Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sullkat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
I am thinking of upgrading my 3gs version 3.1.3 to ios6.0.1 but am really confused on the best way to do it.
The phone is unlocked, is there a simple newbe step by step guide on how to do the update?

PsstGreek

macrumors 68040
Oct 21, 2010
Tampa Bay
I am thinking of upgrading my 3gs version 3.1.3 to ios6.0.1 but am really confused on the best way to do it.
The phone is unlocked, is there a simple newbe step by step guide on how to do the update?

Factory unlocked or ultrasn0w unlocked?

Assuming you're unlocked with ultrasn0w, you would have to create a custom firmware with redsn0w preserving the baseband.

You could always purchase an IMEI unlock, which saves the hassle of unlocking and jailbreaking. It's permanent, and updating to a newer firmware is a breeze.

sullkat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
I can only guess it was with redsnow or something because it had CYDIA on it which somehow disappeared or accidently deleted.
The phone is currently using my sim card from tmobile, I have no problem downloading from istore but as you know most apps require something over 4.0

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
Before you upgrade, use a program like iFaith to back up your SHSH blobs for 3.1.3. That's quite a rare firmware for a 3GS these days. :)

sullkat

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Factory unlocked or ultrasn0w unlocked?

Assuming you're unlocked with ultrasn0w, you would have to create a custom firmware with redsn0w preserving the baseband.

You could always purchase an IMEI unlock, which saves the hassle of unlocking and jailbreaking. It's permanent, and updating to a newer firmware is a breeze.

Any recommendations on which one? I was looking at iphone-unlocker-pro-dot

Xenomorph

macrumors 65816
Aug 6, 2008
St. Louis

Something to keep in mind:

The 3GS takes a performance hit going from iOS 3.x to 4.x.

It took another performance hit going from iOS 4.x to 4.3.x/5.x/6.x (mostly due to RAM).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.