Go Back   MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:28 PM   #1
bonskovsky
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
The Mini is Apple's weakest offering

I think the iPad mini is Apple's weakest offering. It doesn't live up to the iPad standard because it doesn't have a retina display. It's not as powerful as an iPhone because it isn't small enough.

There's not enough packed into it that makes it a desirable product. It's like most tablets that are release where it's a generation behind from the moment that it's released.

It's on the iPod touch standard now. It's there, but it's just not a flagship product. If you compare it to the Galaxy Note, it's not even as good because it has no calling capabilities.

Last edited by bonskovsky; Jan 25, 2013 at 10:46 PM.
bonskovsky is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 10:51 PM   #2
7thson
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Six Rivers, CA
You are entitled to your opinion, but how do you explain the huge popularity of it if its their weakest offering?
7thson is online now   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:00 PM   #3
ZBoater
macrumors 604
 
ZBoater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sunny Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
...There's not enough packed into it that makes it a desirable product....
LOL! Funny!
__________________
iPhone 6 Plus | iPad Air 2 | MacBook Air | Thunderbolt Display | Apple TV | Time Capsule
ZBoater is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:08 PM   #4
craigsharp
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Oklahoma
Send a message via AIM to craigsharp
Typing this from my mini at the moment, as for my family and I we absolutely love our mini! Very desirable to my 8 year old daughter, my wife who loves her retina iPhone 4 and myself who has been an apple user since 2003... We use it more than our MacBook and it fits perfectly in my youngest daughters diaper bag for easy carry on long and short trips. So I would venture to say we aren't the only family who is in love with our mini.
craigsharp is offline   5 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:04 PM   #5
JPNFRK7
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I think the iPad mini is Apple's weakest offering. It doesn't live up to the iPad standard because it doesn't have a retina display. It's not as powerful as an iPhone because it isn't small enough.

There's not enough packed into it that makes it a desirable product. It's like most tablets that are release where it's a generation behind from the moment that it's released.

It's on the iPod touch standard now. It's there, but it's just not a flagship product. If you compare it to the Galaxy Note, it's not even as good because it has no calling capabilities.
So the iPad 1 & 2 weren't true iPads either because they didn't have a retina display?
JPNFRK7 is offline   7 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:08 PM   #6
rocknblogger
macrumors 68000
 
rocknblogger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: New Jersey
Send a message via Skype™ to rocknblogger
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7thson View Post
You are entitled to your opinion, but how do you explain the huge popularity of it if its their weakest offering?
Price and the Apple logo
__________________
Don't be stupid.
rocknblogger is offline   8 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:16 PM   #7
luqtotheman
macrumors regular
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
I agree.

The mini is weak, they just made it because they knew they had to compete with the Nexus 7.

I hate when people say the regular ipad isn't portable as if its 15 pounds. I don't see the point in having a mini if I have an iphone 5. To me the mini doesn't do anything better than either iphone 5 or ipad.

mini is good for kids and women so they can put it in their purse.
luqtotheman is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:22 PM   #8
bonskovsky
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I could tell you what compelled me to buy every Apple product I own. But as for the mini, there was nothing that compelled me to buy it. If the iPad mini is not their weakest offering, what is?

I looked at it for about 5 seconds.
bonskovsky is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:26 PM   #9
zephyrnoid
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Geneva Switzerland
Wow. I haven't stopped bye in a while. As I anticipated months ago, the Mini would fall short and it did in one particular area, form-factor. I've been happily carrying my Nexus7 in most of my overcoats while my Mini toting buddies have to stow them in carry cases and the such. I do wish I had two cameras rather than one but hey, I saved $200 over the Mini.
So we shall see what 2013 brings in the way of new tablets.
__________________
"Big Brother Lives in the Cloud"
zephyrnoid is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:34 PM   #10
akdj
macrumors 65816
 
akdj's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Alaska
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I think the iPad mini is Apple's weakest offering. It doesn't live up to the iPad standard because it doesn't have a retina display. It's not as powerful as an iPhone because it isn't small enough.

There's not enough packed into it that makes it a desirable product. It's like most tablets that are release where it's a generation behind from the moment that it's released.

It's on the iPod touch standard now. It's there, but it's just not a flagship product. If you compare it to the Galaxy Note, it's not even as good because it has no calling capabilities.
Lol...comedic post of the day. As an iPad mini AND A Galaxy Note owner I can tell you with certainty that the mini lays waste to the Note. We also returned our Nexus 7. Unavailability of tablet optimized apps, a crappy 'portrait' functionality, and still very, VERY Sticky...the iPad mini is as smooth as any iOS device. I've also got the iPad 4 and I've owned each iteration of the iPhone. IMHO, the mini is the 180░ opposite of Apple's weakest device. In fact, for anyone that's been around longer than 30 days (talking to the OP)---the Mini is clearly one of Apple's most recent successes. Easily outselling the Nexus and/or ANY other tablet smaller than the iPad itself.

What a joke. On well....always fun to read comments from the ignorant.

J
akdj is offline   11 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:27 PM   #11
mrsir2009
macrumors 604
 
mrsir2009's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I could tell you what compelled me to buy every Apple product I own. But as for the mini, there was nothing that compelled me to buy it. If the iPad mini is not their weakest offering, what is?

I looked at it for about 5 seconds.
You could also say that the 11" MBA is Apple's "weakest" offering when it comes to Macs.
mrsir2009 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:40 PM   #12
Luis2004
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I think it's so dumb to proclaim an opinion as if it were fact.

However, I do agree that the mini is Apple's weakest offering. But that's like saying that Cadillac's weakest offering is the ATS. Yes, it might be, but it's still a Cadillac!
Luis2004 is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:39 PM   #13
flavr
macrumors 6502
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I could tell you what compelled me to buy every Apple product I own. But as for the mini, there was nothing that compelled me to buy it. If the iPad mini is not their weakest offering, what is?

I looked at it for about 5 seconds.
Starting this ignorant thread is an obvious cry for some attention...

Ive owned

4 imacs
4 macbooks
1 powerbook
2 ibooks
2 ipods
3 iphones
iPad 1 and 4
time capsule
3 mac desktop towers
apple tv

the iPad mini is the best user experience and Apple product Ive owned so far...hands down

enough said, anything more is wasting my time giving you the attention you crave by starting this foolish thread...Im disgusted i even replied

Last edited by flavr; Jan 25, 2013 at 11:45 PM.
flavr is offline   9 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2013, 11:55 PM   #14
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
...If the iPad mini is not their weakest offering, what is?
iPod Shuffle
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   6 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:10 AM   #15
Fruit Cake
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
It's not the full experience of an iPad for sure, but it seems to hit the spot, in that it will do most of what people want from an iPad. For me however I make good use of the retina screen so ipad4 all the way for me.
Fruit Cake is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:01 AM   #16
adildacoolset
macrumors 65816
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lusaka, Zambia(If you know where it is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I could tell you what compelled me to buy every Apple product I own. But as for the mini, there was nothing that compelled me to buy it. If the iPad mini is not their weakest offering, what is?

I looked at it for about 5 seconds.
People aren't necessarily disagreeing with you on that.

They're disagreeing when you say that it's not very desirable. Because the mini looks to be loved by many. That extra $100 over a nexus 7 is a premium. Apple always charge a premium for it's logo.

I know it sucks, but once you get past that, it's a very desirable product. And I've learnt that the app experience is extremely crucial. In my experience, I had to look for android tablet apps for my dad's note 800. Only a few months ago. The experience sucked so much.

1. Despite the note 800 having a resolution barely higher than Samsung's phone, the apps were very very pixelated. Really, why can't Google also make a distinction between tablet and phone apps?

2. Building on that, another app I downloaded was clearly built for a phone. Everything in the app was at right top-right corner. Stupid.

After that, I gave up. Google, IMO, did a very bad move by blurring the distinction between a tablet and phone app. It's up to the developers to include "HD" at the end of their app.

That's a reason why people would want the iPad. Apps. It does it much better than android tabs
__________________
Last edited by adildacoolset; Tomorrow at 09:42 AM. Reason: grammar error
adildacoolset is offline   2 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 08:18 AM   #17
darngooddesign
macrumors G3
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Atlanta, GA
Quote:
Originally Posted by adildacoolset View Post
...That extra $100 over a nexus 7 is a premium. Apple always charge a premium for it's logo.
That premium is due to Google not making a profit, and possibly taking a bit of a loss, on the N7. While Apple could have priced the Mini at 200, it would have made no money from it and that's untenable from a business perspective.
__________________
128 giggity... giggity... gigg-i-ty
Lego Apple Store
darngooddesign is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 02:10 AM   #18
QCassidy352
macrumors G3
 
QCassidy352's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: San Francisco
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I could tell you what compelled me to buy every Apple product I own. But as for the mini, there was nothing that compelled me to buy it. If the iPad mini is not their weakest offering, what is?
mac pro or ipod classic, both of which are literally years out of date.
__________________
"If Jesus Himself came back to earth and turned water to wine, half of MacRumors would say 'meh, this is red. I wanted white.'"
QCassidy352 is offline   1 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:07 AM   #19
solaris
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Oslo, Norway
I do want an iPad mini, but find the current model lacking in several areas:
- No Retina Display.
- No A6/A6X processor.
- No 2600 MHz LTE support (= not LTE in most of Europe).

Some day...
solaris is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 09:21 PM   #20
rockyroad55
macrumors 68040
 
rockyroad55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Phila, PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I could tell you what compelled me to buy every Apple product I own. But as for the mini, there was nothing that compelled me to buy it. If the iPad mini is not their weakest offering, what is?

I looked at it for about 5 seconds.
The mini isn't for everyone. Guess you weren't the target market.

And oooooh special you that you can tell us why you bought every Apple product you own. Nobody here gives a crap.
__________________
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's too late to stop reading it.
rockyroad55 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 12:00 PM   #21
bartzilla
macrumors 6502a
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I could tell you what compelled me to buy every Apple product I own. But as for the mini, there was nothing that compelled me to buy it. If the iPad mini is not their weakest offering, what is?

I looked at it for about 5 seconds.
I didn't realise that the industry had switched to "whether bonskovsky feels like buying one or not" as the new ISO standard for how product desirability is measured. How does this new standard work? How does it measure things like whether or not you've got a big bonus to blow or the store you walk into having something that's not in your normal price range on sales price? I want to hear more about this fascinating and innovative market research tool.

It's a matter of opinion. You don't like it, that's fine. My nephew got one for Christmas and loves it, that's also fine. Neither of those events makes the ipad mini apple's "weakest" or "strongest" product.
bartzilla is offline   3 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27, 2013, 01:08 PM   #22
bonskovsky
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartzilla View Post
I didn't realise that the industry had switched to "whether bonskovsky feels like buying one or not" as the new ISO standard for how product desirability is measured. How does this new standard work? How does it measure things like whether or not you've got a big bonus to blow or the store you walk into having something that's not in your normal price range on sales price? I want to hear more about this fascinating and innovative market research tool.

It's a matter of opinion. You don't like it, that's fine. My nephew got one for Christmas and loves it, that's also fine. Neither of those events makes the ipad mini apple's "weakest" or "strongest" product.
Nonsense. Apples strongest product is their MacBookę. Don't be so na´ve.

I used to visit Apple's website all the time. During their last offerings. I think you can tell that the iPhone 4S and last round if products are the last ones that Jobs actually worked on.

Last edited by bonskovsky; Jan 27, 2013 at 01:17 PM.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:03 PM   #23
polaris20
macrumors 68020
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I could tell you what compelled me to buy every Apple product I own. But as for the mini, there was nothing that compelled me to buy it. If the iPad mini is not their weakest offering, what is?

I looked at it for about 5 seconds.
Thanks for sharing your opinion. My sister loves hers, and wouldn't buy an iPad until the Mini came out, due to size. The screen looks amazing. Is your opinion worth more than hers (or any of the other millions of people who bought one)?

I love how the iPad's screen was fine, until the retina version came out. Then nothing but retina will do.
__________________
2.4Ghz i7 15" rMBP | 1.7Ghz Haswell 13" MBA
iPad Air 32GB, 64GB iPhone 6 | HP XW4600 Ubuntu 14.04
VMWare ESXi 5.5, Thinkpad w/ Win8.1 Pro
polaris20 is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:16 AM   #24
bonskovsky
Thread Starter
Banned
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
I don't even know why they make 11 inch MacBooks. But hey, Macs are great!

Something about the iPad mini is missing. I mean it's literally a carbon copy of everything else Apple makes. Just a different size.

Does anyone else think that they whipped this up in response to the rumors? It just feels that way.
bonskovsky is offline   0 Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26, 2013, 12:25 AM   #25
Kadin
macrumors 6502a
 
Kadin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by bonskovsky View Post
I don't even know why they make 11 inch MacBooks. But hey, Macs are great!

Something about the iPad mini is missing. I mean it's literally a carbon copy of everything else Apple makes. Just a different size.

Does anyone else think that they whipped this up in response to the rumors? It just feels that way.
I don't see that at all. I'm very impressed with it and honestly I don't have one single gripe. Yeah Retina would be nice... but at this price/size/weight, I'm perfectly happy without it.
Kadin is offline   1 Reply With Quote

Reply
MacRumors Forums > iPhone, iPod and iPad > iPad

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Similar Threads
thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is iTunes iOS' weakest link? SmileyBlast! iPhone 29 Feb 12, 2014 02:09 PM
Apple Retail Stores Begin Offering Walk-In Sales of Retina iPad Mini Models MacRumors MacRumors.com News Discussion 33 Nov 25, 2013 05:06 AM
What was the weakest update to iPhones MrXiro iPhone 52 Oct 12, 2013 08:04 PM
Walmart Offering 16GB Wi-Fi iPad Mini for $299 MacRumors iOS Blog Discussion 39 Apr 8, 2013 05:28 AM
Help me find the weakest link! CirrusPilot MacBook Pro 12 Dec 4, 2012 12:37 AM

Forum Jump

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:11 PM.

Mac Rumors | Mac | iPhone | iPhone Game Reviews | iPhone Apps

Mobile Version | Fixed | Fluid | Fluid HD
Copyright 2002-2013, MacRumors.com, LLC