Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:39 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Burglar of Jobs Family's Home Sentenced to Seven Years in Prison

IDG News Service reports that Kariem McFarlin, the burglar who stole $60,000 worth of Apple products and other items from the home of Steve Jobs' family last July, has been sentenced to seven years in prison. McFarlin entered the home while it was undergoing renovation and stole two iMacs, three iPads, three iPods, an Apple TV, jewelry, and other items.
Quote:
REACT officers found McFarlin with help from Apple security, which tracked where the stolen devices were being used by matching their serial numbers with connections to Apple iTunes servers. The IP address in use matched a line in McFarlin's apartment in nearby Alameda that was also being used by an Apple device registered to a member of his family, according to a police report. [...]

McFarlin admitted to the burglary under questioning by Palo Alto police and said he had stolen from other homes in the San Francisco Bay Area, including two homes in Marin County, four homes in San Francisco County and one home in Alameda County.
Renovation work on the Jobs family home in July 2012 (Source: Forbes)
Immediately following the burglary, officials indicated that it appeared to be a random crime of opportunity due to the renovation going on at the house, with McFarlin having been unaware that he was targeting the home of Steve Jobs' family. At the time of his arrest, McFarlin still had a number of the stolen items in his possession, while others had been distributed to friends, including an iPad that made its way into the hands of a local clown.

Article Link: Burglar of Jobs Family's Home Sentenced to Seven Years in Prison
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:40 AM   #2
JXChain
Banned

Good, the idiot deserved it.
JXChain is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:41 AM   #3
Squilly
macrumors 68020

That's not even cool.... seven years is a lot of time for burglary.... but at least he was caught.
Squilly is offline   23 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:04 PM   #4
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipH View Post
wow, 7 years jail for that ? You'd have to murder someone in Belgium to get that much.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
That's not even cool.... seven years is a lot of time for burglary.... but at least he was caught.
WOW, are you two serious?? A crime is a crime is a crime and the criminal in question didn't do this by accident, nor was he just a victim of circumstance. This was intent. Be honest about it, if someone broke into your home and just took a box of cereal you'd call the feds on him and want the book thrown at him for life because your home was violated and your personal belongings were exposed.

Sadly your responses are most likely due to the fact it was the home of the Almighty independently wealthy Steve Jobs who was the CEO of one of the biggest companies world wide so you probably feel the criminal only deserves a slap on the hand.
HenryDJP is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 12:06 PM   #5
Daws001
macrumors regular

Wow. Seems like a more fair punishment would be 7 years of having to use a Windows Phone and Surface. If he's caught using an Apple product or glancing through an Apple Store window, he loses a finger.
Daws001 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:20 PM   #6
Azurael
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
WOW, are you two serious?? A crime is a crime is a crime and the criminal in question didn't do this by accident, nor was he just a victim of circumstance. This was intent. Be honest about it, if someone broke into your home and just took a box of cereal you'd call the feds on him and want the book thrown at him for life because your home was violated and your personal belongings were exposed.

Sadly your responses are most likely due to the fact it was the home of the Almighty independently wealthy Steve Jobs who was the CEO of one of the biggest companies world wide so you probably feel the criminal only deserves a slap on the hand.
Let's face it though. If it hadn't been such a high profile victim, I bet the bloke would have got away with a slap on the wrist. I don't think people are complaining about the sentence so much as the inequality of sentencing dependent upon the victim's fame and fortune.

Perhaps I'm wrong and things are taken a bit more seriously in the US but most of the time in the UK if a 'minor' theft is committed - even home invasion and it wasn't from somebody famous or a massive multinational, the police don't even bother to look into it. My dad's bag got nicked in a club a few months ago, and even though they had CCTV footage of the criminal's unobstructed face from his attempt to use a cash machine, they didn't have the resources to follow it up. So what the feck are we paying for in our taxes? Private security for multinationals and the rich and famous? A massive drugs 'war'? That's the issue.

Of course criminals should be locked up, but what's a criminal anyway? Somebody with a joint's worth of weed? A rapist? A murderer? Somebody who commits massive fraud and throws the whole world's economy into turmoil?
Azurael is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:49 PM   #7
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azurael View Post
Let's face it though. If it hadn't been such a high profile victim, I bet the bloke would have got away with a slap on the wrist.
I don't think so, it was grand theft. Stop making this out to be about Apple, Steve Jobs or anyone else high profile. The guy robbed multiple homes. Did you notice that none of the owners of the other homes were announced? Perhaps they weren't high profile??? The guy is not being sentenced to 7 years for burglarizing Jobs' home only. If you guys in the UK don't punish people very much for grand theft and multiple home robberies then your country is sadly misguided.

Quote:
Perhaps I'm wrong....
I wouldn't bet against it.

Quote:
most of the time in the UK if a 'minor' theft is committed - even home invasion and it wasn't from somebody famous or a massive multinational, the police don't even bother to look into it.
Once again, it wasn't minor, it was grand theft and as for what you say about the police in the UK not taking heed to a home invasion? I call BS on that. Am I correct that you are under age 20?

Last edited by HenryDJP; Jan 21, 2013 at 04:57 PM.
HenryDJP is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 12:56 PM   #8
PraisiX-windows
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
In other parts of the world, the legal systems are way more sophisticated, than to just give harsh sentences for criminal offenses - if it helped, maybe USA wouldn't still be as messed up as it is.
In Denmark we've got a popular expression with USA which roughly goes something like this "That would be like american conditions!" - it's used when something is absurdly primitive, you really are a laughing stock in other places.

It's irrational (not to say horrendously ineffective) to seek retributive justice, it's not the criminal's fault that he is the way he is, why should he suffer? - he's just as much a victim of circumstance as his own victims. Justice should be about protecting the people and correcting the offenders (not punishing them).

My mother was the victim of burglary, she hardly cared, and I don't think the victim got more than a fine either. There's a huge difference between burglary and armed private robbery, but even that should not be met with such a hard sentence unless we're talking repeated offenses.
PraisiX-windows is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:06 PM   #9
GermanyChris
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba satori View Post
apple should just buy the prison and waterboard him or make him listen to joke biden's speeches.
GOOG first though..
GermanyChris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 01:37 PM   #10
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by PraisiX-windows View Post
In other parts of the world, the legal systems are way more sophisticated, than to just give harsh sentences for criminal offenses - if it helped, maybe USA wouldn't still be as messed up as it is.
In Denmark we've got a popular expression with USA which roughly goes something like this "That would be like american conditions!" - it's used when something is absurdly primitive, you really are a laughing stock in other places.

It's irrational (not to say horrendously ineffective) to seek retributive justice, it's not the criminal's fault that he is the way he is, why should he suffer? - he's just as much a victim of circumstance as his own victims. Justice should be about protecting the people and correcting the offenders (not punishing them).

My mother was the victim of burglary, she hardly cared, and I don't think the victim got more than a fine either. There's a huge difference between burglary and armed private robbery, but even that should not be met with such a hard sentence unless we're talking repeated offenses.
You've gotta be kidding me and yourself. Maybe that nonsense comes from "Denmark Conditions" . And also, read the whole article next time rather than the headline.
HenryDJP is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 02:29 PM   #11
macquariumguy
macrumors 6502a

Send a message via AIM to macquariumguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by PraisiX-windows View Post
That's the most messed up thing I've read in a very long time.
macquariumguy is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:16 PM   #12
E.Lizardo
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squilly View Post
I guess you missed the part where he has a bigtime repeater.Knowing California he'll be out in 18 months committing more crimes.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastMinuteMike View Post
Holy **** that's a harsh sentence! Recently this guy shot a 17 year old girl in Sweden, and he was only sentenced to 2.8 years in jail.

I know it's to different penal-systems, but still, the punishment doesn't really seem fit for the crime...

If I didn't know better, I'd say it's because it was Steve Jobs house.
That's Sweden's problem!

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by saguaro970 View Post
Meanwhile on Wall Street...
And Congress...

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by diazj3 View Post
PTSD, really?!?! as in war PTSD?
Yes.The military does not have the copyright on it.I have a mild case due to some horribly botched surgery that turned my 4 day stay in the hospital into two months,including 5 weeks in a coma.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 04:21 PM   #13
blackburn
macrumors 6502a

Some countries like Portugal have the max sentence at 25 years, kill one get 17 years, kill many you can only get 25 tops.
I don't think that 7 years is much. After being robed you do change your perspective. That feeling of security? Gone.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:42 AM   #14
FilipH
macrumors member

wow, 7 years jail for that ? You'd have to murder someone in Belgium to get that much.
FilipH is offline   60 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:43 AM   #15
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

The person will end up on the worlds dumbest criminals. He really should have done his research on this one. lmao.
Old Jan 21, 2013, 01:48 PM   #16
AppleFan1984
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by STiNG Operation View Post
The person will end up on the worlds dumbest criminals. He really should have done his research on this one. lmao.
Why should the penalty differ based on the wealth or fame of the victim?
AppleFan1984 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 02:05 PM   #17
STiNG Operation
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFan1984 View Post
It really shouldn't, but as most people know that's not how it works in life...
Old Jan 21, 2013, 05:47 PM   #18
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleFan1984 View Post
Let's say you steal a car. You might steal the car of someone who needs it to get to work to feed his family, has no money to replace it, and gets into huge trouble. Or you might steal the car of someone who has three more cars in his garage, tons of money, and is not even inconvenienced. Same crime but one had much more impact on the victim. I'd think the one that had more impact on the victim would deserve a harsher punishment.
gnasher729 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:50 AM   #19
RoelJuun
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilipH View Post
Just about to say the same thing as I live in the Netherlands. And the worst thing is that it is no joke.
RoelJuun is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 10:55 AM   #20
JM-Prod
macrumors member

Wow...

Armed robbery and shoot a police man, and you get about 7 years in Norway. A bit on the short side if you ask me, but on the other hand.

7 years for stealing a few consumer items... that's pretty insane.
JM-Prod is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:03 AM   #21
gnagy
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by JM-Prod View Post
Armed robbery and shoot a police man, and you get about 7 years in Norway. A bit on the short side if you ask me, but on the other hand.

I wouldn't want my consumer products stolen, and a 7 year sentence sends the right message to other criminals. I think the punishment is about right.
gnagy is offline   13 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:08 AM   #22
lukarak
macrumors regular

In Croatia:

2 people dead in a car accident (they weren't wearing seat belts), 11 months.
4 people dead in a car-truck collision, typing on the cellphone, destroying evidence, 8 years.
Execution, bullet to the back of the head, 4.5 years.
Possession of marijuana, for personal use, enough for 3-4 joints, 2.5 years.
Obduction, rape and murder, one victim, 40 years.

Things are not always proportional. But repeated offenders should get the biggest sentences.
lukarak is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:12 AM   #23
Kwill
macrumors 68000

Quote:

The US penal system may be a bit odd in comparison to other parts of the world. Though he is sentenced to 7 years, he may actually only serve about 4 before being released on good behavior. The only way he gets longer if he brawls, stabs another inmate, sells contraband or steals a warden's iPad while in prison.

It is quite unfortunate that he did not steal because he was destitute. He was just opportunistic. He and the other clown were found playing with the devices.

I wonder if we all can receive integrated police and iTunes tracking service in the event of theft. The article made it sound like sophisticated surveillance. Is this just Find My Mac (Phone)?

@ClinicalPosters
Kwill is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:15 AM   #24
See Flat
macrumors member

Quote:

The article seems to imply that he got seven years for the Jobs home burglary.
The sentence is for all the burglaries he admitted too. So if yo want to dice and slice... he might have gotten 1 year for the jobs burglary, would probably be out in 3 months for good behaviour.

Does that sound less cruel and biassed to you?
See Flat is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 21, 2013, 11:17 AM   #25
WestonHarvey1
macrumors 68000

Quote:

I assume you've never been the victim of a home invasion. It changes your life. It can trigger Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. It's a total violation of your liberty and security. It's not the loss of some consumer items. You'll give a rats ass about that when it happens to you.
WestonHarvey1 is offline   9 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion