Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rgarland1975

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
I have a 13" MacBook I purchased in February 2009. A few months ago I spilled water on the MacBook, and it died. I purchased a new MacBook Pro, and the Apple store advised me to remove the hard drive from my old MacBook and sell the case/keyboard/etc. (minus the hard drive) on Craigslist.

I know very little about computers, so excuse my ignorance, but will removing the hard drive prevent someone from seeing any information on the laptop? (That's assuming they could get it to turn on, which I cannot since the water incident.)

Also, what would be a good asking price? I think the guy at the Apple store said $150. Does that sound about right?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.

js81

macrumors 65816
Dec 31, 2008
KY
Yes and yes. :) Removing the HDD will take the info with it and I think $150-200 sounds about right.

Question: Since it was damaged, have you tried lately to see if it starts? Sometimes after time passes, we electronics start working again. Just a thought...

rgarland1975

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 20, 2013
Yes and yes. :) Removing the HDD will take the info with it and I think $150-200 sounds about right.

Question: Since it was damaged, have you tried lately to see if it starts? Sometimes after time passes, we electronics start working again. Just a thought...

Thanks! I have tried to start it again recently. At first it would turn on but not start up. Now it won't turn on at all.

macrumors 6502
Dec 15, 2010
This happened to me about two years ago, and I tore the HD out and put it up on ebay. I got about $225 for it. Personally, I'd go with ebay rather than craigslist since your potential customer base is so much bigger.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.