Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following up on his report from earlier today about Apple's plans for the full-size iPad and iPhone, iLounge's Jeremy Horwitz has a new article sharing additional information on Apple's mobile device plans. The information comes from a "trusted source" and discloses product code names for the various devices as well as plans for an upgrade to the rear camera system for the iPhone 5S.
The iPhone 5S is still months away from mass production, but our source suspects that the star feature will be an upgraded rear camera--perhaps featuring Sony's 13-Megapixel sensor, plus the aforementioned flash upgrade--along with a processor bump. Current prototypes are codenamed N51 and N53, with July mentioned as the target date.
The source indicates that the code name for the fifth-generation iPad is J72, while the second-generation iPad mini has a code name of J85.

iphone_ipad_ipad_mini_update.jpg

The report indicates that the second-generation iPad mini is unlikely to appear until October of this year, roughly the same timeframe as for the next full-size iPad. Sources have scant information on the actual device, but suggest that it is likely to retain essentially the same form factor as the current model and add a Retina display. A move to a Retina display without increasing the physical size of the device would almost certainly necessitate a change in the display technology such as the adoption of new IGZO panels.

Some previous reports had indicated that the iPad and iPad mini could see updates as soon as March as part of an effort to accelerate the product development cycle, but iLounge's claims of an October launch are more in line with a recent report from frequently accurate KGI Securities analyst Ming-Chi Kuo.

Article Link: iPhone 5S Said to Feature Upgraded Rear Camera, iPad Mini Update Targeted for October

Ryth

macrumors 68000
Apr 21, 2011
I find it hard to believe that we will have nothing new in March or April and Apple back ends everything in Sept and Oct with their 3 major products (iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini)

bbplayer5

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2007
Boring OS = yawn. Look at Ubuntu, or even the new BB OS. They are so much more advanced...

iOS is too plain and boring.. heck my MOM uses it now.

Apple Knowledge Navigator

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2010
It doesn't matter how many megapixels the camera is - the sensor and lens are still tiny. Great for snaps out and about (and obviously social media), but I'm more concerned about things that actually affect userbility, such as screen glare and, cough, iOS.

Phx08

macrumors member
Nov 7, 2012
O.M.G. must buy the same phone again just to get better rear facing camera...take my $$$ :apple:

nippyjun

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2007
Yawn. They better have more up their sleeves than a better camera. How about a 128meg version and different colors.

stukick

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2000
Ya know, just today I was thinking, if Apple updated the rear camera on the iphone soon, then I'll upgrade to the iphone 5s instead of the samsung galaxy 2 in a few weeks. Now that's innovation.

And Apple wonders why their stock is in free-fall.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I don't think for one minute that the camera will be the only difference.

However, for me iOS7 > hardware.

So what if Apple does a 1080P 4.5" phone. If the software doesn't make the most of the new hardware capabilities there is no point.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
I find it hard to believe that we will have nothing new in March or April and Apple back ends everything in Sept and Oct with their 3 major products (iPhone, iPad, iPad Mini)

I agree, that's too long to wait while the Android Camp will be rolling out lots of new offerings in the coming months.

jkdsteve

macrumors member
Sep 12, 2006
Meh...I want a bigger iPhone not the biennial 'S' moniker, would argue that the iPhone 4s and 5 have plenty enough CPU/GFX power.

Adding pixels on tiny lenses, sensors = pointless.

djakemc

macrumors newbie
Sep 20, 2012
Tell me again, which part is good news for investors that would like to see something in the First Quarter?

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
I don't think for one minute that the camera will be the only difference.

However, for me iOS7 > hardware.

So what if Apple does a 1080P 4.5" phone. If the software doesn't make the most of the new hardware capabilities there is no point.

Agreed. 1080p is strictly unnecessary in phones. I have never once noticed or even heard about someone complaining about pixelation on the iPhone retina displays. Just think of the GPU power and the battery power it would waste.

Tulipo

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2011
No way the next iPhone has an upgraded camera. This rumor is too unbelievable.

Nimrad

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2010
What I want is some really good new features software-wise! Please Apple, please!

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
What a disaster if we really know their plans 8 months out and on top of that the updates will be this dull. My excitement for Apple is waning.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

Invitations for iOS 7 event in March/April . Presentation in May . iPhone with iOS 7 launch July

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.