|Jan 24, 2013, 12:48 PM||#1|
Pricing for mid 2011 Imac and 2012 Macbook Pro
My situation is the following: I will most likely spend at least one year studying abroad. This is why i figured my 27" Imac would be wasted staying at home and not getting used. Also, i feel my 13" Macbook will not be entirely capable of all the tasks i will have to do.
2011 27" Imac, the base model. I did, however, upgrade the Ram to 12 GB.
2012 Macbook Pro, base model. I switched the HDD for an 480 GB OCZ SSD.
Both in very good conditions, no dents or anything. The Imac has one dead Pixel.
How much do you think is appropriate for either of these Machines?
I would like to buy a 15" retina Macbook or a similar Windows Laptop as a replacement and would be thankful for any recommandations here as well. Besides the every day tasks, i will mainly be using it for 3d Stuff like Zbrush, Cinema 4d, Maya, etc.
EDIT: Also, would you recommend selling now and buying the Retina now or to wait for the update? I will be leaving at the end of august.
Last edited by Rasan; Jan 24, 2013 at 01:08 PM.
|Jan 24, 2013, 03:33 PM||#2|
Seems to me....
you can use as asking price $1050-1150 for the iMac and $1450-1600 for the MacBook, being these asking prices tops. Good care of the machines, remaining AppleCare and no cosmetic/functional issues can help in the price. IMHO the dead pixel in the iMac opens the deal to price down, by request of some serious buyer.
About to wait or no for the new Retina, you mention you are leaving in August. So maybe you are best served waiting to get a new computer, with the latest techno and upgrades. But also consider that the price of the equipment you want to sell right now is more open to decrease, not to improve....
If selling through an online site factor in shipping costs/fees....
Mac Pro 2012 3.06 Westmere version, 12 Core 64 GB RAM, 4 TB , iPhone 5 (black), Moto G 8 GB (black)
|Jan 24, 2013, 09:56 PM||#3|
As for to upgrade now or wait, given that it is extremely likely for Apple to discontinue the non-retina design in favor of the retina design (which is obviously its natural successor), if you want a non-retina, buy now. If you want a retina, you are late enough into the MacBook Pro rev cycle that it makes much more sense to wait.
You could probably get $1700-1900 for your iMac and $1400-1600 for your 13" MacBook Pro.
MacBook Pro (15" Mid 2012); PC Tower (3.4GHz Phenom II x4; Radeon HD 6850); 5th Gen iPod touch; 2nd and 3rd Gen tv; iPad Air Verizon; Galaxy S5 Verizon
"Don't Cry, Eat Pie"
|Jan 27, 2013, 05:15 AM||#4|
Thank you for your input!
I don't know how much the prices differ here in europe, but i think i will try to get 1200 - 1100€ for my imac and 1200-1300*€ for the macbook.
I also thought about buying a non-retina MBP, but when i configure it with an SSD, its even more expensive than the retina.
I'm eligible for a student discount at my college, and i can get the retina for 2530 € with 16 GB of ram, the 2,6 i7 and applecare. I would stick with the base 256 Flash and buy an external thunderbolt or USB 3 drive. I already have 2 additional displays, so i think this, or waiting for the next gen retina would be the best option.
What do you think?
|Feb 7, 2013, 07:33 AM||#5|
So i found a buyer who wants to buy my Imac for 1100 €. Now i have to backup all my data and restore the imac to factory conditions. But here is the problem: I do have a SL DVD, but with the imac i got a free upgrade to lion. Is there a way to wipe the disk clean and reinstall Lion instead of SL without having a physical copy of lion? As i am going to sell it i would rather not log in with my apple ID and download the upgrade again, or is there a way to delete my apple ID again when done?
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Mid-2012 MBP Ram into Mid-2011 iMac||csjo00||Mac Basics and Help||2||Oct 23, 2013 11:19 AM|
|iMac mid 2011 vs late 2012||pierreluc102||iMac||4||May 5, 2013 08:02 PM|
|Ram from iMac late 2012 in MacBook Pro mid 2009?||Pejsen||iMac||3||Mar 8, 2013 03:55 AM|
|MacBook Pro purchase decision. Late 2011 vs. Mid 2012.||florsignol||Buying Tips and Advice||3||Jul 24, 2012 09:10 PM|
|MacBook Pro purchase decision. Late 2011 vs. Mid 2012.||florsignol||MacBook Pro||0||Jul 24, 2012 07:47 PM|
All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:38 PM.