Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Gauntlet999

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 26, 2013
Just wanted to report that I received a upgraded iMac w/ the updated graphics chip and 16GB of RAM, also opted for the 1TB Fusion Drive.

I was running a late 2009 iMac that I think had a early i7 in it.

The difference is astounding. I had backed up to Time Machine for the past few years and although it took 12 hours for everything to come over, it was all intact and a perfect image of my last computer. I've never experienced that much of a seamless transfer. I was also running Parallels and everything on the virtual machine came over flawlessly. All I had to do was reactivate my Windows 8 License which was done quickly over the phone via their automated system = props to MSFT for making that one easy (Windows 8 still sucks though...).

The machine is flawless and in the particular room we have it in it is quite beautiful. Even though the back and base are very similar to the last generation there is a added elegance to the thin edge and I am enjoying seeing it more than I did my last machine.

Performance is flawless, with the Fusion Drive it is extremely quick. Parrallels w/ W8 was taking 2-3 minutes on the last machine, here it's probably less than 30 seconds. The machine is silent compared to the last generations noisy chugging.

I know the desktop market is shrinking and I realize this machine costs $3000. That being said there is nothing would I rather own, form and function are still in balance and there is no additional learning curve on how to use it or where my files are.

I'm glad to answer any questions that you guys might have. Over the learned I've lurked a lot here and learned a lot of information from these boards - including when I was working in store management for Apple up to last year. So thanks guys and in some way I hope this report helps someone out...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.