Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:24 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Sharp Reportedly Cutting iPad Display Production Amid Shift in Consumer Interest to iPad Mini

Reuters reports that Sharp, one of Apple's primary display panel partners for its mobile devices, has slashed production of iPad displays at one of its plants. Sources did not indicate the reasons for the dramatic cut, but it appears to be a combination of a shift in consumer interest to the smaller iPad mini and a natural seasonal slowdown coming out of the holiday quarter.
Quote:
Sharp Corp has nearly halted production of 9.7-inch screens for Apple Inc's iPad, two sources said, as demand shifts to its smaller iPad mini.

Sharp's iPad screen production line at its Kameyama plant in central Japan has fallen to the minimal level to keep the line running this month after a gradual slowdown began at the end of 2012 as Apple manages its inventory, the industry sources with knowledge of Sharp's production plans told Reuters.
Apple also obtains iPad display panels from Samsung and LG Display, with a source at Samsung indicating that there has been no production cut there and a source at LG suggesting that any production cuts there were in line with typical seasonality.

Reports of cutbacks in iPad component production come close on the heels of reports that Apple has slashed orders for iPhone 5 parts, although there have been significant questions about the figures cited in those reports and whether the decline actually represents a weakening of demand.

Article Link: Sharp Reportedly Cutting iPad Display Production Amid Shift in Consumer Interest to iPad Mini
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:27 AM   #2
japanime
macrumors 65816

Will be interesting to see how the stock market reacts to this latest news.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:37 AM   #3
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by japanime View Post
No hard facts, unnamed sources, zero context, pure assumption. I'd hardly call this news.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

And so? There has been cannibalization within the Apple product line ever since.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:15 AM   #5
japanime
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
No hard facts, unnamed sources, zero context, pure assumption. I'd hardly call this news.
I don't disagree with you. But the fact remains that the stock market pays attention to reports originating with major wire services like Reuters.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:34 AM   #6
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
I don't disagree with you. But the fact remains that the stock market pays attention to reports originating with major wire services like Reuters.
I don't care about the stock market (and I'm guessing MacRumors doesn't either). My issue is with sites like MacRumors, AppleInsider etc. reporting on this stuff and making conclusions based off basically nothing. IF this rumor is true, for all we know it could be because a new iPad is coming this quarter (we have heard rumors about that too) and Apple is moving to IGZO displays. But true or not, there is nothing in this story that would allow one to come to any conclusions. Yet true to form, that's what most people here are doing.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:19 AM   #7
CausticPuppy
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Based on previous events, I'd say the reaction will be highly irrational.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by polbit View Post
I still find it funny that the product Jobs said nobody wanted it stealing the tablet show at Apple by most accounts.
This was the same Steve Jobs who insisted that there would never, ever be a video iPod.
iPad Air/iPhone5S
CausticPuppy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:30 AM   #8
notjustjay
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by CausticPuppy View Post
This was the same Steve Jobs who insisted that there would never, ever be a video iPod.
Yeah. Steve said a lot of things.

He said nobody wanted to watch video on a tiny 2" screen. At least until the iPod with video came out.

He said nobody wanted flash mp3 players with small amounts of storage. At least until the iPod shuffle came out.

He said that web-based apps would suit the iPhone and iPod touch just fine, and that a developer SDK wasn't necessary.

He also said "You're holding it wrong."
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:02 PM   #9
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
Yeah. Steve said a lot of things.

He said nobody wanted to watch video on a tiny 2" screen. At least until the iPod with video came out.

He said nobody wanted flash mp3 players with small amounts of storage. At least until the iPod shuffle came out.

He said that web-based apps would suit the iPhone and iPod touch just fine, and that a developer SDK wasn't necessary.

He also said "You're holding it wrong."
Don't forget iBooks,preceded by"people don't read books anymore."
Old Jan 18, 2013, 10:14 AM   #10
wovel
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Whatever it takes to keep the price down until 1/19.
wovel is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:01 AM   #11
Digital Skunk
macrumors 604

I would have to say that I was rather taken by the iPad Mini. I've always considered my iPad to be too heavy and too big at times. It begs to be taken everywhere, but it's just big enough to need a dedicated bag when I do take it out of my office.

My Note 2 has since replaced the iPad for most of the mobile work I do, but I've been eyeballing a more up-to-date Mini to fill in the need for an actual tablet.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 01:18 PM   #12
TallManNY
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Skunk View Post
I would have to say that I was rather taken by the iPad Mini. I've always considered my iPad to be too heavy and too big at times. It begs to be taken everywhere, but it's just big enough to need a dedicated bag when I do take it out of my office.

My Note 2 has since replaced the iPad for most of the mobile work I do, but I've been eyeballing a more up-to-date Mini to fill in the need for an actual tablet.
Right there with you. Nexus 7 is getting the love for its portability. But it seems too small for real work to get done on it. I haven't even bothered to get my work email connected to it. IPad Mini with Retina is really the device I want. I feel like I can have that on the table during a high powered business meeting and everyone will know and understand what it is. My Nexus 7 I think is going to look too gamey and toy like. And it is too small for document work. But I love how it slips into my suit pocket.
TallManNY is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 03:42 PM   #13
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Like they react to all Apple news: ”Apple is doomed!”
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:27 AM   #14
newdeal
macrumors 68000

maybe they are transitioning production in these factories to IGZO
newdeal is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:29 AM   #15
dlewis23
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by newdeal View Post
maybe they are transitioning production in these factories to IGZO
That would be a good reason.
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:31 AM   #16
BornAgainApple
macrumors 6502

And investors will overreact once again.
BornAgainApple is offline   17 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 09:29 AM   #17
HenryDJP
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by BornAgainApple View Post
Well that's part of the game and to be fair about it, this very forum is the most overreactive set of "humans" known to man.

"A distance friend of a friend of a friend of a source SAID they HEARD that Apple MIGHT be giving up on electronics devices SOMEDAY".

After reading that this forum (AKA armchair CEO's) starts acting like whiny babies and stomping their feet saying, "How dare you Apple for ruining my life".
HenryDJP is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 11:34 AM   #18
carlgo
macrumors 68000

Quote:
The anal-ists and shorts still manipulate this stock, seemingly more than that of other companies. Maybe Apple should buy back a lot of it now.

90% of people are happy enough with the actual power of devices, leaving it up to screen technology and style and price to sell. And it seems short product cycles are the rule now as Apple is starting to compete with the product cycles of competitors and possibly even on price in the future.

Last edited by carlgo; Jan 18, 2013 at 11:47 AM.
carlgo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 09:40 PM   #19
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Like they did when the stock broke $700?

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Brady View Post
That's not what he said.
He said that a 7 inch tablet cannot properly express tablet apps. Does it matter? The guy would say anything to get money.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon.hibbs View Post
Steve chose his words very carefully.

Yes he did. And the words were intended to create false impressions that would yield ever-larger profits for Apple, and not to convey any truth or reality.

Fer crissakes, the guy was a wealthy huckster. He was neither prescient nor a saint. His main goal was to take money out of your pocket and put it into the pockets on Wall Street.

"...the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps."

--Steve Jobs

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by lozpop View Post
Jobs talked about 7 inches tablets,

"...the 10-inch screen size is the minimum size required to create great tablet apps."

Yes, he was talking about 7 inch tablets, but he was talking about 8 inch tablets and 9 inch tablets too.

He claimed that a tablet like the iMini could not express great tablet apps. I guess Steve was just a fool, eh? Or maybe he was full of ****? Or a bald faced liar?

Or a typical money-grubbing corporate CEO type of guy? Dunno.

But he was not a saint. On that we can agree.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC03 View Post
Except that makes no sense.

I think it was to be expected that iPad mini sales will cannibilize full size iPad sales, so shifting towards iPad mini displays instead of 9.7" displays makes sense.

I just don't see the problem here.
Each time a mini cannibalizes a sale of the full-priced product, Apple loses potential profits. Thus, their total profits fall, all other factors being equal.

Lost profits are a big problem for organizations whose entire purpose is to generate the greatest possible profits.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
The price is right, the lighter weight is almost perfect, and there is still plenty of room on the screen such that it is easy to use.
Maybe, but it is undisputedly true that the iPad Mini cannot express great tablet apps. Or so claimed Steve Jobs.
iGrip is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:38 PM   #20
AidenShaw
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrip View Post
I guess Steve was just a fool, eh? Or maybe he was full of ****? Or a bald faced liar?
Like the bald-faced lie that the PowerMac G5 was the "first 64-bit desktop" - when it wasn't the first, and it couldn't run any 64-bit software.
AidenShaw is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:31 AM   #21
KdParker
macrumors 68020

Guess we will see what happens when the iPad mini have retina displays.

Looks like they might be more popular (largely based on price I would assume.)
KdParker is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:31 AM   #22
1080p
In Time-Out

Apple is DOOMED™
1080p is offline   24 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:41 AM   #23
simon.hibbs
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1080p View Post
Apple is DOOMED™

Apple.
Proudly going out of business since 1976.

Simon Hibbs
simon.hibbs is offline   28 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:43 AM   #24
needfx
macrumors 68020

the normal sized ipad team should start getting worried.
needfx is online now   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2013, 08:43 AM   #25
Navdakilla
macrumors 65816

Sound the alarms!!!!!

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion