick to 16GB. I have a hard time justifying the obscenely high price Apple charges for more capacity. Instead of being reasonable, they take the opportunity to hit us hard for the size upgrade.

Second is the fact that I enjoy upgrading at each new release. That means a new device at least once a year.
maxosx is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 10:30 AM   #10
Bear
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by beyondthesmile View Post

My iPhone is a 32GB and still has 19.1 GB free with music, apps and photos on it. While I'll likely have the same number of apps on the iPad mini as I do on my phone, I doubt I will have even half the number of photos on the mini as I do on my phone, and won't have any music on it. I DO intend to use it as an ereader with some of the many ereader apps.

Given this, would you go with the 16GB, or is it still best to go with a higher capacity?

Thank you!
Why wouldn't you put at least some music on it? I know many people who listen to soft music while reading.

Anyway, it sounds like 16GB might be enough in your case, you might want to consider 32GB if you plan on keeping it for a while, especially as you don't know how your usage will change over time.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 11:36 AM   #11
joshwithachance
macrumors 65816

I pretty much just store games/apps and photos on my iPad mini, and I still have about 8GB of space left. You should be completely fine with the 16GB model.
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:03 PM   #12
beyondthesmile
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bear View Post
Why wouldn't you put at least some music on it? I know many people who listen to soft music while reading.

Anyway, it sounds like 16GB might be enough in your case, you might want to consider 32GB if you plan on keeping it for a while, especially as you don't know how your usage will change over time.
I don't know, I found when I had my last iPad (an iPad 2 that I sold), I never put music on it. I had 1 or 2 videos that I'd delete after watching. I just find I don't really listen to music while I'm reading, at least not on the go through earphones.

I think I may consider 32GB just because I plan to keep it for a while and don't want to find myself running out of storage space.

I'll be using my Mini for games, calendar/mail (they sync OTA via outlook exchange), ebooks (hoping my eyes can handle them!), and probably random other things here and there.

Now the next debate is going to be wifi or data...hahaha. I like the mobility that data offers but don't know if I'll be using it on the go enough to justify it (since I have my iPhone). I found when I had my iPad 2 I was convinced I'd need data but ended up cancelling it. (I can't pick up wifi at most public places I go.)
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:26 PM   #13
ZBoater
macrumors 603

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it. Get the most space you can afford. These things are not upgradeable. You may think you don't need it, but then you get that app that take up 1GB, you start shooting video, you feel like watching movies and BAM! You're outta space.

I'd buy a 512GB version if they made one...
Old Jan 17, 2013, 12:46 PM   #14
TyPod
macrumors 68000

If you can afford it, go ahead and go big!

I have a 16GB mini and it's enough for me. Of course I could put more music and other media on it, but I just put on the playlists I prefer to listen to on the go.
TyPod is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2013, 01:53 PM   #15
TJ61
macrumors 6502a

As others have said, shooting video can really fill up memory fast. BUT, that's why I have a camera app that allows me to shoot in lower res. I never shoot at higher than 720p. Just an option to consider.

As far as getting your money's worth, I agree that 16GB is the sweet spot.

All that being said, I got the 32GB because I like to have a lot of video with me (movies to watch, and movies to edit in iMovie).

Regards,
Tom
TJ61 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad