Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:08 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

TwelveSouth Releases PlugBug World for International Charging

Just over a year after TwelveSouth released its PlugBug Mac and iDevice charger, it has gone international. The new PlugBug World is the same as the original, but includes five swappable prong adapters for use in the UK, Continental Europe, Australia, New Zealand, North America, Hong Kong, Singapore, China, Japan and a number of other countries.

Quote:
PlugBug World is an international version of the popular Twelve South PlugBug. PlugBug World brings the dual charging convenience of PlugBug to Mac users everywhere. PlugBug uses the clever trick of attaching to any Apple MacBook Power Adapter by replacing its attached plug or extended power cord. When snapped into place, PlugBug not only allows for worldwide charging of MacBook, but also provides a separate 2.1-Amp USB charger for iPad/iPhone. Once attached, simply select your local plug, or use your extended cable, to power both your MacBook and iPad or iPhone from a single outlet. This powerful accessory is a lifesaver in locations where finding multiple wall outlets can be a challenge, and where charging your MacBook and iPad quickly is mission-critical to your next meeting or presentation.
The PlugBug World is available at TwelveSouth.com for $44.99 / 39.99 / 44,99 EUR.

Article Link: TwelveSouth Releases PlugBug World for International Charging
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:23 AM   #2
ncollingridge
macrumors newbie

UK adaptor too BIG!

Why in the world does the UK adapter need to be so BIG! The Apple one is a fraction of the size and does the exact same job.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	UK-Plug-Adaptor.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	117.2 KB
ID:	392098  
ncollingridge is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:28 AM   #3
jdogg836
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncollingridge View Post
Why in the world does the UK adapter need to be so BIG! The Apple one is a fraction of the size and does the exact same job.
Are you referring to the plugbug? It adds a usb to charge the ipad or other idevice simultaneously.

Last edited by maflynn; Jan 23, 2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: removed deleted post from quote
jdogg836 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:54 AM   #4
Davmeister
macrumors 6502

Quote:
It isn't that big anymore, they shrunk it down a few years back, but yeh it used to be ridiculous. It's a LOT thinner now, especially on the rMBP Magsafe 2 extension cord and airport express wall plugs (before it became apple tv like).
Old Jan 23, 2013, 04:47 PM   #5
needfx
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Agreed.

On the other hand, what is it with that vibrant red. You can be seen charging from 2 zip codes away.
needfx is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:03 PM   #6
ovrlrd
macrumors 65816

The question people should be asking is: Can you now plug a PlugBug into another PlugBug that is plugged into a power adapter? Or how about a chain of them?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:35 PM   #7
croooow
macrumors 6502a

I think some people do not understand this product:

power for your MacBook + 10W USB using one power outlet...
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:40 PM   #8
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by croooow View Post

Agreed.

Now comes the question.. For someone who purchased the original PlugBug, could they replace their unopened original box for this one, and pay the difference.

BL.
bradl is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:53 PM   #9
croooow
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradl View Post
...Now comes the question.. For someone who purchased the original PlugBug, could they replace their unopened original box for this one, and pay the difference.
That becomes a question of store return/exchange policy. If it is unopened, I do not see why you could not exchange it and pay the difference, why would the store not want a little bit more cash?
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:57 PM   #10
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
That becomes a question of store return/exchange policy. If it is unopened, I do not see why you could not exchange it and pay the difference, why would the store not want a little bit more cash?
Good question..

Also, interestingly enough, this may explain the disappearance of the PlugBug from most of the Apple retail Stores (at least the ones in my area: none were available at the stores in Sacramento, Roseville, or Reno). I wonder if they may just 'reappear' again...

Anyone notice similar at your local Apple Store?

BL.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:46 PM   #11
A Hebrew
macrumors 6502a

Quote:

That picture makes way more sense than the one in the article. Thanks!
Old Jan 23, 2013, 02:41 PM   #12
NewbieCanada
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlrd View Post
The question people should be asking is: Can you now plug a PlugBug into another PlugBug that is plugged into a power adapter? Or how about a chain of them?
That will be a feature on Apple and Intel's forthcoming ThunderBug adapter.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:43 PM   #13
macingman
macrumors 68020

This is awesome. Going to save bringing 1 charger when traveling and one power point at home
macingman is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:42 AM   #14
VAvW
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacRumors View Post
The PlugBug World is available at TwelveSouth.com for $44.99 / 39.99 / 44,99 EUR.
+$25, or even $30 to ship this bite sized gadget. http://twelvesouth.com/shipping-returns/
#fail
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:24 AM   #15
tgara
macrumors regular

I bought the original Plugbug a few months ago. I like it so much that I gave a couple as holiday gifts to my brother and my wife. I no longer need to carry my iPad or iPhone charger when I travel with my MBA laptop.

I may pick up this new international model and sell my US/Canada model. My only complaint about this device is the red color. I wish it was white instead to match the OEM Apple charger.
tgara is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:49 PM   #16
pika2000
macrumors 6502a

Pretty nice concept. I wish they sell the adapters for each country individually. I mean why I should pay for the ones I may not need?
Old Jan 24, 2013, 01:48 PM   #17
Mactastic21
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAvW View Post
+$25, or even $30 to ship this bite sized gadget. http://twelvesouth.com/shipping-returns/
#fail
According to the company's FB page "it will be available in Apple Stores worldwide next month." So maybe not so much a fail as a delay?

I've got the original and I'm getting one of these and giving my original away.
Mactastic21 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 03:54 PM   #18
coolspot18
macrumors 6502a

Why not just carry a converter? At least that will work with all your devices?

A convert is only a $1.00 or so.
coolspot18 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:42 PM   #19
bradl
macrumors 68030

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolspot18 View Post
Why not just carry a converter? At least that will work with all your devices?

A convert is only a $1.00 or so.
Because that would mean that you would need a separate converter for a separate charger for your Mac, and a separate converter for a separate charger for your iPhone/iPad, as well as charge cords for both.

So you'd be looking at 6 different accessories for 2 devices alone, when that could be consolidated down to 4 (charger for the Mac, PlugBug, Int'l Adapter, charge cord for your iPhone/iPad). Much less to carry around.

BL.
Old Mar 12, 2013, 08:38 AM   #20
Coxy
macrumors newbie

Has anyone plugged a PlugBug into an iPad charger to create a dual USB charger? Just wondering if it works and how it looks.

Useful for those that have 2 iPads or an iPhone and iPad etc
Coxy is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 11:20 AM   #21
Davmeister
macrumors 6502

I have to say I do like the solidity and design of our (British) 3 prong plug compared to others...even if it does stick out a bit
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:07 PM   #22
parish
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davmeister View Post
I have to say I do like the solidity and design of our (British) 3 prong plug compared to others...even if it does stick out a bit
Personally I find our 3-pin plug a PITA. Aside from them always falling prongs up so you stand on them (probably the most painful thing you'll ever stand on) the earth pin is largely redundant nowadays as nearly everything is double-insulated so its only function is to open the gates on the line and neutral sockets.

I like the European design where the earth connector, if required, is on the edge of the plug.

As for PlugBug, it's a great idea but why can't you buy the individual plug separately? I don't reckon I'd ever need any more than the UK and EU ones so the other three would be a waste of money.
Old Jan 23, 2013, 12:11 PM   #23
nawazsumar
macrumors newbie

Do they sell this without the plugs at all. Surely you have your own plug bit from your power adaptor you want to add this too. Sure its white but its the same?
nawazsumar is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 03:31 PM   #24
topmike
macrumors member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parish View Post
Personally I find our 3-pin plug a PITA. Aside from them always falling prongs up so you stand on them (probably the most painful thing you'll ever stand on) the earth pin is largely redundant nowadays as nearly everything is double-insulated so its only function is to open the gates on the line and neutral sockets.

I like the European design where the earth connector, if required, is on the edge of the plug.

As for PlugBug, it's a great idea but why can't you buy the individual plug separately? I don't reckon I'd ever need any more than the UK and EU ones so the other three would be a waste of money.
Well, now that you asked.....

The UK 13 amp square pin plug is used in a number of other countries, such as Ireland, Malta, Singapore and even the Middle East, however, it was designed for a specific purpose for the large British post-war domestic building programme. The plug has an integrated fuse, which replaced the necessity to have a whole house fuse box. :-)
topmike is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23, 2013, 01:40 PM   #25
Mikey7c8
macrumors regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davmeister View Post
Gah, it's way too massive IMHO. Such a pain whenever I'm in london or singapore. :P

The Euro plug is almost my preference, the US one would be except in some situations it has a super annoying tendency to fall out due to the weight of the charger - haven't had this happen with the euro one and it fits both ways. Win

The Au one only goes one way.. and therefore you miss out on being able to plug in in certain spots.

I got the original reason btw, not sure i'd use it but then I don't use an iPad. I get the use-case though
Mikey7c8 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion