Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion

Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:04 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot

Tim Cook Congratulates Apple Employees on Record Quarter, Announces Town Hall Meeting Today

Following yesterday's record-breaking earnings numbers for the first fiscal quarter of 2013 that still fell short of analyst expectations, Apple CEO Tim Cook has sent out an email to employees (via 9to5Mac) congratulating them on the performance and announcing an employees-only town hall meeting scheduled for today.
Quote:
Team,

We've just reported another record setting quarter, thanks to everyone's incredible hard work and focus. We sold over 75 million iOS devices in the holiday quarter alone, which is a testament to the strength of Apple's innovation. Please join me for an employee communications meeting tomorrow at 10 a.m. Pacific time in the auditorium of De Anza 3. We've created a space on AppleWeb where you can submit your questions in advance, and we'll do our best to answer as many of them as we can during the meeting. The meeting will be broadcast live throughout Cupertino and at many other Apple locations. Please check AppleWeb for details.

Tim
Apple has held similar meetings in the past, with discussion at last year's meeting reportedly focusing on the company's philanthropy and also including an announcement of a new hardware discount program for company employees.

Article Link: Tim Cook Congratulates Apple Employees on Record Quarter, Announces Town Hall Meeting Today
MacRumors is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:06 AM   #2
Jacquesvw
macrumors regular

If I can get $1 for every time they use the word innovation I will be richer than Apple.

Every time an Apple employee opens his or her mouth they just have to force the word innovation in there somewhere...
Jacquesvw is offline   14 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Shadowpig
macrumors newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacquesvw View Post
If I can get $1 for every time they use the word innovation I will be richer than Apple.

Every time an Apple employee opens his or her mouth they just have to force the word innovation in there somewhere...
Try being in education. The word innovation is used constantly, even as stupid as it seems in people titles.
Shadowpig is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 06:12 PM   #4
1Alec1
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowpig View Post
Try being in education. The word innovation is used constantly, even as stupid as it seems in people titles.
I just don't want the Chinese to get a hold of these terms. Anything from a Chinese seller is already always "new", "luxury", "deluxe", and "super". Soon, you might see an iPhone case on eBay that's "innovative, green, smart, and innovative."

----------

Can't they get a better picture or at least use different ones?

"CONGRATS, GUYS!"
1Alec1 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:57 AM   #5
MitchelS
macrumors newbie

Quote:

That's because what Apple is selling is innovation. And unfortunately they haven't been innovating lately. Hence, the fall in the stock price. Without the next "New Thing", Apple is just producing commodities- electronic knicknacks.
Now everybody is selling smart phones. Apple needs a new idea

----------

Quote:

That's because what Apple is selling is innovation. And unfortunately they haven't been innovating lately. Hence, the fall in the stock price. Without the next "New Thing", Apple is just producing commodities- electronic knicknacks.
Now everybody is selling smart phones. Apple needs a new idea
MitchelS is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:10 AM   #6
sulpfiction
macrumors 68030

Congrats guys! We're rich.
sulpfiction is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:12 AM   #7
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

BTW "Tim Cook" is the modern day name for "Nero."
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:27 AM   #8
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by iAco View Post
They had a winning quarter-over-quarter for a while now. How come the congratulations comes now? Oh snap! It's because Apple's stock is heading south and it will be the last stunning quarter from Apple for a while.

What a way to juice your employees.

Too bad in the end Google will dominate the world with marketshare and data and services that are just a little more useful then hardware build by folks with OCD. But don't get me wrong, I love the shiny toys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chupa Chupa View Post
That sounds a bit extreme. Apple's went through down periods when Steve Jobs was CEO. The timing is right for a town hall. They just wrapped up their busiest selling period of the year, and if history is a guide, they won't have any significant new product announcements until next quarter.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rogifan View Post
Isn't share buy back basically saying they don't know what to do with their cash?
They have more cash and short term investments on hand than Google and Microsoft combined. If they don't have a big acquisition planned, then distributing some of it to its owners makes sense. Shareholders often prefer buybacks to dividends because taxes are lower on capital gains than dividends.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:27 AM   #9
saturn88
macrumors 6502

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post
That sounds a bit extreme. Apple's went through down periods when Steve Jobs was CEO. The timing is right for a town hall. They just wrapped up their busiest selling period of the year, and if history is a guide, they won't have any significant new product announcements until next quarter.
If history is a guide, they won't have any significant new product announcements until next YEAR. I mean, all we suppose to get this year is the iPhone 5s refresh and may be iPad refresh. That is not significant to me and apparently to the stock market.
saturn88 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:34 AM   #10
Rogifan
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn88 View Post
If history is a guide, they won't have any significant new product announcements until next YEAR. I mean, all we suppose to get this year is the iPhone 5s refresh and may be iPad refresh. That is not significant to me and apparently to the stock market.
I have a hard time believing we're going to go the whole year and get nothing more than a refresh of iPhone 5 internals.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:36 AM   #11
KPOM
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by saturn88 View Post
If history is a guide, they won't have any significant new product announcements until next YEAR. I mean, all we suppose to get this year is the iPhone 5s refresh. That is not significant to me and apparently to the stock market.
We'll likely see a more substantial update to the iPad this year, and perhaps the iPad mini. If the rumors are true and there is a "cheaper" iPhone in the works (e.g. a device with an iPhone 5 screen but iPhone 3GS-like plastic body) that would be a HUGE deal even if the technology update isn't as significant.

Apple's issue right now is that its biggest current markets are saturated. iPhone struggles in Europe because phones aren't subsidized, and they have yet to strike a deal with China Mobile. If they release a less expensive phone, we may see margins go down, as with the iPad mini, but volumes go up.

What was telling was that the iPhone 4 was supply constrained. Apparently it was also popular on Verizon. If Apple can offer a "free" (really $450) phone that isn't 2 year old technology, that could be very appealing to a lot of people. Remember, T-Mobile is going to start selling the iPhone soon, and they are also getting rid of subsidies across the board. Subsidies are less common in Europe, and virtually nonexistent in the rest of the world. The $450 iPhone 4 isn't competitive in unsubsidized markets.

Samsung has gained ground at the high end, and so Apple's response may be to attack at the mid range.
KPOM is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:41 AM   #12
iAco
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KPOM View Post

----------

They have more cash and short term investments on hand than Google and Microsoft combined. If they don't have a big acquisition planned, then distributing some of it to its owners makes sense. Shareholders often prefer buybacks to dividends because taxes are lower on capital gains than dividends.
You sound like a duck quacking.
iAco is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:46 AM   #13
Herculeinstein
macrumors newbie

What does Apple plan on doing with all that money they have? I don't think they know what to do with it. They're too cheap to give it to their investors or buy anything meaningful with it. Other than their lawyers they don't want to pay anyone for anything.
Herculeinstein is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 03:50 AM   #14
dazed
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
I wonder how many people on this forum understand that reference
dazed is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:16 AM   #15
KdParker
macrumors 68030

Congrats on a good year for Apple....

Hope there are more innovations coming this year to keep the growth going.
KdParker is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:19 AM   #16
ghostface147
macrumors 65816

Releasing 6.1 and 10.8.3 today?
ghostface147 is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:25 AM   #17
Mike MA
macrumors 6502a

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface147 View Post
Releasing 6.1 and 10.8.3 today?
Also my thougth - at least 10.8.3 should be ready after all these builds
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:23 AM   #18
iAco
Banned

They had a winning quarter-over-quarter for a while now. How come the congratulations comes now? Oh snap! It's because Apple's stock is heading south and it will be the last stunning quarter from Apple for a while.

What a way to juice your employees.

Too bad in the end Google will dominate the world with marketshare and data and services that are just a little more useful then hardware build by folks with OCD. But don't get me wrong, I love the shiny toys!
iAco is offline   10 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:25 AM   #19
HenryDJP
macrumors 68030

I really don't understand why the stocks have dropped so dramatically if Apple reported a record breaking quarter?
HenryDJP is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 09:31 AM   #20
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryDJP View Post
I really don't understand why the stocks have dropped so dramatically if Apple reported a record breaking quarter?
Simple... Apple didn't meet sales targets, esp on iPhone 5. Profit margin was down. Investors don't see anything to fuel additional growth. Shorter: Apple needs a new "big thing" product for the stock to break out on the upside again. Cook needs to deliver.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 10:48 AM   #21
Ryth
macrumors 65816

Quote:
Simple... Apple didn't meet sales targets, esp on iPhone 5. Profit margin was down. Investors don't see anything to fuel additional growth. Shorter: Apple needs a new "big thing" product for the stock to break out on the upside again. Cook needs to deliver.
So because Apple doesn't meet a bunch of analysts who can't tell their you know what from their head, that's Apple's fault? Same analysts that haven't addressed Q4 was 1 week shorter?

The iPhone 5 was constrained by supply. Any other company would wet their pants to have 2 products that they cannot keep stocked on the shelves and Wall Street would reward those companies. iMac was down because of display yields...not because of demand.

A few things you obviously missed...
-Biggest company in the world still grew 18%. Re-read this and absorb it.

..there...now after that has sunk in to those that just don't get how substantial and mind blowing that is...
Apple still...

-Sells more iPhones in 1 quarter than did Samsung of their whole S series in 1 year.
-Cannot meet enough demand for 2 of it's products due to popularity.
-Adds 16 billion to the cash.
-Moving into China where growth is enormous.
-PC sales are down showing that tablets are all the majority need. Growth into PC % is huge.
-Quarter was 1 week shorter then last year.

There is plenty of growth potential. The issue is that Wall Street treats Apple differently.

But hey...Wall Street uses rational/logical analysis right? I mean...Google jumps $50 after losing 6% in ad revenues and $1.5B in sales revenues from a hardware business they should have never bought in the first place.

When Apple moves into Google/Androids sandbox in China and starts taking market share from them, the analysts will reward Google with something to the tune of "Well heck, that only means Google now has growth potential...buy buy buy" where if it was Apple and they lost any % points, they would go "Look at how much share Apple is losing..sell sell sell"
Ryth is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:04 AM   #22
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
Don't be such a homer. The stock is down for a reason. You can paper over the cracks, but facts are facts, and fact is Apple missed its estimates, which the stock price is based on. Also look at the internals, not the headlines.

Apple's growth is slowing down because the iPhone is mature. The iPad is getting there. And the rumors of a new "big thing" Apple product are thin.
Old Jan 24, 2013, 11:09 AM   #23
Bubba Satori
macrumors 68040

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
So because Apple doesn't meet a bunch of analysts who can't tell their you know what from their head, that's Apple's fault? Same analysts that haven't addressed Q4 was 1 week shorter?

The iPhone 5 was constrained by supply. Any other company would wet their pants to have 2 products that they cannot keep stocked on the shelves and Wall Street would reward those companies. iMac was down because of display yields...not because of demand.

..there...now after that has sunk in to those that just don't get how substantial and mind blowing that is...
Apple still...

-Sells more iPhones in 1 quarter than did Samsung of their whole S series in 1 year.
-Cannot meet enough demand for 2 of it's products due to popularity.
-Adds 16 billion to the cash.
-Moving into China where growth is enormous.
-PC sales are down showing that tablets are all the majority need. Growth into PC % is huge.
-Quarter was 1 week shorter then last year.

There is plenty of growth potential. The issue is that Wall Street treats Apple differently.

But hey...Wall Street uses rational/logical analysis right? I mean...Google jumps $50 after losing 6% in ad revenues and $1.5B in sales revenues from a hardware business they should have never bought in the first place.

When Apple moves into Google/Androids sandbox in China and starts taking market share from them, the analysts will reward Google with something to the tune of "Well heck, that only means Google now has growth potential...buy buy buy" where if it was Apple and they lost any % points, they would go "Look at how much share Apple is losing..sell sell sell"
Impressive.

Are you familiar with the phrase, spitting into the wind?
Bubba Satori is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 04:31 PM   #24
britabroad
macrumors member

Quote:
Actually, not entirely true. They met their own targets - in fact, they superseded them. They didn't meet financial analysts' projections. So despite a fantastic year for them, selling way more than they expected and way more than last year, because those not connected with the company thought they'd do better, their stock went down.
britabroad is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2013, 08:20 PM   #25
Chupa Chupa
macrumors G3

Quote:
Originally Posted by britabroad View Post
Actually, not entirely true. They met their own targets - in fact, they superseded them. They didn't meet financial analysts' projections. So despite a fantastic year for them, selling way more than they expected and way more than last year, because those not connected with the company thought they'd do better, their stock went down.
Right. And kids everywhere say the same thing to their parents and school counselors... "I set out to make straight Bs and I did. So what if you thought my potential was As."

When you revisit reality, it's investors that dictate Apple's share value, not Apple. This was hardly the stellar quarter and I say that as a shareholder and Apple Fan. Apple's going to make lots of money guaranteed just like Microsoft or any large company. Question is how are they going to grow earning, not just rely on current customers trading up? They need truly fresh product and ideas, not just more incrementalism. Tim Cook suggested we'll see it this year. I hope for his and Apple's sake that's true.

MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > MacRumors.com News Discussion