Go Back   MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics

Old Jan 23, 2013, 08:15 AM   #1
mcsolas
macrumors regular

CS3 from Windows to a Mac?

I have a CS3 license that I use to do some simple graphics editing with.

I just moved to a mac. I logged into adobe to try and download the apps and saw that it looks like my license is windows only. I had spoken with Adobe support a month ago and they said it could be done. Also thinking about ditching this suite altogether. I am not happy to be tied to such expensive software when really I just want to upgrade DW, PS and AI and I am looking at over $1000 to do so. I am considering it though. Just trying to see if there is any options. I would prefer just to use the license I have, but not sure how easy that will be.
mcsolas is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:29 AM   #2
CrickettGrrrl
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcsolas View Post
I have a CS3 license that I use to do some simple graphics editing with.

I just moved to a mac. I logged into adobe to try and download the apps and saw that it looks like my license is windows only. I had spoken with Adobe support a month ago and they said it could be done. Also thinking about ditching this suite altogether. I am not happy to be tied to such expensive software when really I just want to upgrade DW, PS and AI and I am looking at over $1000 to do so. I am considering it though. Just trying to see if there is any options. I would prefer just to use the license I have, but not sure how easy that will be.
It's called a cross platform license transfer and yes, Adobe customer service should be able to help you with that, for free. I did a search and the top hits are from a few years ago, unfortunately, although I remember reading about this on MR fairly recently. Adobe used to charge a nominal fee for disks, but that's not an issue now.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=563862
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen shot 2013-01-23 at 10.27.45 AM.JPG
Views:	30
Size:	58.2 KB
ID:	392083  
CrickettGrrrl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 10:38 AM   #3
mcsolas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrickettGrrrl View Post
It's called a cross platform license transfer and yes, Adobe customer service should be able to help you with that, for free. I did a search and the top hits are from a few years ago, unfortunately, although I remember reading about this on MR fairly recently. Adobe used to charge a nominal fee for disks, but that's not an issue now.
Thanks! Your post just made my day! Now I know what to ask for when I call support.

edit: I just was on chat & asked to perform this transfer. The support rep. said that it can only be done for the Current Shipping Version of the software. In other words, they said because its a cs3 license, no.

Does anyone run cs3 via Winebottler or VirtualBox?

Last edited by mcsolas; Jan 23, 2013 at 07:25 PM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:06 AM   #4
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Thanks! Your post just made my day! Now I know what to ask for when I call support.

edit: I just was on chat & asked to perform this transfer. The support rep. said that it can only be done for the Current Shipping Version of the software. In other words, they said because its a cs3 license, no.

Does anyone run cs3 via Winebottler or VirtualBox?
You may also want to post this question on another forum board. In general, to run something on VirtualBox (or Parallels, or VMWare), you need to install the Windows OS via the install disk. For running some software, you may be better off installing a BootCamp partition on your drive, to run the software.

Wine (as in, Wine is not an emulator) doesn't emulate Windows...it simply runs the API's inside the MacOS (or inside Linux). It can be both an art and a science to getting something to run. Unless you like experimenting, you may be better off with an official emulator or Bootcamp.
blesscheese is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:12 AM   #5
mcsolas
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by blesscheese View Post
You may also want to post this question on another forum board. In general, to run something on VirtualBox (or Parallels, or VMWare), you need to install the Windows OS via the install disk. For running some software, you may be better off installing a BootCamp partition on your drive, to run the software.

Wine (as in, Wine is not an emulator) doesn't emulate Windows...it simply runs the API's inside the MacOS (or inside Linux). It can be both an art and a science to getting something to run. Unless you like experimenting, you may be better off with an official emulator or Bootcamp.
I think I have a few threads open relating to similar matters. With VirtualBox, yes I have windowsxp pro running, it just couldnt see the Mac's file system. I have been all over the place as I try and find my footing on my new mac. Not having Beyond Compare is just bugging me right now but all I can do is keep looking for an alternative or rely on dreamweaver's built in ftp for now, I used to use it during the UltraDev days.

I installed the cs6 trial yesterday. Definitely bummed that I cant move cs3 over for the time being while I get settled in to this new operating system. I was considering an upgrade, but I just wanted to defer that for a few more months. Also I really didnt want to change all the GUI's at once. Leaving a little familiarity for a while was going to allow me to focus on OSX, but now I am relearning CS6 and that basically while still having to do my work. Its ok.. I guess in the long run its going to speed the process along. Its just going to be a busy couple of days...

Last edited by mcsolas; Jan 25, 2013 at 11:18 AM.
Old Jan 25, 2013, 01:19 PM   #6
blesscheese
macrumors 6502

Quote:
With VirtualBox, yes I have windowsxp pro running, it just couldnt see the Mac's file system...
Quickly...I'm a little puzzled...After you install WinXP and have it up and running in VirtualBox, you next want to install your Windows CS3 program *inside* the XP virtual machine you are running in VirtualBox.

So, you won't be running it on the Mac side, you will be running it on the Windows side, inside VirtualBox...
blesscheese is offline   1 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > Special Interests > Visual Media > Design and Graphics