Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

76ShovelHead

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 30, 2010
Florida
I'm interested in the Core i3 3225. Has anyone got positive things to say about it in relation to other CPUs (AMD or Intel) out on the market?

I'd really like to run OS X, but I know I need to get the best performance for the money (AMD). And I'm kinda reluctant to purchase a dual core since most CELL PHONES are now quad.

I do a little web design. I am big at multitasking. I sometimes play the sims. I have skyrim and GTA IV and will definitely purchase GTA V when it comes out. I use a lot of office programs since I'm a full time student, and I am going to college for teaching so another point for office software.

So I guess I'm asking how is the Core i3 3225? I have Core 2 Duo E8400 now, should I make it a point to get a quad core? I'd like to consider AMD, but I really need OS X.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009
I'd really like to run OS X, but I know I need to get the best performance for the money (AMD). And I'm kinda reluctant to purchase a dual core since most CELL PHONES are now quad.

Most cell phones have a quad core? I can guarantee you that no "dumb" phone has a quad core (they are single core only and very slow at that), and most smart phones sold are single and dual core. Outside of a few high end Android (sure the Galaxy note II which has sold over 5 million is quad core), there aren't many quad core cell phones. The most popular phone in the world* (iPhone 5) is still only dual core.

* I haven't looked to see the most recent numbers as far as phone sales, so this is based on older figures.

jobush

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2013
So... Are we talking hackintosh?..
Or a Mac comput with an i3 CPU?

Okay, I'm guessing hackintosh.

I have no doubts that it will run the said games... But I would say go for i5 by the least, quad core is quickly being standard for desktop computing.

The model you're talking about is one of the fastest desktop dual core processors offered by intel, but there will be a significant difference between the i5 and the i3 no doubt.

And if you want to game, CPU is your second concern. You need to cash out a good graphics card; that's what matters.

Hackintosh is really difficult to pull off unless you can buy the exact same build that were successful before, and follow the directions to the letter.

If you don't know much about computers, stay away from hackintosh. Like, really.

If you are desperate for OSX, it's a lot more practical to shell out a Mac.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.