Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

michaelmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Hi all,

I have the 2012 iMac (SSD) and have spent the best part of the morning trying to install Win 7 via Boot Camp but without luck.

It seems the issue is I am using an external DVD superdrive and it is not possible to finish the install using the Win 7 DVD.

Looked at other options (new disk image from the DVD - rename cdr to iso, boot camp assistant to create USB install - which hangs) but nothing working so far!

Is there an easy guide to this somewhere please? Just want Win 7 via the DVD to install!

drambuie

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2010
How far through the install process is the install getting? One of the first things Win 7 does is copy the complete installation image to the HDD. After that's done the DVD is no longer needed.

TouchArchive

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2012
IL
Hi all,

I have the 2012 iMac (SSD) and have spent the best part of the morning trying to install Win 7 via Boot Camp but without luck.

It seems the issue is I am using an external DVD superdrive and it is not possible to finish the install using the Win 7 DVD.

Looked at other options (new disk image from the DVD - rename cdr to iso, boot camp assistant to create USB install - which hangs) but nothing working so far!

Is there an easy guide to this somewhere please? Just want Win 7 via the DVD to install!

You can use USB/windows 7 installer on boot

michaelmac

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2006
Hi all,

This was much harder than I though. I couldn't get the install completed using a USB connected Apple Superdrive. In the end I downloaded an ISO (3Gb) from Microsoft and went through Boot Camp assistant to create the USB bootable flash stick. A few other pointers in case it helps others:

• Tried the USB flash stick in my USB hub - didn't work! Had to plug it in the back of the iMac
  • No wireless mouse at all - even on the initial Windows setup screen to choose language. Had to use a wireless Logitech mouse with a USB dongle plugged in to the keyboard USB port to work
  • Install took ages for the Windows updates.... And how much room does this stuff take up. Wow, used up 80Gb so far with little to show for it! In fact just checked and there is a hibernation/restore type file in there at 25Gb! Will delete/turn this off asap...

Otherwise all OK. Installed Kaspersky and all done. Not sure I am that pleased with seeing Windows on my shiny new iMac but need it for something.

Good luck for anyone trying this.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.