Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:41 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Massive Growth in Apple's Cloud-Based Services Eclipsed by Debate on Financials

While talk of flatline growth dominated media responses to Apple's financial results yesterday, the massive growth of Apple's cloud-based services appeared to go largely unnoticed.

In 2012, reports iPodNN, the number of iCloud users grew from 85 million to over 250 million. iTunes subscribers have topped 500 million, generating a record $2.1 billion profit for the quarter.

iMessage has also proven to be a hugely popular service, with users sending over two billion messages a day from over 500 million devices, with the total iMessage count now having surpassed 450 billion. Apple CEO Tim Cook addressed the focus on online and web services during yesterday's conference call:
Quote:
In terms of other services, we feel fantastic about how we're doing. In Notification Center, we've now sent over 4 trillion notifications, and this is mind-blowing. As Peter mentioned in his opening comment, for iMessage we've now sent over 450 billion and are currently sending those over 2 billion per day. With Game Center, we've got over 200 million registered users. We have 800,000 apps on the App Store with over 40 billion downloads. And so I feel really, really great about it. There is obviously more stuff we can do and you can bet we're thinking about all of it.
Cook has repeatedly referred to iCloud as a "strategy for the next decade" for Apple. He has also characterized the increasing reliance and trust consumers place on cloud-based storage and services as "truly profound" and "a fundamental shift" in the way content is accessed.

Article Link: Massive Growth in Apple's Cloud-Based Services Eclipsed by Debate on Financials
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:44 AM   #2
alent1234
macrumors 603

and yet i can't recover sent messages from icloud
alent1234 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:46 AM   #3
JaySoul
macrumors 65816

iClouded, your future is, young padawan.
JaySoul is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:47 AM   #4
adamfilip
macrumors 6502a

cloud

lets just be able to save files directly to it please..

also let us use other email addresses with iCloud mail sync
and not just @icloud ones
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:59 AM   #5
newyorksole
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post

What do you mean? How would Apple sync mail that isn't their own? You can set up your mail accounts on any Apple device. They just aren't a part of iCloud.
newyorksole is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:17 AM   #6
adamfilip
macrumors 6502a

Not sure how they would do it exactly

I just wish in apple mail it would sync my inbox and outbox between all my Macs and iPad, for my work and icloud email addresses

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyorksole View Post
What do you mean? How would Apple sync mail that isn't their own? You can set up your mail accounts on any Apple device. They just aren't a part of iCloud.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:17 AM   #7
charlituna
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamfilip View Post

The folks running those other emails are who you need to gripe at, not Apple.
charlituna is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:48 AM   #8
ouimetnick
macrumors 68020

Send a message via AIM to ouimetnick Send a message via Yahoo to ouimetnick Send a message via Skype™ to ouimetnick
Fix all the bugs in iCloud. It is so unreliable. Sometimes delayed mail, and the bookmarks and favorites don't always show in Safari (on my iPhone) iTunes Match screwed up the order in my smart playlists. No web hosting or iDisk like in Mobile Me.

How hard is it? Google can do it, so can DropBox and all the other cloud services.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:49 AM   #9
Meandmunch
macrumors 6502

Only 2 Billion iMessages a day? That equates to a single high school full of teenagers. I think they should look at those numbers again.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:50 AM   #10
madmin
macrumors member

Ride my own Cloud

I'd like to be able to Bind to iCloud in a similar way to Binding to Open or Active Directory. People and companies should be able to Bind to their own Cloud service rather than just Apple's iCloud.
madmin is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:53 AM   #11
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandmunch View Post
Only 2 Billion iMessages a day? That equates to a single high school full of teenagers. I think they should look at those numbers again.
You think a school full of kids send over 2 billion iMessages

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 05:03 PM   #12
mrsir2009
macrumors 604

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meandmunch View Post
...Not to mention those "group chats" that you can't opt out of, so you have to either turn iMessage off or put up with people spamming the chatbox with "NI**ERZ" over and over and over...
mrsir2009 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:15 PM   #13
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouimetnick View Post
Fix all the bugs in iCloud. It is so unreliable. Sometimes delayed mail, and the bookmarks and favorites don't always show in Safari (on my iPhone) iTunes Match screwed up the order in my smart playlists. No web hosting or iDisk like in Mobile Me.

How hard is it? Google can do it, so can DropBox and all the other cloud services.
I don't think it's the difficulty; after all, they offered a disk in the cloud with iTools over a decade ago. Rather, it's a philosophical shift on Apple's part; a desire to move away from traditional file systems based on the fact that the learning curve for computers tends to steepen dramatically when people encounter the file system. That's why Apple's been tinkering with app based file systems and rejiggered the way Mac apps handles files ("duplicate" instead of "save as" for example). I don't think they're there yet, but I like the fact that they're working on it... hopefully, they'll succeed.
Karma*Police is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:49 AM   #14
bushido
macrumors 603

its okay so far but it needs a real data storage option.

also iMessage needs some improvements, its taking FOREVER to send a picture or it claims its sent but didnt actually arrive or the other way around.
i also still have the "bug" on ML where it shows the #1 indicator but i actually read all the messages and it doesnt go away unless i reboot. sometimes messages i read on my iPhone or iPad suddenly pop up in the middle of the convo on my mac days later

and dont even get me started on the iTunes Match or should i call it iTunes Mess
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:02 AM   #15
jayducharme
macrumors 68020

Quote:
Originally Posted by bushido View Post
and dont even get me started on the iTunes Match or should i call it iTunes Mess
This is the biggest disappointment for me. Match has the most potential for Apple, IMO, providing convenience and quality at a bargain price. Unfortunately it truly is a mess right now. If it's fixed, it could be huge.
jayducharme is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:07 AM   #16
ifij775
macrumors regular

yea, iCloud has real potential, but it makes me want to say "show me the money".
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:40 AM   #17
gnasher729
macrumors G5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayducharme View Post
This is the biggest disappointment for me. Match has the most potential for Apple, IMO, providing convenience and quality at a bargain price. Unfortunately it truly is a mess right now. If it's fixed, it could be huge.
Works fine for me. Over 20,000 songs on iPhone, iPad, computer in my study, computer at work. It even matched songs that I recorded myself from LPs.
gnasher729 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:47 AM   #18
Sandstorm
macrumors 6502

A few of my wishes/thoughts about Apple cloud services:

1. Apple could & should enable full i-device backups to iCloud with no size limits and for free. Right now the limit and the hassle of purchasing (especially when you have several devices) is simply not "it just works". Users should not think about it at all, if you buy Apple product, everything is safely and automatically backed up in tjhe cloud. No managing.

2. We need place for files. I think Apple is wrong with their "no visible file system at all" philosophy. At least let it be enabled for "advanced" users. Until then Dropbox is solution, but it's not 100% what is truly needed.

3. I don't like how the Photostream currently works. I want it to be fully automatic, fully sychronised with iPhoto/Aperture (also events, folders and so on) with possibilty to "stream" photos form Mac. AND - why the hell videos are still not synchronised?
Sandstorm is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:51 AM   #19
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
and yet i can't recover sent messages from icloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaySoul View Post
iClouded, your future is, young padawan.
first 2 posts are negative ones. What a surprise .

Always keep the rhythm in your feet and a little party in your shoulders. - Phil Dunphy
MonkeySee.... is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:36 AM   #20
alent1234
macrumors 603

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeySee.... View Post
first 2 posts are negative ones. What a surprise .

i have used iCloud since day 1. Dropbox still does a lot of things better than icloud.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDaddyx2 View Post
Give us a Windows client for iCloud so we can drop files into it like Dropbox. That would help a bit with companies invested in iOS who are using Dropbox right now.
you go to icloud.com and you can kind of do that. i upload MS Word files into it, then open the file in pages on my phone or ipad
alent1234 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:48 AM   #21
MonkeySee....
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by alent1234 View Post
i have used iCloud since day 1. Dropbox still does a lot of things better than icloud.

----------

you go to icloud.com and you can kind of do that. i upload MS Word files into it, then open the file in pages on my phone or ipad
I'm not sure you understand the extent of iCloud?

----------

sorry for missing teh sarcasm by the way guys. Its been a long day

MonkeySee.... is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:48 AM   #22
rcappo
macrumors regular

My Mom is on iCloud and it is working great to keep the iPad and iPhone sync'd without a Mac.

I am not on iCloud yet, I hope to be this weekend. For it is embarrassing that my Mom is more high tech than me.
rcappo is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:22 PM   #23
Razeus
macrumors 68040

And yet iCloud is the most convoluted of the bunch. other than backing up my iPhone data, iCloud is useless. Dropbox is a much better solution and I can access ANY document I put there on any device, any computer - WITH EASE.
Razeus is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:48 PM   #24
Karma*Police
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
And yet iCloud is the most convoluted of the bunch. other than backing up my iPhone data, iCloud is useless. Dropbox is a much better solution and I can access ANY document I put there on any device, any computer - WITH EASE.
It could seem convoluted to you because you've grown accustomed to the traditional file system and have been managing your files that way for years. For people like my parents, accessing files from within the app is far simpler and more intuitive. My mom accesses her Pages files from her iPad and iPhone and the docs are always in sync.
Karma*Police is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 12:58 PM   #25
fredf
macrumors 6502

If iCloud is the future, then why isn't Apple investing some time and resources to improve it?

I keep saying, it's software not hardware that is the near term future. And Apple hasn't put nearly the resources necessary into software development on the iOS side.
fredf is offline   0 Reply With Quote

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion