Register FAQ / Rules Forum Spy Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
Go Back   MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:37 AM   #1
MacRumors
macrumors bot
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Analysts Share in Blame for Apple's Stock Drop, Says Fortune




The 10% drop in Apple's share value following the company's earnings release earlier this week was not entirely the fault of Apple, Fortune suggests, but rather that of overheated analyst predictions.


Fortune assessed the accuracy
of the predictions made by 68 analysts, and found that revenue figures ranged from $51.7 billion to $65.69 billion against Apple's actual performance of $54.51 billion. It produced a ranking of the analysts by the percentage errors in their predictions for both revenue and earnings per share, as well as overall performance metrics.

The analysts responsible for the sometimes wildly optimistic forecasts were not, said Fortune, doing Apple any favors.
Quote:
The company didn't have a bad quarter. In fact, it posted its best quarter ever ... But the stock market is an expectations game and Apple is expected to blow past analysts' estimates, not miss them.
The Fortune piece wryly observed that 'another way of looking at it is that Apple's analysts did worse than the company this quarter.'

Going forward, Apple has altered the way in which it provides guidance for upcoming quarterly performances. While the company had previously issued single "conservative" guidance estimates for both revenue and earnings that led to the expectation that Apple would always handily beat that number, it is now providing a range of guidance numbers for revenue and other factors.

Apple believes that the range will provide a more realistic idea of where the company expects performance to fall, although it is no longer providing any specific earnings per share guidance and instead allowing analysts to develop their own numbers based on the ranges of revenue, margin, expenses, and tax rate the company expects.

Article Link: Analysts Share in Blame for Apple's Stock Drop, Says Fortune
MacRumors is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:40 AM   #2
Ryth
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fortune? Why does this go to a CNNMONEY story at Apple 2.0?
Ryth is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:41 AM   #3
Killa Aaron
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, IL
Stupid analyst, one of the reasons why the economy is so messed up, listening to these dummies.
__________________
Aaron Olive deviantART
iMac 27-inch, Mid 2011, 2.7 GHz i5, 8 GB RAM, 1 TB HD
Killa Aaron is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:23 AM   #4
sza
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa Aaron View Post
Stupid analyst, one of the reasons why the economy is so messed up, listening to these dummies.
Analysts are not stupid, the listeners are.
sza is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 12:37 PM   #5
shotts56
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by sza View Post
Analysts are not stupid, the listeners are.
Correct. Analysts don't move share prices, people who buy & sell shares do.

But when it goes wrong for you, culture these days is to find someone to blame. "Boo hoo, it was all those nasty analysts fault". The same as six years ago when you could no longer afford the mortgage that you committed to, "Boo hoo, it was all those nasty bankers fault".

There's always someone else to blame.
shotts56 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 06:39 PM   #6
kas23
macrumors 603
 
kas23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Here, maybe you guys can understand this (also nowhere to be found on MRs):

http://www.businessinsider.com/annotaded-charts-why-apples-world-record-breaking-business-doesnt-impress-investors-2013-1?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+typepad%2Falleyinsider%2Fsilicon_alley_ insider+%28Silicon+Alley+Insider%29&utm_content=Google+Reader
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 07:22 PM   #7
chagla
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killa Aaron View Post
Stupid analyst, one of the reasons why the economy is so messed up, listening to these dummies.
short term memory eh? it was in fact some analyst just a few days ago when apple share was declining and right after his comments, share went up instantly. it hasn't been that long. google it.

it is OK for analysts to always say positive about apple, never negative.
__________________
Really cool Android apps: <> gesture search <> airdroid <> drivedroid <> unified remote <> swype <> mightytext <>
Highly useful/enhance your Android experience.
chagla is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:41 AM   #8
powerslave12r
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Quote:
.. was not entirely the fault of Apple, Fortune suggests, but rather that of overheated analyst predictions


This is the funniest thing I've read all day.
powerslave12r is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:42 AM   #9
madsci954
macrumors 68000
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Ohio
So what they're saying is...

Dear analysts,
Shut the hell up!
Sincerely,
Fortune
madsci954 is offline   16 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:44 AM   #10
Tankmaze
macrumors 65816
 
Tankmaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Quote:
But the stock market is an expectations game and Apple is expected to blow past analysts' estimates, not miss them.
so analyst would predict an expectation like say... 10000% growth for apple and when it doesn't meet their expectation, the stock plummet ?
good job analyst !
__________________
Check out our game Tank Maze
Tankmaze is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:48 AM   #11
Simplicated
macrumors 65816
 
Simplicated's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Waterloo, ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tankmaze View Post
so analyst would predict an expectation like say... 10000% growth for apple and when it doesn't meet their expectation, the stock plummet ?
good job analyst !
Exactly. These analysts set an impossible-to-meet target and then cause the stock to plummet. That's why I hate these m**********rs.
__________________
Clarus says "Moof!"
Simplicated is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:03 AM   #12
AppleAlfred
macrumors member
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Winnipeg, MB, Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simplicated View Post
Exactly. These analysts set an impossible-to-meet target and then cause the stock to plummet. That's why I hate these m**********rs.
The analysts don't "cause" the stock to plummet, it's all the stupid traders selling the stock because it doesn't meet expectations. If people knew anything about investing, they would realize that Apple is now way undervalued and is still a solid company. I'll be gobbling up as many shares as I can, and if you've looked a lot of analysts still have much higher targets on Apple.
__________________
MacBook Air (Mid 2012) - 1.8/8/128
iPad w/ Retina (3rd Gen) - Black 16
Galaxy S IV - Black Mist 16
Apple TV, 3rd Gen
AppleAlfred is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:12 AM   #13
charlituna
macrumors 604
 
charlituna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleAlfred View Post
The analysts don't "cause" the stock to plummet, it's all the stupid traders selling the stock because it doesn't meet expectations.
Yes and no. The traders listen to the analysts and many of them are making wild guesses at what they think Apple will perform based on zero do knowledge about upcoming products, production line issues and so on.

Apple knows these things and based their numbers in that knowledge. So what the analysts really should be doing is asking if Apple can make their own estimate based on what is going on like product launches, new services etc.

But they just make up numbers that aren't likely to be met and the traders trust them and follow their 'didn't met expections' doom and gloom

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryth View Post
That's my one issue with Tim right now. Steve responded to BS if it threatened the company and came out like a lion.
Tim Cook is not Steve Jobs, he is not going to act like he is etc. mainly because folks would see right though it and see that 'he's just fronting like he's Steve,major lame'

And Tim did call out the analyst BS in the earnings call. It was brought up by several sites. He didn't cuss at them and tell them to **** or call out names but he did point it out in his own quieter style.
charlituna is online now   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:21 AM   #14
palmharbor
Banned
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
stock market

The stock market buyers and seller act on rumor...hyped opinions by big firms who have already sold short...its the home of "panic". At one time they loved MicroSoft and though Apple was just a computer used in schools and Ad agencies and there was no future for the firm. They also thought at one time
Sony was a great buy and would always do great things and the price of Sony was way pumped up. If you watched Cramer the Stock Guru on CNBC and bought on his tips you would have lost money each time. I did.
Larry Kudlow on CNBC who predicted the market was going to tank in December then in January and he of course was wrong both times.
palmharbor is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:03 AM   #15
kas23
macrumors 603
 
kas23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
The problem with MacRumors is that it chooses to exclude certain news stories. The news stories presented usually paint a rosy picture for Apple. So, when people see the stock prices fall, they become confused. They then start searching for excuses. MacRumors should also be reporting this:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...s-Reach-Record

And this:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...n-Characterize

Once people read these articles, they'll be more prepared to see a falling Apple stock price instead of looking for excuses.

Last edited by dejo; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:18 AM. Reason: Clickable links.
kas23 is offline   4 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:14 AM   #16
extricated
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
"not entirely the fault of Apple"

You think?
Apple had record-breaking earnings for yet another quarter.
extricated is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:14 AM   #17
JGRE
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dutch Mountains
Analysts think they have to comment any company even if they they don't understand squad about the strategy and performance of the company. They only want to bring sensational stories which make them look good. It is all about sensation and greed.
__________________
iPhone 5s, 2008 iMac 20", 2011 MBP 13", ATV3, iPad Mini.

Last edited by JGRE; Jan 26, 2013 at 04:36 AM.
JGRE is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:23 AM   #18
notjustjay
macrumors 603
 
notjustjay's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Canada, eh?
This shouldn't surprise anybody. We go through this right here on these forums with every Apple product launch.

It's always the same. In the weeks before the product launch, the rumors start flying. The new product will have a brand new design! It'll be thinner! Lighter! With twice the power! And there will be a price drop! And a spec bump across the line! The whole line-up will be updated! No, replaced! No, this is going to be the start of a brand new product category! Here are some product mockups. Here's what these could look like!

Then the discussion starts flying. "Here's what I'd like to see!" People start predicting entire product lines, including estimated pricing, and start drooling about how awesome it's all going to be.

Then the product announcement happens. It's a new version number with a reasonable spec bump. The form factor is the same as last year's model but the price drops slightly. It's a competitive upgrade, but nothing revolutionary.

And then the complaining starts... What happened to the revolutionary new design? What happened to the brand new product line? We're so disappointed!

Nothing "happened to it". You guys made it all up in the first place. There's no way those expectations could ever have been met.

Every. Single. Time.
__________________
.
notjustjay is offline   15 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 03:17 AM   #19
macs4nw
macrumors 68020
 
macs4nw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: On Safari…..
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
This shouldn't surprise anybody. We go through this right here on these forums with every Apple product launch.

It's always the same. In the weeks before the product launch, the rumors start flying. The new product will have a brand new design! It'll be thinner! Lighter! With twice the power! And there will be a price drop! And a spec bump across the line! The whole line-up will be updated! No, replaced! No, this is going to be the start of a brand new product category! Here are some product mockups. Here's what these could look like!

Then the discussion starts flying. "Here's what I'd like to see!" People start predicting entire product lines, including estimated pricing, and start drooling about how awesome it's all going to be.

Then the product announcement happens. It's a new version number with a reasonable spec bump. The form factor is the same as last year's model but the price drops slightly. It's a competitive upgrade, but nothing revolutionary.

And then the complaining starts... What happened to the revolutionary new design? What happened to the brand new product line? We're so disappointed!

Nothing "happened to it". You guys made it all up in the first place. There's no way those expectations could ever have been met.

Every. Single. Time.
Gotta hand it to you, that's a pretty accurate analysis! And these rumors seem to go on for months, rather than weeks, after which come the parts leaks that only seem to create more confusion and stoke even more speculation. As much as I hate to admit it, being here, we're all part of it.
macs4nw is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:48 AM   #20
JGRE
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dutch Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by notjustjay View Post
This shouldn't surprise anybody. We go through this right here on these forums with every Apple product launch.

It's always the same. In the weeks before the product launch, the rumors start flying. The new product will have a brand new design! It'll be thinner! Lighter! With twice the power! And there will be a price drop! And a spec bump across the line! The whole line-up will be updated! No, replaced! No, this is going to be the start of a brand new product category! Here are some product mockups. Here's what these could look like!

Then the discussion starts flying. "Here's what I'd like to see!" People start predicting entire product lines, including estimated pricing, and start drooling about how awesome it's all going to be.

Then the product announcement happens. It's a new version number with a reasonable spec bump. The form factor is the same as last year's model but the price drops slightly. It's a competitive upgrade, but nothing revolutionary.

And then the complaining starts... What happened to the revolutionary new design? What happened to the brand new product line? We're so disappointed!

Nothing "happened to it". You guys made it all up in the first place. There's no way those expectations could ever have been met.

Every. Single. Time.
Right, there were even "smart people" complaining where the holographic keyboard went (http://obamapacman.com/2011/08/iphon...concept-video/). Get real!
__________________
iPhone 5s, 2008 iMac 20", 2011 MBP 13", ATV3, iPad Mini.
JGRE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 09:31 PM   #21
szw-mapple fan
macrumors 6502a
 
szw-mapple fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGRE View Post
Analysts think they have to comment any company even if they they don't understand squad about the strategy and performance of the company. They only want to bring sensational stories which make them look good. It is all about sensation and greet.
greet? you meant greed right?
szw-mapple fan is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 04:30 AM   #22
JGRE
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Dutch Mountains
Quote:
Originally Posted by szw-mapple fan View Post
greet? you meant greed right?
Yes, sorry for the typo.
__________________
iPhone 5s, 2008 iMac 20", 2011 MBP 13", ATV3, iPad Mini.
JGRE is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:40 AM   #23
ovrlrd
macrumors 65816
 
ovrlrd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by kas23 View Post
The problem with MacRumors is that it chooses to exclude certain news stories. The news stories presented usually paint a rosy picture for Apple. So, when people see the stock prices fall, they become confused. They then start searching for excuses. MacRumors should also be reporting this:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...s-Reach-Record

And this:

http://www.businesswire.com/news/hom...n-Characterize

Once people read these articles, they'll be more prepared to see a falling Apple stock price instead of looking for excuses.
Actually they have reported similar articles in the past, the problem is that they have almost no relevance as to the recent stock changes and have no reason to be mentioned in this kind of context. Market shares and vendor shipments have very little impact in stock market value, as hard as that is to understand.
__________________
15" rMBP 2.7GHz+16GB+768GB :: iPhone 5 32GB :: iPad Mini 64GB Wi-Fi
ovrlrd is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:12 AM   #24
jm001
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
What's your point? Both articles were positive for Apple and actually the first article was covered (the data at least) by Macrumors several days ago.
jm001 is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:59 AM   #25
kas23
macrumors 603
 
kas23's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm001 View Post
What's your point? Both articles were positive for Apple and actually the first article was covered (the data at least) by Macrumors several days ago.
Those articles show Apple's slipping market share. The growth of Samsung is greatly outstripping the growth of Apple. If one actually looks at the numbers, not just read the headlines, they'll see that these numbers are actually not good news for Apple. The wording of these headlines is the real manipulation here.

Plus, give me a link of where MRs reported these number. They just came out yesterday.

----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by ovrlrd View Post
Market shares and vendor shipments have very little impact in stock market value, as hard as that is to understand.
Yep, paltry market share growth would have no impact on investor confidence in Apple.

Last edited by kas23; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
kas23 is offline   0 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > News and Article Discussion > Mac Blog Discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Apple share on a paper stock sk1wbw Community Discussion 14 Oct 7, 2013 01:49 PM
How much would Apple stock drop if... TSE Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 5 Sep 8, 2013 04:51 AM
US Smartphone share: Analysts vs Actual sales data minimo3 iPhone 4 Apr 25, 2013 08:31 PM
Anyone buy Apple stock when it was $704 per share? OJ Simpson Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 4 Nov 5, 2012 04:22 AM
Apple Stock to be $1000/Share 1Q2013? onepremiere Apple, Industry and Internet Discussion 8 Jun 13, 2012 03:33 PM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC