Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:55 PM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Apple Rumored to Debut 4.8-Inch 'iPhone Math' in June

According to new information from the China Times translated by BrightWire, Apple is planning to release the iPhone 5S alongside a larger phone, deemed the "iPhone Math" by the report.

Because the iPhone Math name is highly unusual and does not fit in with Apple's traditional naming scheme, it is not clear if it is a code name or a potential mistranslation, although the actual "iPhone Math" terms appears in English in the China Times report.

China Times says that the larger phone will come equipped with a 4.8-inch screen and an 8-megapixel camera. It is said that it will launch in June alongside an updated iPhone 5, which will also feature an 8-megapixel camera. An additional iPhone update is said to be coming during the holiday season, with a 12-megapixel camera.

Though the report contains detailed information on suppliers, manufacturers, and production times, it is difficult to believe that Apple will produce a bigger iPhone and that the company will release two iPhones in a six month time frame.
Quote:
The shipments for components, including touchscreens and cameras, will start rising significantly in March, and iPhone manufacturers will begin production in late April. Hence, Apple's suppliers will see major growth in 2Q 2013.

Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. Ltd. will undertake 90% of the manufacturing orders, and Largan has received orders for 8 million camera lenses. Fujikura, Flexium and*Zhen Ding will share production orders for printed circuit boards.

Foxconn Technology and Coxon will provide molding parts for Apple's new models;*Foxlink will continue to offer connectors; Hon Hai Precision's Microelectronics Technology will start designing 4G network solutions for Apple.
This is not the first rumor that has featured a larger iPhone.*Jefferies analyst Peter Misek first reported in December that Apple was working on an iPhone with a 4.8-inch display, but just last week noted that he has seen no further signs of the device. Digitimes also reported in early January that Apple was working on a bigger, more affordable iPhone that was targeted towards emerging markets, and analyst Brian White suggested that Apple might be considering launching its next iPhone in multiple sizes.

While rumors from the The*Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg support the introduction of an additional iPhone at a lower cost, the device is said to be smaller, not larger.

As we noted the first time the 4.8-inch iPhone rumors emerged, Apple has just increased the size of the iPhone with the iPhone 5, and may be reluctant to face the same resolution and pixel density obstacles attempting to create an even larger iPhone.

Article Link: Apple Rumored to Debut 4.8-Inch 'iPhone Math' in June
MacRumors is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:57 PM   #2
MacJones
macrumors 6502

Yes please!
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:58 PM   #3
lildimsum7
macrumors regular

looks like a desperate move
lildimsum7 is offline   70 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Menopause
macrumors 6502

Late to the party, Apple?
Menopause is offline   26 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:45 AM   #5
dugbug
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menopause View Post
The touch based smartphone party? The best selling smartphone party? Wtf is it with doomsayers
dugbug is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 06:46 AM   #6
bbplayer5
macrumors 68020

Ha... we made the phone 4 inches because its best for your hand...

Ya. No one bought that BS when you said it.
bbplayer5 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:43 AM   #7
ksgant
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
so...does that mean they should never ever ever do a larger screened iPhone since they're "late" in bringing one out?

I never understood this mentality. "Oh, Apple is going to do something that another manufacturer has been doing for years now! Way to go!". Does this mean, since Apple didn't think of it or do it 2 years ago then it's totally off limits to them? So, in 10 years they still have to be married to this 4" screen because...heaven forbid...they should make a bigger screen?

Some people want a bigger screen, some don't. Why not one for one, and one for the other? What is the big deal?

2011 16gig iPhone 4s
2012 16gig iPad "3rd Generation"
2012 27" iMac i5 w/16Gigs of RAM
ksgant is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 03:45 PM   #8
iGrip
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to iGrip Send a message via AIM to iGrip Send a message via MSN to iGrip Send a message via Yahoo to iGrip Send a message via Skype™ to iGrip
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgant View Post
so...does that mean they should never ever ever do a larger screened iPhone since they're "late" in bringing one out?
Of course not. Apple has been playing ketchup for a while now, and it would be in their best interests to continue to do so.

From what I have heard, the iPhone is yesterday's news to young people, and that is utterly destructive to the brand and to the profits in the long run. If Apple keeps copying Google and Samsung, they may well be able to regain their former market share. If Apple starts to innovate again, they may regain their former mind share. Time will tell.
iGrip is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:20 PM   #9
Bchagey
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Better late than never! This is one party I don't want Apple to miss
Bchagey is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:59 PM   #10
thaifood
macrumors 6502

hmmm...all these larger screen rumours come out just as I'm considering jumping ship to the new Xperia Z.

I'm pretty sure Apple have bugged my office and are monitoring my internets *tinfoil hat*
thaifood is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 10:59 PM   #11
zackkmac
macrumors 6502a

iPhone Math. Lol.
17" iMac G4 1.25GHz, 2GB RAM, 80GB HD
zackkmac is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:02 PM   #12
AppleHater
macrumors 6502

Whatever the name will be, Apple NEED an iPhone with bigger screen. Sure there are some people who would take small size over anything else, but there are plenty other people who found 3.5-4 inch screen too small.
AppleHater is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 08:26 AM   #13
Gasu E.
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by zackkmac View Post
iPhone Math. Lol.
Will be bought up in droves by Tiger Moms.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 07:08 AM   #14
xtacee1990
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post
hmmm...all these larger screen rumours come out just as I'm considering jumping ship to the new Xperia Z.

I'm pretty sure Apple have bugged my office and are monitoring my internets *tinfoil hat*
Pleas do it. The best way for people to appreciate what they have is to give them a try of something worse. If anything I learn about Sony is they make heavily compromised products for no reason. Earlier previewers have already complained about the crappy display and the small battery for a 5 inch HD phone.
xtacee1990 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:19 PM   #15
chris200x9
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaifood View Post

On a side note why do they cripple every phone?! C'mon no SDXC!
chris200x9 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:53 PM   #16
thaifood
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris200x9 View Post
On a side note why do they cripple every phone?! C'mon no SDXC!
I don't have any experience with Android. However, I've read that Sony are quite good with opening the boot loader for their skins of the OS. But, they tend to be a bit slow with keeping up to date with the latest Android version.

I certainly like the waterproof and dustproof feature. Would work well for my field work

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by xtacee1990 View Post
Pleas do it. The best way for people to appreciate what they have is to give them a try of something worse. If anything I learn about Sony is they make heavily compromised products for no reason. Earlier previewers have already complained about the crappy display and the small battery for a 5 inch HD phone.
The Xperia Z hardly appears heavily compromised at first look. Honestly, I'm not too fussed about the viewing angles for a phone, I'm certainly not going to be looking at it from a high angle. Nor do others ever really look on as I use a phone - so that is not really personally applicable.

The battery life is still out for a final verdict. Obviously, I'll reserve judgement on that pending the official reviews and thorough user tests (the iPhone 5 has just OK battery, IMO. It gets me by but I don't write home about it).
thaifood is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:03 PM   #17
ppdix
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by lildimsum7 View Post
Who cares as long as they release it!
iPhone Max or iPhone XL sound good
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:15 PM   #18
lildimsum7
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ppdix View Post
yeah, could be good news for many people, but you might as well buy the BB10 or an android device (unless you don't like to root and use a custom ROM. sIII is pretty slow without a custom ROM). my point is that Apple is a follower now rather than a leader. they seem to be playing catch-up now. hopefully they update the OS, because Android and the BB OS seem to be way more efficient with communications. iOS still doesn't have quick toggles or quick reply. the keyboard (and auto-correct) is way less sophisticated and less helpful than something like SwiftKey and the BB keyboard.
lildimsum7 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:23 PM   #19
ppdix
macrumors 6502

Quote:
yeah, could be good news for many people, but you might as well buy the BB10 or an android device (unless you don't like to root and use a custom ROM. sIII is pretty slow without a custom ROM). my point is that Apple is a follower now rather than a leader. they seem to be playing catch-up now. hopefully they update the OS, because Android and the BB OS seem to be way more efficient with communications. iOS still doesn't have quick toggles or quick reply. the keyboard (and auto-correct) is way less sophisticated and less helpful than something like SwiftKey and the BB keyboard.
The only way an iPhone beats android or BB10
Is jailbroken.
I am desperately waiting for the iPhone 5
Jailbreak! It improves everything 10-fold!
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:45 AM   #20
arbitter
macrumors member

Oh god not this again. What's everyones fascination with huge screens? Why cant a phone stay a phone, with a normal sized screen that fits in your pockets. Like the iPhone 4(s). If you want to do heavy stuff, do it on a tablet or pc.
I'm considering buying my first iPhone, the next release. But if the screen gets upped from the 5, and the width and length of the device largeness, I will have to reconsider.
Ofcourse if it would be one of two configurations, I guess it's a please all, except for the devs. And it'll be way harder to control the demand. However I really don't see Apple introducing two new phones in the same time.
arbitter is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:21 AM   #21
ScholarsInk
macrumors regular

I don't want a faster horse.
ScholarsInk is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:09 AM   #22
gingaman
macrumors member

Quote:

Hope they don't do the same to the iPad and call it the Maxipad
gingaman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 09:42 PM   #23
umbriell
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Right... who cares what this is called. Apple needs to compete in all the segments for their phone business. In terms of memory, speed, multitasking, and screen size. People wants choices. The iPhone has been regimented into a never ending series of minor speck bumps for way too long. This is a Jobsian albatross that Tim Cook would do well to cast off.

Bring multiple product tiers:

Low 4 inch 3G (8, 16, 32)
Mid 4 inch LTE (32, 64)
High 4.8 inch LTE (64, 128, 256)
umbriell is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:00 AM   #24
iwoolman
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Reminds me of this: http://tiny.cc/2jtarw
iwoolman is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2013, 11:09 PM   #25
spiderman0616
macrumors 65816

Quote:
It totally would be if it were true. Oh wait--it HAS to be true because China. Every random report from some dude in China is always taken as fact these days.
spiderman0616 is offline   2 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion