Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
Hey there. When I bought my Macbook Pro Retina 15", I tried it with my USB 2.0 audio interface (Presonus 22VSL). It worked so good, I got rid of my dedicated PC. However, since using it more, I'm noticing drops in audio and overall USB issues with this device. I may return the interface and try out a new one, but before I do, I wanted to see if anyone has any recommendations for troubleshooting the USB on this thing. I've read some articles that mention killing "KBDMGR.EXE" which was reported to cause dropouts, but these are old articles: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/614302/

I'm just curious if anyone has anything I can try. I'm sorta desperate at this point since I really banked on this (a potential foolish thing to have done). I've already set the laptop to max performance, disabled sleeping USB, all drivers are up to date from what I can tell. I did do a USB latency test (provided via Presonus' website), and I notice occasional spikes in latency about a minute apart.

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears.

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
In my experience, DPC (I'm assuming your referring to that) spikes every minute are the WiFi driver searching for access points.

Try disabling your Wireless Adapter while recording - http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows-vista/Enable-or-disable-a-network-adapter

I will definitely try that. Thank you! I have another somewhat related question. If I decide to try a different interface, and want to go the firewire route via thunderbolt adapter, will I be potentially subjecting myself to similar spikes?

noiseordinance

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 12, 2012
For the firewire idea, I was more thinking that maybe it's on a different IRQ or something. I've also read that USB sends data via packets whereas firewire is a constant stream, or something of that nature. Apparently people report better throughput and lower latency on firewire. I'll try the disabled wireless first (and maybe Bootcamp.exe just for giggles). Thanks!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.