Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking

Old Jan 22, 2013, 05:17 PM   #1
Baklava
macrumors 6502a

Xserve RAID and other Mass-Storage Devices

Hello all,

simple question: is it still worth to buy a Xserve RAID? Or should I go with another device for mass-storage?

I currently have no plan how they work but somewhen I will have to think about a mass-storage device. Tired of using so many external HDs. :/

Thanks for any advises in advance!
MacRumors 'iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Models Popping Up in China [...]' - BornAgainMac 'This is what that Chinese chick was trying to say during the keynote. That it was going to be released early in China.'
Baklava is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2013, 10:27 PM   #2
phoenixsan
macrumors 65816

I think.....

good old techno.....Last time I remember, the Xserve RAID had a 7.0 TB maximum capacity. If you can find one with a good price, maybe that suits you. But, still, it is hard to see to me how to get more from an aging tech, lets say, 3-5 years in a working enviroment.

Promise makes very good tech, but is Thunderbolt based, so I guess, the route you can choose must be based in what you have right now....

Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:07 PM   #3
Baklava
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenixsan View Post
But, still, it is hard to see to me how to get more from an aging tech, lets say, 3-5 years in a working enviroment.
I actually just want to have ONE place for mass storage, that's it. Thunderbolt is too expensive right now and I don't think of upgrading my system anytime soon to get Thunderbolt ports. I have a Mac Pro btw.
MacRumors 'iPhone 6 and 6 Plus Models Popping Up in China [...]' - BornAgainMac 'This is what that Chinese chick was trying to say during the keynote. That it was going to be released early in China.'
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:59 PM   #4
Silencio
macrumors 68000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diwali View Post
I actually just want to have ONE place for mass storage, that's it. Thunderbolt is too expensive right now and I don't think of upgrading my system anytime soon to get Thunderbolt ports. I have a Mac Pro btw.
To use an Xserve RAID with your Mac Pro, you'll also need to buy a Fiber Channel PCIe card.

Unless you plan on upgrading to a more modern Fiber Channel-based RAID in the near future, it's really not worth it IMO.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:00 PM   #5
blueroom
macrumors 603

Mass storage, get a NAS. Synology makes something for nearly every need.
blueroom is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Baklava
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencio View Post
it's really not worth it IMO.
I did a long research and agree with that. Xserve RAID is limited to very old tech. They just support IDE HDs up to 750 GB... Not very clever invest for the future. :/ With tweaks and mods you can somehow get 2.5" SATA or even SSD drives in there but that's pain & too much money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueroom View Post
Mass storage, get a NAS. Synology makes something for nearly every need.
Yep... Currently checking for alternatives. They are not as sexy as Apples gadget but I can live with that.

MacRumors Forums > Apple Systems and Services > OS X > Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking